Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" MacBook Pro question. . .

17" MacBook Pro question. . .
Thread Tools
Buck_W
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2008, 10:48 AM
 
I am considering an upgrade to my current 17" PowerBook. Since I haven't heard when the NEW 17-inch MacPro's are going to come out, I am comparing the current 17" MacBook Pro with the new 15" MacBook Pro. One of the primary differences appears to be with the video cards:

15" - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
17" - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with 512MB

Would someone explain the difference between these two configurations in laymen's terms? Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
 
I do not have an answer to your direct question. However there is much room for improvement in a new 17" MBP. They could have dual mass storage available (any combo of SSD and large HDs), more available RAM, latest GPU, new displays, evolutionary pricing, etc.

The landscape of the 17" MBP world may change at Mac Expo SF in January, which would likely include lower prices for existing 17" MBPs. IMO Mac Expo SF and/or OS 10.6 (expected June at WWDC, maybe sooner) is the earliest that anyone with a currently good working system should consider upgrading.

-Allen Wicks
     
Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 1, 2008, 11:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The landscape of the 17" MBP world may change at Mac Expo SF in January, which would likely include lower prices for existing 17" MBPs. IMO Mac Expo SF and/or OS 10.6 (expected June at WWDC, maybe sooner) is the earliest that anyone with a currently good working system should consider upgrading.
I'd be willing to wait until Mac Expo in January, but I don't about waiting until June, especially since it's still a roll of the dice at this point in terms of when/whether an updated line is on the horizon.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3
     
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 1, 2008, 11:22 AM
 
I'd wait til January Macworld Expo, or maybe a few weeks after that as they quite often roll out updates with no show within a few weeks of an expo. This year they had an update a week for the first few months!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,