Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Backup Options for Windows

Backup Options for Windows
Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 10, 2010, 09:13 AM

I'm on the board of a local non-profit interested in backing up their Windows PC's. I use Time Machine with an external HD to back up my Macs, but I am totally out-of-the-loop with regard to what's available on the Windows side. They are considering Carbonite. What services/options would you guys suggest and why? Thanks!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 03:10 PM

How many PCs? It might be worth getting a Windows Home Server and having them all back up to that (even the Macs can Time Machine to it.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2010, 08:51 PM

About 3 or 4 PCs for now.

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2010, 09:26 PM

Windows 7 by chance? It has some good backup options. Windows 7 Features: Backup and Restore

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2010, 08:41 AM

If you've used the backup options with Windows 7. . . Are they similar to the simplicity and ease of Time Machine. . . i.e. just plug in an external HD, etc.?

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2010, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I've used the win7 backup options and they seem to work well for backup and even scheduling an entire system imaging. Seamless in my experience. However, I've never needed to restore so I haven't tried that.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2010, 01:17 PM

What is the difference between imaging or backing up your system and restore? If Windows 7 backs up everything on the PC like Time Machine on the Mac, then wouldn't that be a much cheaper route to go, as compared with a service like Carbonite?

I guess being off-site (Carbonite), you would have the additional protection from fire or theft if your external HD (or server) used for back up was stored in the same office as your PC. With regard to off-site backup, are there other services that any of you would recommend?

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2010, 01:28 PM

I don't know anything about carbonite. It really depends on how much data needs backing up and how often. You could use a service like dropbox. Have your backups copy there, then they'll be auto-synced to the cloud, securely, up to 2 GB free. This is a great way to keep seamless backups "off site" accessible even via the web, iphone, and other computers.

Or just make the dropbox folder your common place for files, documents, etc., and all saves and changes will always be immediately updated and synced (like a continuous, rolling backup).

To answer your first question: imaging makes a clone of your entire hard drive. This is good if you want to restore an entire system exactly as it existed at the time of the clone, or if (in a volume-license setting) one wanted to create a standard system, generalize it, and deploy it across an enterprise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules