Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod will charge, but not mount

ipod will charge, but not mount
Kissargi
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 02:18 PM

My iPod has worked fine up until today, but now it wont mount and the system profiler says it has no information for firewire. The really strange thing is that the ipod will still recharge when connect it. Anyone know how can it receive power but not data? Its a 20gb 3g ipod.
Can anyone help? or is this a job for the apple service dept?

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 03:05 PM

I had the same problem with my iPod (3G 40gb) and took it to the Apple Store here in Chicago, and they replaced it on the spot.

Kissargi  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 03:11 PM

unfortunately my ipod is out of warranty by bout 6 months i really need it in 10 days time too, very annoying.

StonedRose
Apr 12, 2005, 04:51 PM

Did you try to reset it?
Aloha.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 11:22 PM

Sometimes my iBook has overlooked its iPod, but all that was required to restore the connection was a restart. If that fails, you can try the following: right after you connect the iPod, hold the previous and next buttons; it should force disk mode. If you can't get it to go into disk mode that way, reset the iPod while it is connected and hold previous and next. I was able to get my dysfunctional 2G into disk mode this way when other attempts to mount it failed. If you're able to mount it, you may want to backup and restore (erase) the unit.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2005, 12:19 PM

Do you other firewire devices work? I had the same problem and my firewire port was fried on my Mac.

elementality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 12:29 PM

I had this same problem recently with my original 5gb iPod. I gave it to a friend who is an Apple Certified Technician. He said my problem was due to the design of the original iPod. Plugging and unplugging the firewire cable eventually had pulled the firewire port off of the board (this is supposedly why they went to the dock-style design, among other things I'm sure). Thus, it would charge but wasn't getting a good enough connection to mount.

Anyhow, he told me it would be just as cheap to get a new one as to fix it. So I ended up having to get a new one. I do have that original sitting on my desk still though. I hope someday to get it working again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 05:11 PM

Wow, interesting account, elementality. I had never heard anything like that before.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules