Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Oct 30, 2018 Mac/iPad event

Apple's Oct 30, 2018 Mac/iPad event (Page 4)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2018, 12:46 PM

I’ve been hearing of an annoying “coil whine” with these Toshiba SSDs Apple has been using. Seems to be a common complaint amongst the audio nervosa crowd (I’m a bit particular myself). Anyone bought a mini, or a laptop recently? Is this actually an issue?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Dec 2, 2018, 06:44 PM

Hold up - how can there be coil whine related to the type of NAND on the SSD? If the SSD has a supercap I suppose there could be coilwhine, although I haven’t heard it before, but that isn’t related to the flash?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2018, 11:47 PM

I don’t know the whys. I’ve just seen lots of intarweb complaints about it on the mini and MBP, and some allegations that it’s somehow related to the Toshiba SSDs used.

P
Dec 3, 2018, 05:06 AM

I have never heard of an SSD causing coilwhine. The PSU would seem the likely culprit.

Does the mini use an Apple SSD - the T2 as controller and then flash from someone - or is it a 2.5" SATA drive?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2018, 06:38 AM

There’d have to be a coil for there to be coilwhine.

Coils are used in transformers and filters.

Either they’re not hearing coilwhine, or they’re not hearing the SSD.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2018, 06:39 AM

Doing a quick Google, I get the impression some Toshiba SSDs make noise, but it’s sonething other than coil whine because as P and Spheric said, there aren’t any coils.

It’s more a “crackle”.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2018, 09:50 AM

Yeah, it’s unclear what the actual issue seems to be. But there are a lot of online complaints.

OreoCookie
Dec 6, 2018, 03:26 AM

That sounds like a very weird issue to me, I have never heard of SSDs whining or crackling.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2018, 04:09 AM

Here’s the example which comes up in searches.

Scrub to 30 seconds in.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2018, 10:46 PM

Yeah, there are threads on MacRumors for example of a whining noise from these latest MBPs/minis. Who knows. Anyways I got an i5/256/8gig mini. Still playing around with it but no whine that I can see.

One huge bummer is my Thunderbolt (1) drive enclosure. I got an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from an Apple Store which is supposed to work. It did perfectly, and then about 30 minutes later all my drives ejected and the mini immediately crashed and shut down. After this happened several times I figured out it appears to be the enclosure attachment—no issues with the mini after I unplug it. After the third crash I got a device error light on the enclosure, and according to the manufacturer it’s probably got a hardware issue.

Checked online, and these T3-to-T2 adapters have all sorts of complaints about not working properly. Ugh. I just got an OWC 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 enclosure which hopefully should solve the issue, but not cool at all.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2018, 12:15 AM

A lot of murmurs about Apple pushing service revenue hard and I already fear how it will muck up iOS 13. If iCloud or Apple Music get any more intrusive than they already are I may be done, unless Apple finally relents and puts back in oldtimer/leave me the F alone/I’m not an idiot mode.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2018, 01:02 AM

They finally got iCloud storage money out of me for backups.

WiFi sync hasn’t worked on my phone for years.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2018, 03:15 PM

WiFi sync has literally never worked for me. What is the deal with that feature?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2018, 08:21 PM

It’s been working fine since I got my Xs, and was working „mostly“ fine for years before that.

I did have to connect the previous phone via cable occasionally to get it to sync wirelessly again, and I had a weird issue for a long while where it would partially sync, cut off, and then sync the partial playlists back over as „iPhone special 1“, „iPhone special 2“, „iPhone special 3“, etc.

That went away at some point. Though it did then take to deleting music that hadn’t been synced before insert the house from the playlist, so I’d have a bunch of incomplete albums.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2018, 10:21 PM

One of my phones worked for 6 months, but that was ancient history.

My iPads have always worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules