Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How can I accelerate my dual 867 ?

How can I accelerate my dual 867 ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2004, 02:55 PM

Hi I have a powermac G4 dual 867 and I'de like to upgrade it in order to gain some speed ... without buying a G5.

What are my options ? Can I upgrade the processors for example ?

Thanks in advance
S k y p a t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 03:54 PM

Is that the MDD?
OWC have no CPU upgrades listed. Maybe the dual 1.25s would fit from a faster MDD.
Or perhaps you can overclock it.

If none of that appeals, more RAM will often gain some speed in general usage, as would a SATA PCI card and Western Digital Raptor SATA 10krpm HD. Or some kind of flash SCSI drive if you want to spend a fortune.
Or perhaps a Radeon 9800.

Depends what you want the speed for.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 03:50 AM

Hi Waragainstsleep

Yes that's a MDD dual 867.

I just would like to accelerate my mac without spending money on a new G5

I think a CPU upgrade could be nice, but as you say, I don't think there is one available for the dual 867 (I even don't know if there will ever be one because the bus speed - 133 Mhz - seems to pause a problem here).

About the memory, I have 512 MB. Upgrading to 1 GB will make a little difference I think. I won't really feel it. But it may help.

Upgrading my poor geforce 4 32 MB. Would it make a difference with Expos� for example ? Expos� works great now, except when too many windows are open. It becomes shoppy then.

What are my choices (graphics card) ?

Thank you :-)
S k y p a t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 05:34 AM

OWC lists your options as Radeon 9000AGP, Radeon 9200PCI (Not worth it unless you want to run another monitor), or Radeon 9800pro AGP.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 05:39 AM

Given that there are no CPU upgrades for any MDD PowerMacs (check www.otherworldcomputing.com) your options are quite limited. Updating the video card will make a difference mainly in games, not that much in everyday work. Expos� might be a faster but that's about it, you will only feel a slight improvement if any. I would suggest an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Edition for US $160.

Adding another 512MB of RAM will also increase performance especially when doing lots of things at once and having a lot of apps/windows open at the same time. Given that RAM has become cheap, I'd suggest you get a 512MB Corsair or Crucial memory upgrade (PC2100 aka DDR266 will do given that you only have a 133 MHz FSB). Don't go cheap here, every buck saved will come back and bite you in the arse sooner or later.

And last but not least, think harddrive. A software RAID 0 will improve performance from slightly to dramatically. You won't feel a difference when working with an app but they will open much faster, swapping will be much faster and apps that perform a lot of read/write operations like Photoshop will also be faster.

That's about it, there's nothing more you can do until somebody will introduce CPU upgrades for your machine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 09:53 AM

Radeon 9000 for $160 is pretty expensive. Too expensive if you're upgrading from a GeForce 4MX (even though the 4MX sucks). I found myself a 64 MB Radeon 8500 for $50. Yeah, it was the PC version, but it just happens to be the one that is physically identical to the Mac version, so it's easy to flash to Mac.

A Radeon 8500 will be a bit better than the GeForce 4MX, especially the 32 MB one, but if you want a major performance boost, go for a Radeon 9700. You're lucky to have an MDD (I guess) because the MDD is the only Mac that can use the Mac version of the Radeon 9700. It's between the GeForce 4 Titanium and Radeon 9800 in speed, and it has 128 MB of VRAM.

Another possibility is a Radeon 9600 from a G5 off eBay. A lot of people try to push these cards for $200+, but they only have 64 MB of VRAM and they're not worth over $150. Although they're not natively compatible with a PowerMac G4, they will work after a simple modification. You can't use the ADC port though.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 02:54 PM

Thank you all for your answers ! I will think about this. Either invest in some new parts, wait for a processor upgrade or ... save for a G5
S k y p a t

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:30 PM

D'Espice, your sig is too big.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 05:08 PM

I own a Dual 867 and use a Radeon 9600. It's a much better card than either the 9000 or the 8500. My games went from unenjoyable on the 9000 to playable on the 9600. You need to tape a couple of pins to make it work out of the G5 (this takes about 1 min). The 9600 should be available for even cheaper than the 9000 (I sold my 9000 for more than I bought my 9600 on ebay). You can use Radeon Enabler to mess with the overrides in every game.

There is a con, though..Without Clever soldering, the 9600 ADC port will not power the display.

It's significantly less money than the 9800 and will boost performance from your current MX.

On the non-gaming side of things, boosting your RAM to 1GB, as others have said, will really speed things up.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:08 PM

Are you saying that the dual 867s are already starting to feel "slow" as far as total horsepower goes?

Originally posted by Skypat:
Hi I have a powermac G4 dual 867 and I'de like to upgrade it in order to gain some speed ... without buying a G5.

What are my options ? Can I upgrade the processors for example ?

Thanks in advance
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:59 PM

Bigger exhaust or racing stripes.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 02:39 PM

legacyb4 : yes It think it is a little slow ... The system seems sometimes not reactive. I click on the iChat icon and it takes a few seconds to open.
S k y p a t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2004, 04:51 PM

http://www.gigadesigns.com/products5d1012q.html

Gigadesigns offers a dual 1.2GHz upgrade.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
http://www.gigadesigns.com/products5d1012q.html

Gigadesigns offers a dual 1.2GHz upgrade.
...but it's not for the MDD.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

lenox
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 12:20 PM

I have a mdd dual 867 as well, and was/am in the same boat as you. I upgraded the graphics card to a radeon 8500, replaced the aluminum heat sink with the copper heat sink found in the faster/later models, and added another fan. As for the bus speed, you can change it to 167mhz, but it's not for the faint of heart and requires steady hands, check out xlr8yourmac.com for info on that.

From what I understand, upping the bus speed from 133 to 167mhz would necessitate purchasing new higher-rated ram and it would mean the processors were running at 933mhz each - unless you played with the multipliers, too.

There are definitely ways to speed up the mdd, but you also have to make sure to worry about heat dissipation first.

Good luck!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
...but it's not for the MDD.
What's the difference between an MDD and a QuckSilver?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 11:48 AM

This is a Quicksilver:

This is a Mirrored Drive Door:

On the outside, they look somewhat similar. On the inside, they're totally different beasts. The MDD has a much improved case layout, as well as a very different motherboard that accepts DDR RAM (Quicksilvers can only use SDR RAM). Also, there are no available processor upgrades for MDD PowerMacs.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
I have a mdd dual 867 as well, and was/am in the same boat as you. I upgraded the graphics card to a radeon 8500, replaced the aluminum heat sink with the copper heat sink found in the faster/later models, and added another fan. As for the bus speed, you can change it to 167mhz, but it's not for the faint of heart and requires steady hands, check out xlr8yourmac.com for info on that.

From what I understand, upping the bus speed from 133 to 167mhz would necessitate purchasing new higher-rated ram and it would mean the processors were running at 933mhz each - unless you played with the multipliers, too.

There are definitely ways to speed up the mdd, but you also have to make sure to worry about heat dissipation first.

Good luck!
Hi Lenox. Nice to read your experience. Did you feel a real difference after you upgraded your graphic card ? So today you have a dual 933 Mhz MDD ?

Thanks!
S k y p a t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
If you move the resistor, you'll get Dual 1.085GHz, according to my math. Which would be fine for a 7455 G4.

And yes, you'd need to replace the PC2100 RAM with PC2700 to accomodate the new bus speed.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

lenox
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:
Hi Lenox. Nice to read your experience. Did you feel a real difference after you upgraded your graphic card ? So today you have a dual 933 Mhz MDD ?

Thanks!
The graphics card made an enormous improvement, both in Quartz/Quartz extreme performance, and 3d games of course - though it's definitely not a gaming machine. Twice the vram was worth the $50 I spent on the card. I also believe that I am able to drive higher resolutions and refresh rates with my monitor. The PCI slot fan also keeps it from crashing, as the card is overclocked (those cards are quite easy to speed up - but not so easy to keep cool in a MDD!).

I haven't played with the bus or cpu speed of the machine just yet, because I'd have to buy faster ram - but the copper heat sink has helped keep the machine cooler and quieter than it'd usually be.

hope this helps!

york28
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
What's the difference between an MDD and a QuckSilver?
The QuickSilver case looks much nicer.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Forum Links
Forum Rules