Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Major problems w/Starmax 4000

Major problems w/Starmax 4000
ACEvb2
Oct 23, 2000, 08:22 PM

I just picked up a Starmax 4000/200 Desktop Mac Clone off of ebay and it came with Mac OS 8.5 installed. I set it up today but have not been able to get the cd rom to work regularly. I cant boot from a Mac OS system cd (8.5 or 9) by holding down "c" and when the computer loads up normaly i have to insert the cd 3 times for it to even appear in the finder, once nothing happens, second time "this cd is not readable by this macintosh" and the third time it appears but once you click on something the whole machine freezes up. So i have no cd rom, and no internet since my ethernet drivers are on a cd and no modem. what can i do?? i have seen the other problems with cd-roms and clones but i have no way to get anything into the starmax since the no internet/cd.

[This message has been edited by ACEvb2 (edited 10-23-2000).]

ramatana
Oct 24, 2000, 04:02 PM

The Starmax computers come with their own "Starmax" cd from Motorola that contains the system software and can be used as the start-up disk. This cd probably contains system 7.5 or 7.6, but should be capable of starting up the computer. You might want to check with the previous owner and see if they have the original Starmax cd.

The ramatana

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2000, 06:04 PM

Actually, I think I tried (unsuccessfully) to buy a Starmax off the same guy. According to him, "They were used by a company. We got them from a liquidator. We
really don't know much about them. We had about 100 in stock, and
now we have about 30. The unit is not the one pictured (since that
one was sold in the first auction). However, they all look pretty
much the same. You do not get the original system software CD. All
you get is a power cord, and a system installed on the hard drive."

Not much help to you now. I'd advise you to check out www.starmax.net as they are probably the premiere source of starmax info. Granted, their message boards are hard to get through, but I know there's a lot of info and helpful people at the site. Good luck!
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2000, 01:29 AM

Had the exact problem that you had with the CD-ROM drive. After searching for every driver I could look for I was able to locate the stuff I needed on the HD. If the drive has not been wiped clean I bet the CD-ROM toolkit file is still on the computer. Worked for me. If that does not work, I can get the files to you that you need when I get my Max brought up to me when my parents come up to visit.

Good Luck,
Nick

ACEvb2
Oct 27, 2000, 08:26 PM

i habe no cd for it but hopefully you could send me the files

Forum Links
Forum Rules