Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > another ibook prospect in need of advice.

another ibook prospect in need of advice.
weemsc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 04:12 PM

I've been reading this forum for about a week now, learning what people think about the ibooks and powerbooks, trying to make my mind up. As much as I hate to post another topic like this, I'm really stuck and could use some opinions.

I'm a college student unsure of a major. Right now I'm trying to decide between graphic design and business. I'm looking to buy a good notebook right now for several purposes.
One, I just need the basic functions, being able to take notes, check e-mail, surf the web and what not.
Two, music reasons, I'm into music and will use my apple for burning CDs and what not. (I plan on buying an external hard drive to store most of that).
Three as I'm learning more and more about graphic design and programing, I'd like to be able to implement these tools using my notebook.

I guess my real question is what notebook is best to hold me over for a couple of years until I decide my major? (when I decide I'll either have to buy an IBM laptop for business, or the apple G5 for graphic design) Once I decide, then I'll only use the notebook for note taking, e-mail and web surfing. Right now I don't have a desktop and I want to be able to have programs like dreamweaver or photoshop on my laptop. I'm worried that maybe I need to go with the powerbook. Right now I'm debating between the ibook 14" with the 933MHz, the ibook 14" with the 1GHz, and the powerbook 12" combodrive.

anyway, thanks very much for all the help.
-Chris Weems.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 04:23 PM

Although I have an iBook (700mhz) and like it very much, if I were buying today I would choose the 12" Powerbook. It will take more RAM and has double the cache, just for starters. And the price between the 1ghz iBook and Powerbook are exactly the same.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 04:44 PM

If you can afford it, get the PowerBook. The PowerBooks are awesome. Super thin and light, and fast of course. Otherwise I'd say go with the 933 MHz iBook, because the difference between that and the 1 GHz iBook is small, especially if you BTO a larger hard drive for the 933 MHz iBook. I would suggest doing that, by the way - you can't easily replace the hard drive in an iBook or a PowerBook, so get the largest drive right off the bat. You'll be glad you did.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 05:29 PM

i agree with everyone, get the 12" powerbook.

if you had said you were interested in the 12" ibook 800, i would suggest that one, due to the fact that the price between that and the powerbook is quite a bit and it will do everything you said perfectly fine. i was doing everything you said with a g3 800 12" ibook.

and now i am doing it all with a 12" 1ghz powerbook. i happened to have the spare cash to get the powerbook over the ibook when it came to buy the new laptop. you will not be sorry with the powerbook, it is amazing. i love it.

weemsc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 05:58 PM

thanks for all the input guys. Is the powerbook really that much better than the iBook? If you guys say that the iBooks will run the programs just as well as the powerbook, why upgrade to a smaller screen with less hard drive space?
again thanks so so much for the feedback.
-Chris.

radarbob
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2004, 09:12 PM

Look at the powerbook features that can't be gotten 3rd party or upgraded on the iBook to decide. Go to apple.com and carefully read their spec sheets.

My guess is that an iBook will serve your needs. Unless there is some built-in powerbook feature that is simply *must* have, then then a "maxed out" iBook will do you better than a "minimized powerbook".

I do not think that the Powerbook is so much more, better, faster that you'll be finishing your homework days earlier w/ a powerbook instead of an iBook.

My priorities would be:
1. portability - I would not get a 17'' screen powerbook.
2. Disk space - get the largest disk available for the model you choose. I.E. If something had to give, I'd spend money for a larger drive and smaller screen rather than vice versa.
3. memory - max out memory.
4. With the money I saved over a powerbook, I'd get applecare.

Remember that many/most/all colleges sell software for a song and a dance. I bought MS Office v:X for $10 at our university.

Why would you "have to buy and IBM laptop for business?" What is it in the business department that Macintosh cannot do?
( Last edited by radarbob; Jan 18, 2004 at 09:31 PM. )
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

weemsc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 09:58 PM

thanks for the input. I shouldn't have said I "have" to buy an IBM. The school requires that I run some version of a Microsoft OS and since my mom works for IBM I'd most likely go with IBM. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ibook. Thanks very much guys.
-Chris.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 01:09 AM

While I love my 12" iBook G3 and find it perfectly adequate for writing, web surfing, et al, in your case, I might go for the 12" Powerbook primarily because it can connect directly to an Apple digital monitor, which I understand is a superior screen for graphic design. So if you later decide to major in graphic design, rather than buying a new G5 or larger-screen Powerbook (the 12" screen wouldn't be big enough), you could just add an apple monitor and keyboard and get the best of both worlds. I believe the iBook lacks the connector needed to hook to an Apple monitor, although of course you could connect it to another brand monitor. But then, as I understand it, it wouldn't be digital. You'd also get the other advantages of a Powerbook -- faster chip, CPU et al. That's one of the only reasons I see for ever going for a 12" Powerbook (as opposed to the larger screen models) over an iBook at this point.

weemsc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 07:46 AM

I hadn't considered the 12" ibook because of the processor, question though, would that processor handle running photoshop and dreamweaver programs with no problem?
thanks again,
-Chris.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by weemsc:
I hadn't considered the 12" ibook because of the processor, question though, would that processor handle running photoshop and dreamweaver programs with no problem?
thanks again,
-Chris.
To answer your question here yes the 12" iBook will do this without much problem. Since Photoshop is Optimized for the G4 it will be fine.

I think the question is what are you able to afford.

Here are the specs for the 12" iBook
800MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 800MHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

This will handle your needs but if you do get into graphic design it will still work as long as the RAM is Maxed out. These specs are similar to the orginal Aluminum Powerbook 12".

The Powerbook on the other had is spec'd like this:
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go 5200 (32MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out
Bluetooth Built in

Plus if you wanted the option you can get a SuperDrive with the Powerbook you can't with the iBook not sure how important that is

The choice is really yours. What can you afford at this time. Either choice will last you for whatever major you decide. IMO
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules