Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Barcode scanning with new Santa Rosa MBPs?

Barcode scanning with new Santa Rosa MBPs?
cobra libre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 10:12 AM

Can anybody with a new Santa Rosa chipset MacBook Pro confirm that barcode scanning works well?

I'm having trouble scanning barcodes with my new MBP; I'd say that maybe 1 out of 10 books can be scanned with the built-in iSight, even with good ambient lighting. The following page reports that the new MBP's iSight has changed from previous versions, though I don't know if this is significant or not:

http://macdaddyworld.com/?p=9

I could just be doing something wrong, which is why I'd like to hear from other new MBP owners.

Thanks!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 10:37 AM

It's true (or at least, widely reported) that the built-in iSight's behavior in scanning barcodes varies from model to model, and even from machine to machine. This is why I advise starting your barcodes very far from the camera, then slowly moving closer, so you can find your individual machine's sweet spot.

That said, scanning on internal iSights has gotten better, not worse, with revisions. Scanning on the first generation iSight iMacs was possible, but not exactly a pleasure. My last-generation Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro scans as well as the external iSight scanning in Delicious Library 1.0 (being that the new research on scanning with the internal iSight ended up making scanning with the external iSight 200x more efficient).

So I have to imagine the new-new MacBook Pro scans even better, but I don't know. I guess we have a couple of machines coming for winning that Apple Design Award, so I should be able to give you a first hand accounting sooner or later.

Books usually scan pretty easily. Make sure you are scanning the correct barcode. Mass-market paperbacks typically have a useless barcode on the back, but a good barcode on the inside front cover.

cobra libre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

It could very well be that I just haven't gotten the knack of scanning, especially if nobody else with the new MBP has complained. I'll play around with this some more and reply back with results.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2007, 06:31 PM

It could also be you're right. We've done research that suggests there might be problems with the new higher pixel count, but we can't test it for reals (or fix it!) until we get those new machines. Don't worry though—if there's a problem, we'll fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules