Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Putting iBook in Freezer - need electronics expert

Putting iBook in Freezer - need electronics expert (Page 2)
Pele2048
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 04:41 PM

Water and electronics will mix perfectly if the electronics are off when the water is present. I've spilled sodas in keyboards then put them into the dishwasher... (top rack) and they work just fine afterwards. Just gotta give them a few days to dry out... Of course this was back before keyboards were $20 a pop... Still do it with my obscure keyboards like for ADB mac, HP-UX, DEC, SGI, and Sun systems

Think about this. You leave your laptop in the car, what kinda temps does a car get to? 120+ Deg F in the summer, and below Freezing in the winter... OFF should be fine between any of those temps. ALL consumer electronics should tolerate those temps while off

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 06:14 PM

Interesting. But the hard drive might be a little sensitive perhaps?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 10:21 PM

Great - it's settled. Can we close this forum now?

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by billybob128:
there is no such thing as "pure" water stratus fear and even pure water if you managed to get some would conduct a small ammount of current as there would still just be enough free electrons to carry the electric
100% chemically pure water will not conduct electricity. Of course, you're correct in that it's basically impossible to get any. Regardless, you need to conduct a certain amount of current before you actually get a dangerous short. But this isn't really anything pertaining to the point anymore...

-Q-
Jun 12, 2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Stratus Fear:
100% chemically pure water will not conduct electricity. Of course, you're correct in that it's basically impossible to get any. Regardless, you need to conduct a certain amount of current before you actually get a dangerous short. But this isn't really anything pertaining to the point anymore...
And that's all we have time for on this episode of Bill Nye The Science Guy. Tune in next week when we stew a forum thread at slow boil to see how long a topic can progress once the initial poster has answered his question.

Cipher13
Jun 12, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Pele2048:
Water and electronics will mix perfectly if the electronics are off when the water is present. I've spilled sodas in keyboards then put them into the dishwasher... (top rack) and they work just fine afterwards. Just gotta give them a few days to dry out... Of course this was back before keyboards were $20 a pop... Still do it with my obscure keyboards like for ADB mac, HP-UX, DEC, SGI, and Sun systems

Think about this. You leave your laptop in the car, what kinda temps does a car get to? 120+ Deg F in the summer, and below Freezing in the winter... OFF should be fine between any of those temps. ALL consumer electronics should tolerate those temps while off
Uh, sorry, but NO.

Certain components of integrated circuits do not, chemically, mix well with water.

This has nothing to do with electrical conductivity, but basic chemistry - you drop a piece of paper in water, what happens?

Right.

As I've said - if you put your iBook in a freezer, you're a bloody idiot.

Period.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Uh, sorry, but NO.

Certain components of integrated circuits do not, chemically, mix well with water.

This has nothing to do with electrical conductivity, but basic chemistry - you drop a piece of paper in water, what happens?

Right.

As I've said - if you put your iBook in a freezer, you're a bloody idiot.

Period.
how about actually explaining what will go wrong?

the piece of paper analogy is the dumbest thing i have read in a while.

you drop a piece of plastic in water, what happens?

does this mean paper works the same?

right.

contribute something usefull instead of insults.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
And that's all we have time for on this episode of Bill Nye The Science Guy. Tune in next week when we stew a forum thread at slow boil to see how long a topic can progress once the initial poster has answered his question.
What does it really matter? If you don't like it, you don't need to read it.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 07:57 AM

This thread is starting to smell like old milk. Why can't people just not move on if a topic doesn't catch them anymore..?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Cipher13
Jun 14, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by yakkiebah:
how about actually explaining what will go wrong?

the piece of paper analogy is the dumbest thing i have read in a while.

you drop a piece of plastic in water, what happens?

does this mean paper works the same?

right.

contribute something usefull instead of insults.
Uh, do I really have to explain how water damages transistors and integrated circuits? Do you know anything about electronics?

The aforementioned examples with keyboards are irrelevent. The majority of the area of a keyboard is made up of simple switches. Water will not harm switches when they're off - there's nothing to damage!

There are no transistors, there are no IC's! All there is to damage is the switch itself, which is an incredibly basic piece of electronics.

A SMALL portion of a keyboard, particularly a wireless one, is dedicated to more complex electronics - but not much.

I ****ing dare you all to put your MOTHERBOARD in the dishwasher like you did your keyboard.

Yeah, go on. Do it.

...thought not

Yakkiebah, the most useful contributions to this THREAD have been from me and those I agreed with/who agreed with me - don't put your freakin' laptop in the freezer.

Where's your useful contribution?

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 11:43 AM

from Apple - iBook - Technical Specifications

Electrical and environmental requirements
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz
Operating temperature: 50� to 95� F (10� to 35� C)
Storage temperature: -13� to 140� F (-25� to 60� C)
Relative humidity: 20% to 80% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
cipher your post still isn't very helpfull to the question of the original poster. it's about low temperature and condensation. wich can be controlled in a freezer.

everything else is irrelevant. it's not about taking your ibook for a shower.

billybob128
Senior User
Jun 14, 2003, 12:25 PM

cipher your post still isn't very helpfull to the question of the original poster

and the whole fact that it doesnt need to be there to help the origional poster...
the situation was resolved about 1 week ago now so there is no need to still be argueing on wat would happen if it went in the freezer

PEOPLE THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED SO THERE IS NO NEED TO POST AT ALL SO PLEASE DONT

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
cipher your post still isn't very helpfull to the question of the original poster

and the whole fact that it doesnt need to be there to help the origional poster...
the situation was resolved about 1 week ago now so there is no need to still be argueing on wat would happen if it went in the freezer

PEOPLE THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED SO THERE IS NO NEED TO POST AT ALL SO PLEASE DONT
If it bothers you, ask a mod to split the topic.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2003, 01:01 PM

Uh, do I really have to explain how water damages transistors and integrated circuits?
For what it's worth, I run circuit boards under the tap all the time. It's the easiest way to clean up after yourself if you've been soldering and using water soluble flux. No problems yet.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 03:00 PM

It would take quiet a bit of extended exposure for water to completely ruin a motherboard or expansion card...

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 02:03 AM

condensation is no joke. I had my PowerMac (G4 MDD) shipped accross the Atlantic via boat once. When I received it, I opened up the box to find condensation all over the outside of the case. I opened her up to find wetness all over the inside too.

Now, I hadn't seen My Powermac in about 3 months, but I had to open up the case and let it sit (and dry) for a day before I dared apply power.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Cipher13
Jun 18, 2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Carl Norum:
For what it's worth, I run circuit boards under the tap all the time. It's the easiest way to clean up after yourself if you've been soldering and using water soluble flux. No problems yet.
Over a circuit board is one thing - through IC's is another. :|

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2003, 09:33 PM

Over a circuit board is one thing - through IC's is another. :|
No it's not. The only reason I would be running it under a tap is because I've finished doing all the soldering and I am trying to clean it up. The boards I'm talking about are finished products.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 08:06 PM

you are not your signature

Forum Links
Forum Rules