Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > SETI@home users?

SETI@home users? (Page 5)
disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2000, 11:03 PM

Ok, I have to come clean, When Wlonh first brought up the Idea of Team MacNN for Seti I was a bit skeptical of the whole Idea. If you search through the archives you'll find how much of a waste of time I thought the whole SETI thing was. But hey, I'm kickin in my part now and I'll try to boost membership as well. Can we spam people? Pleeeeaaaase!!! Mass e-mail em! j/k I'll think of something.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2000, 08:08 AM

who is better than you, disectamac?

go go go radboy

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2000, 08:34 AM

Unfortunately the entire population of Seti@home and Apple's upper level management. But I'm not gonna let that stop me!!!!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2000, 01:25 PM

Re: Seti @ Home on OS X:

Have you tried:
./setiathome > /dev/null

As opposed to:
./setiathome

I suspect if the output is routed to /dev/null your block time will decrease. However, I am suspicious that the OS9 graphical client is faster in windowshade mode. If it indeed is slower, than the OS9 version will have to stay in. I am a member of a small 9 person team and it's interesting that of the people on that team, I am the only G4 and am by far the fastest at leapfrogging the others on the team. The most vocal anti-mac user is only about 100 blocks away and I will be passing him, much to his chagrin. The other person who is still ahead of me has eight machines (one of them a 700 mhz athlon and another is a dual cpu pentium box). My wife is about 20 blocks ahead of another user - she's using her imac dv se and he's using a 550 mhz pentium machine. She consistently stays ahead of him and I suspect will stay that way for a while.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2000, 01:31 PM

well it does seem that people agree that SETI does run faster (EDIT, boy i am dumb sometimes... i truly meant faster and NOT slower) in windowshade when it is an active app and not being used in screesaver mode

i never run it as an app, only as screensaver and set to blank screen at 1 minute, it has been said and it seems to be true that this is the fastest way (among other tweaks) to run SETI

but wow good news you are about to catch a pentium, sounds like you guys are crunching right along nicely

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-06-2000).]

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2000, 01:41 PM

I don't know Lon. I use to use windowshade running seti as an app and got about the same times as running the screensaver blanking after a min. There might of been just a little variance on times, so its hard to really tell along with seti units are not alike, which one is truly faster. The only reason im using the screensaver now is because im using SUM with it.

There might be a way to find out though. If you use SUM you can see each unit in the "In" folder. If you were to "cmd-d" or dupicate it, you could see which one takes longer by running the same unit in each mode. The whole thing is, Seti will realize that its a unit that you have done before and will not take it.

Either way, it sure kicks wintel machine times.

brock
Member of Overclockers-Network
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2000, 01:41 PM

Hi,
Seti and OSX... under X, I run it in windowshade mode if I am doing other work, otherwise, I always bring it to screensaver mode, blacking out the screen. It will be awesome when Seti is optimized for OSX and the G4 (not that I have a G4 yet, but holding out til the G4 Book...) Although the PB 500 is respectable at 5 1/2 hrs....
thanks
dave

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2000, 01:56 PM

OOPS see my previous post now edited

man i swear, the cogs are getting worn, i've stripped a gear again

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2000, 08:40 PM

For goodness sakes! Jbiga, the 10 spot is mine. Pretty good compitition of the top 10. YoEddy, while I think of it, don't blink! Your spot on MacNN is the next victim on my conquest list.

Lon is dust already, you might as well "know your roll" and move over. Sorry Lon, I just had to remind ya.

<reminding myself> This is for the name of science. </reminding myself>

cheers,

brock
Member of XiBase.com

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2000, 09:45 PM

well, i am the ONLY member of Team MacNN to have held all the top spots... 1, 2, 3, etc... and no one will ever do what i did! started at the TOP and worked my way down...

and at one time i was the ONLY member

such is life... my race is run... i'm old and relegated to the sidelines...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 09:53 AM

I like the fact that on my team I have a friend with eight computers (one with a dual cpu pentium) and I'm still catching up with him. He's absolutely freaking out, ready to break the bank and get more Intel stuff. He just hasn't thought to get a G4. Then I'd be in trouble.

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2000, 10:09 AM

Hehe....we could really use your current 397W/Us Todd. I see that your a guitarist and that's cool too. Wish your team good luck and I would join your guitarist team, but I'm happily committed to this team.

Good luck

brock

PS- nice to see those Mac/guitarist!!
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 12:15 PM

If you move from one team to the next, does it bring your work units with you? I haven't switched in a LOOOOONG time, and if I recall, months ago when you switched, it would not bring the wu's with you....
thanks
dave

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 12:20 PM

if you switch teams then the amount of WU you contributed to a team stay with it. The amount of WU are also taken with you to your new team. Wierd huh?

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2000, 02:18 PM

jbiga is doing pretty good at keeping pace with my W/U's.
Anyways, along with YoEddy, I might as well give a fair warning to Mulder and Scully. I'll have leave them in the X-files when I pass them here soon.

choppin' brocc-o-li
Member of XiBase.com

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2000, 07:37 PM

Tadd, I was just wondering if you got around to making the weekly stats like you normaly do?

Anyways, missed seeing them.

Brock
Member of XiBase.com

Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2000, 11:10 PM

My Seti@Home stats:

3410 hr 11 min
10 hr 01 min 47.8 sec

That's an iMac hook via Cable, with some PowerBook results when I have it on.

Unfortunately, I'm part of Team MacAddict (well, unfortunate for Team Macnn that is).

DocWest
Senior User
Jun 12, 2000, 09:10 AM

Hey Balthisar,

come on over to Team MacNN. We really could use the W/U's. Man, forget team macaddict. They have thousands of members, they wont mind if you join us. we're a small team, but growing fast. We are really starting to pump out the units too.

And surely you must be thinking about joining, otherwise why would come in here and tease us with your work units?

And that goes for anyone else too, if you're coming in here, reading the forums or just reading the latest mac news, come join Team MacNN. It's only fair.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2000, 10:59 AM

the good Doctor has a very salient point and i could not agree more with his sentiments

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 10:30 AM

Wow. I hate to say it but I'm actually glad I had a system problem. I was using Netscape and the machine crashed while it was writing to disk. It fragged part of my hard drive so I did a clean install of OS9, then copied all of my extensions, control panels and such to the new system folder and wiped the old one. I immediately noticed a much faster screen redraw with Seti at Home. I'm not sure why this is, either. I haven't done anything different than before that I can think of. Now I'm getting 5 hour 25 min block times consistently on my G4 400 sawtooth, sometimes less. Bizzarre. I'm not recommending destroying your already functioning systems, but it seems to have corrected a problem I didn't even know I had. Anyone else had an experience like this?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 12:37 PM

After you reinstalled your system folder, was the seti version you installed the same? I know that I had (I believe) Seti 2.01, and it was a total dog... took my G3 400 roughly 10-12 hours... awhile later when I realized there was an update, I updated (now at 2.04) and I consistently get around 6:30 to 7:30...
just my two cents..
dave

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2000, 02:28 PM

FYI, when you change teams, the old team gets your old work units, the new team gets your new ones... they don't get transferred, apparently (according to SETI page).

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2000, 02:42 PM

Before I joined Team MacNN, I was on a very small team. Easy to keep track of each person's totals to the Sum of the Teams. All I know is my accumlation of W/Us when I was on that team is gone. When I left, so did my stats. I know cause the team is really small (3 ppl) and it's easy math.

This was just my experience.

Brock
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 04:14 PM

What are other people's observations when switching teams... I am considering switching from my team (PHS Seti team) to the Team MacNN, but am worried about losing my WU's. I have, at last count, 3770 for myself, ddiokno, and would be very upset if I moved to this team and lost everything...
thanks for any feedback,
dave

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2000, 05:11 PM

I better be a little bit clearer dave. Don't want to cause confusion. As far as i've seen, your stats will always stick with you where ever you go. They will never change.

But in my case, My stats left my old teams and came to MacNN. I still had my stats, just that they all got transfered.

I've heard conflicting stories against mine, but in all cases, the person has kept their personal stats.

Brock

Hope this helps
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 05:21 PM

Brock,
Thanks for the clarification... I do remember back in June of last year when I just started dabbling with Seti and jumped between a couple of teams before starting my own that it was somewhat inconsistent with the way it treated the W/U's of the transferee... sometimes leaving them and also posting them to the new account, sometimes leaving them at the old account, sometimes moving them all to the new account, and one time deleting the w/u's. Again, that was a long time ago and I have been with my team now for close to a year without switching, so I want to have clarity before i do anything that might jeapordize all of my computer hours... not to mention the time put into my own team (I think 25th in the primary schools group).
thanks,
dave
:-)

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2000, 06:00 PM

WOW dave, I checked out Boston Area School group and saw you on there with 3770W/Us. We could really use a boost like that!! That would put us into the top 200 Clubs.

Come join the group.

brock
Member of XiBase.com

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 08:03 PM

In the readme that comes with 2.0.4 it clearly states that w/u's are transfered to your new team as well as left untouched at your old team.

hope that helps

DocWest
Senior User
Jun 13, 2000, 09:32 PM

Yep, all of your stats WILL stay with you.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2000, 11:22 PM

Hi. Nope, I've been running 2.04 only since I updated to it, haven't run 2.01 in....seemingly ages. At any rate, I'm slowly but surely inching my way towards 450 blocks.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2000, 07:38 PM

Some interesting (or not, depends on how utterly bored you are) statistics regarding block times. I made a screen capture of a given block as it was ending if I was near the computer when it was happening. Machine in question is a Sawtooth G4/400 mhz w/ 128 megs of ram:

Recent Seti @ Home Block Times:
5 hrs 34 mins 12Jun2K
5 hrs 39 mins 12Jun2K
5 hrs 45 mins 15May2K
5 hrs 48 mins 26Apr2K
5 hrs 53 mins 10May2K
5 hrs 57 mins 07May2K
5 hrs 53 mins13May2K
6 hrs 02 mins 18Apr2K
6 hrs 11 mins 20Apr2K

I also have an interesting screen capture where I was 93% into the block at 5 hrs and 11 minutes, but I had to leave before I could watch it complete.

Anyone else doing statistics on this? It's kind of interesting how much variance there can be in block completion times.

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2000, 07:33 AM

Lon is the MAN! What a good suprise to see MacNN stand behind its SETI@Home team by putting a link to our page on their home page. Lon knows who has been picking on him to get this done. Sorry about it, but I hope that will draw a some intrested ppl to our team.

brock
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2000, 12:07 PM

Is Setiathome undergoing a site update? They haven't updated the results since Monday? Anyone have a clue what is going on?
dave

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2000, 12:46 PM

You know, if you go to the User Account Area on SETI's page you can now check the details for your last 10 completed units, including time it took....
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/account_area.html

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2000, 03:09 PM

Matter of fact, you can check out your last 30 results if you wanted to. Just replace (=10) with (=30) then you can see the last 30.

brock
Member of XiBase.com

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2000, 04:08 PM

Tadd... on your two pc's... what version of Seti are you running... the graphical or command line? I noticed how long long your average w/u's are for those and you can really drop your times down. I see that they are running NT, so you shouldn't have a problem with this version... ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-2.4.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe . The times on my DEC personal workstation pII 333 went from around 20-24 hours graphical, to around 10 using the command line.
just a thought...
dave

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2000, 12:58 PM

Got my best timing so far: 5 hours, 13 minutes. Amazing. The ability to track the last 30 blocks done is a big help for me and my statistics gathering. Excellent. If I keep this up, I'll have a sub 5 soon.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2000, 01:19 PM

Ok, some how I got a unit done in 2 hours 45 minutes... hmm...

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2000, 01:53 PM

Misha, the same thing happend to me too. Usually, it takes my normal time according to what machine runs Seti or a few minute messed up Unit send back. I go a 2h 06m unit the other day. Oh well, good for my bloated average.

brock
Member of XiBase.com

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2000, 01:48 PM

When I started running SETI, I read that if a unit was full of interference, it would drop out early... well it happened yesterday...a 5min 13 secnd unit...knocked a full minute off my average time, now at 5hrs 57 min 44 sec(about equal to a 933MHz coppermine according to an article in The Register I found today)... thanks for the tip on viewing more than the 10 units, will check that out... time for more tweaks?
BTW you guys are really climbing, congrats to wlonh for his determination, keep crunching!

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2000, 06:12 AM

is there a way to allocate more memory to seti@home? i use a ram disk(2Mb) and have 192 Mb of ram. About this computer says seti is getting 18.8Mb of ram.
Thx
didn't think so, thx for the quick answer misha

[This message has been edited by keyser_soze (edited 06-19-2000).]

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2000, 06:54 AM

Not that I know of. Since it's a control panel, it takes all that needs...

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2000, 09:14 AM

yes you can allocate more RAM to SETI, easiest way is to use the Reaper, freeware...

i have not used it to boost SETI's RAM allocation, and very coincidentally was thinking of doing so late last night as i was falling asleep...

Reaper: HOMEPAGE

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-19-2000).]

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2000, 02:08 PM

Wow. I got a 7 minute and 11 second unit time. Ridiculous. I love those blocks so fraught with interference that it just gives up.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2000, 09:47 PM

Beat my best unit time tonight (no, I don't count the 7 minute unit time). 5 hours, 11 minutes. I think a sub 5 hour time may indeed be possible. Stand by.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2000, 09:55 AM

100 members

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 10:08 AM

well, yes and no... there are a few who felt the need to join more than once... i don't like it, but i am tired of policing everything all the time...

i just wish it would be one person, one entry... and that people would not be so presumptuous in the future as to do whatever they want as regards Team MacNN for SETI

*sigh*

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2000, 10:34 AM

Forgive my stupidity, but what's the reason for joining the club more than once?

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 10:51 AM

none, except that some have joined more than once because they have different/more than one Mac...

still it is not necessary to do and is unwelcome here, but oh well, i am tired of trying to get everyone to think first or at least ask, or to not be presumptuous and just join once

damn it i am flustered!! why must people take initiative in matters they are hardly familiar with??? when i go to a new jobsite, i do not throw my presumptions around, i ask questions and OBSERVE behaviours of the people who work at that jobsite everyday, whereas i am a hired gun to do a job for a limited period of time and will be gone when the job is done! so i have consideration and respect for the people who work at a given jobsite day in and day out!!!

if you ASSUME, you make and ASS out of U and ME

sorry for the rant, it's too often i see a lack of common sense

for more info on team macnn, get seti checker free at versiontracker.com and you will see the members who have more than one entry or visit the seti site and lookup team macnn

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-27-2000).]

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2000, 06:00 PM

It sounds like you need a good, relaxing vacation. =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules