Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Sidebar Icons Reverting To Generic Folders

Sidebar Icons Reverting To Generic Folders
Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 10:39 PM

Anyone know what might be causing this....... I recently ran Maxs' "Aqua ReStore" and I have overwritten my "Quartz Display" command line....... Would this be the problem? If so how can I fix it.

Mac OS 10.3.4

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 06:17 AM

I've noticed after a couple of logins / restarts, finder finally remembers sidebar icons

Lord Sith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 04:54 PM

Nope. Multiple re-starts, permission fixes, system ops and re-installation of CandyBar have not helped. I have it narrowed down that any folder from my Home directory (custom icon or not) will be represented as a generic folder icon in the Finder sidebar.

Anyone?

alexbratu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 05:53 PM

uninstall labelsx (if not labelsx, one of your other haxies). this bug should be better documented. it took hours if not days of searching before i came up with this solution.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 06:12 PM

yeah i have the same problem. my "downloads" icon changes to the default icon from the 200th iconfactory set after a while. its weird.

Lord Sith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by alexbratu:
uninstall labelsx (if not labelsx, one of your other haxies). this bug should be better documented. it took hours if not days of searching before i came up with this solution.
Labels X was the culprit, uninstalled and all is fine.

Thank You, alexbratu!

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 03:57 AM

Hmm...I actually have a similar problem, but i currently have no haxies installed (except for Transparent Dock, I guess, but is that really a haxie?). Problem for me is my Applications folder. I want it to show up with a custom icon, but it reverts back to the standard "A"-shaped ruler/pencil/paintbrush combo instantly in the Sidebar, even though the icon in the actual Finder window is the icon I want. Any ideas on this one since I don't think I have Labels X (or other haxies, Unsanity products, etc) installed?

Incidentally, the reason I have no Unsanity products installed is not because I hate them or don't find them useful or something, it's just because I did a clean reinstall recently (for leisure purposes...boy, was I ever bored last Saturday...) and haven't gotten around to tweaking out my system with all the haxies again just yet.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 05:21 AM

Since the Applications Folder has it's own place within CandyBar, I suspect that's the only way to force another Sidebar icon. At least, that's the way I do it. Even more, the same thing goes for the Desktop Folder and the Home Folder.
As for generic folders that eventually got a custom icon via the Info Palette, I've noticed the same inconsistency when dragging them to the sidebar : sometimes there's just a generic folder icon. I've had moderate success with a new folder (different name), custom icon, drag to sidebar and then move files.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 07:23 AM

I get this problem occasionally and I don't have LabelsX installed. I think the icon server just freaks out periodically.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I get this problem occasionally and I don't have LabelsX installed. I think the icon server just freaks out periodically.
I have every haxie under the sun installed including Labels X and I never see this problem

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 12:30 AM

Yeah, I had success up until the next reboot after I made a new Applications folder, dropped it in the sidebar, then switched the files over and deleted the original, but it went downhill after that since the icon switched back. And yeah, some of my normal old folders that I put in the sidebar (I have a "Downloads" folder in a "Desktop-Neo" directory on the sidebar) switch every once in awhile. But yeah, I don't use CandyBar either, so it's not an issue with CandyBar either, it's just an issue with the Mac OS as far as I can tell. I'm just curious if anyone's figured out a way around it. I mean, if it was just an application I'd modify the resource for that app, but I have no idea where to look if I want to modify the icon for a directory.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
Labels X was the culprit, uninstalled and all is fine.

Thank You, alexbratu!
No, I have same problem and never installed LabelsX...

Lord Sith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by cgc:
No, I have same problem and never installed LabelsX...
Yes, after I un-installed Labels X all I had to do was re-drag icons into sidebar and they remained custom icons.

Just to be sure..........

I re-installed Labels X and had the exact same problem. Un-installing fixed problem once again.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 07:12 PM

Well, why then do I have the same problem and NEVER installed LabelsX? Something else is the real culprit.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 09:21 PM

What cgc is saying is also what I am saying. LabelsX may be one cause of this issue, but obviously there is another cause as well that is not as common. Does anyone know why it happens? Just try dragging your Applications folder to the sidebar (without any hacks or haxies running/installed) and let me know what happens or what happens after a reboot. I just did a clean re-install of my whole system last week and I still have the problem.

alexbratu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 10:43 PM

there may be, but when i was having the problem, it was because of labelsx. there is a new version of labelsx that corrects this bug because it used to be incompatible with panther, which may be why some people that have labelsx installed don't have this problem. as for other people who never had a haxie installed. there is also an osx issue that causes this. search macoshints dot c0m and you'll find the other solution right away.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 10:15 PM

I've gotten the same problem... WITH THE PANTHER VERSION OF LABLES X

I disabled LablesX (from the APE manager not the LablesX prefs) and relaunched Finder, the icons were still missing until I got info on each of the folders in my sidebar. I then re-enabled LablesX and got info on one of the folders and the icon reverted to a default folder. I tried with and without the icon coloring also and still had the problem. But it is LablesX causing it. Has anyone informed Unsanity yet?
click one

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 11:57 PM

We are aware but it REALLY seems to be a panther bug. It happens without lx installed, especially if your home folder is on another partition/drive. LX just seems to make it happen nearly 100% of the time and I've got no idea why...

slava
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
We are aware but it REALLY seems to be a panther bug. It happens without lx installed, especially if your home folder is on another partition/drive. LX just seems to make it happen nearly 100% of the time and I've got no idea why...
What Rosyna forgot to mention is that we are trying to find a solution to fix the problem.
// slava@unsanity

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by slava:
What Rosyna forgot to mention is that we are trying to find a solution to fix the problem.
Good enough for me. You guys rock.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules