Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Browsers and Powerbooks

Browsers and Powerbooks
pembleton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 05:13 PM

Hey There,

I am sure there is a simple answer to this question but...

I am a long time PC user and just bought a 15" Powerbook. I am wondering if there is a way to make IE or Safari fit the widescreen? Everytime it starts there is "letterboxing" on both sides of browser and I would like it to fit the whole screen.

Thanks
frank pembleton

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 05:39 PM

Gah! Do a search! Worst. Windows. Feature. Ever.

No. In Safari, the Zoom button merely switches between the user defined size and the size of the content in the window. Anything else is a waste of screen space. If you manually change the size to what you want, it should stay that way.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 05:57 PM

You really will get used to not maximizing your windows. I did when I got my mac and all the new Mac users I've seen have too.

I use the space for IM clients such as iChat and MSN.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 11:37 PM

As many have pointed out, you might want to consider a more 'virtual desktop' spatial organization of your screen - ie, not having to compulsively maximize every window that happens to be in front at the moment. Its a common trait among windows users, and after a while, a lot of people grow to treat their computer desktop like a real desk - documents in piles, and you can select them instinctively because you know where you left each document on your desktop. Failing that, expose helps a lot

But to more directly answer your original question, Safari remembers your window size and position. What you do is when you open a new browser window, size and position it to your liking, and new windows opened after that will have the same settings.
mavafyipdq

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2004, 01:55 AM

Check macosxhints for bookmarklets. Nice easy to use applets that let you configure the size of your browser (in Safari) with a click of the menu bar. I have a PB 17 (used it before with my iBook as well) and I have a full screen bookmaklet as well as a left- and right-sided version that I feel is pretty useable for most surfing needs.
All you have to do is drag into your menu bar, then drag off if you want to delete.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hxuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 11:28 AM

I am new to mac too, and I was wondering this question 1 month ago, but now, I actually hate the zoom button on ie & firefox, because I think "letterbox" is much nicer.

And in sun systems, which used in my uni, I used to hate the solaris os, but now, I feel I like solaris more than I like windows, of course panther (mac os x 10.3.5) is the best

Forum Links
Forum Rules