Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX presentation at September 14th! In Germany!

OSX presentation at September 14th! In Germany!
ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2001, 10:03 AM

I received a letter from an Apple reseller here in Germany (Saarbr�cken). They have an "Open House Day" on September 14th. In their invitation they proudly announce OSX 10.1 presentation. Are they allowed to show 10.1 before Steve finally announced it, or do they have some more information than we have?
Here is their Homepage: (unfortunately without any word about the "Open House Day") www.intranet-systemhaus.com

What do you think?

v0id7
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2001, 07:24 PM

I thought they were gonna show it on the 7th 1st
_______void_______

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2001, 07:44 PM

Macosrumors speculates that OS 10.1 will be released on September 13... I'm hoping this is the case! Thinking about it... the 7th would allow Steve to demo it and get people excited, pre-orders, that sorta thing. And then taking the lead that a reseller will have an open house on 10.1 on the 14th, it seems reasonable that it will be released before then so.....

ablaze  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2001, 11:52 AM

I have been to the Open House Day today and they showed OSX 10.1 (5G48) on all Macs. Are they allowed to do so (i.e. not officially released)?
btw. 5G48 was somewhat sluggish on an iBook2 + 128MB RAM! Is it any better in more recent builds that some of us claim to have installed on their machines?

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2001, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by ablaze:
<STRONG>
btw. 5G48 was somewhat sluggish on an iBook2 + 128MB RAM! Is it any better in more recent builds that some of us claim to have installed on their machines?</STRONG>
I'm not so worried about it being slow on a 128Mb machine - anyone who spent good money on Mac OS X and yet still 128Mb with today's RAM prices is just daft - but I would be keen to know what sort of performance boost we can expect on G3 Macs...

Mr H

conny
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2001, 04:39 PM

They are going to show 10.1 in San Rafael on Saturday (15:th) when the first ComputerWare store is reopend by Elite. I think they open at 11am and will have sweepstakes to win stuff like a new computer. Read the news on maccentral a couple of days ago.
I went to the store and they had a sign on the door where it said that they were going to show 10.1. Everybody in the Bay Area which haven't seen 10.1 and wants to should come on saturday. It's also nice thet they reopen this great store. See you there!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2001, 10:34 PM

5G48 was somewhat sluggish on an iBook2 + 128MB RAM
Well I have 5g48 on my iceBook with 256ram and it's faster than 10.0.4 on my g4 450. So I would say it is not at all sluggish I guess if you have at least 256 ram. iTunes frame rate was twice as fast as on my g4, thats not sluggish.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

jadolfsson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2001, 11:17 PM

builds seeded after 48 are speedier, it's widely known.

ablaze  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2001, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>

Well I have 5g48 on my iceBook with 256ram and it's faster than 10.0.4 on my g4 450. So I would say it is not at all sluggish I guess if you have at least 256 ram. iTunes frame rate was twice as fast as on my g4, thats not sluggish.</STRONG>
It was faster than 10.0.4, but I was somewhat disappointed, because I thought there would be a huge speed up on all configurations, but on that iBook2 + 128(!) MB RAM it was not! So you really think it may depend on RAM? btw, I have 192 MB RAM on my iBook2. Will this be enough or is the speed spot still 256 MB?

Forum Links
Forum Rules