Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sharing preference pane missing

Sharing preference pane missing
emil
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 12:28 AM

I installed Apple Remote Desktop recently, and recently decided I didn't need it, and went to uninstall. Realizing that it probably runs services, I figured I'd better do a search to see how to uninstall it. I went to this page and did those three terminal commands before reading the bit beneath them about how it's probably not a good idea to uninstall it. Any way, I am not sure if it is related or not, but now I dont' seem to have a system preferences pane. Anyone have any idea why this is, or better yet, how I can fix it?

emil  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 12:33 AM

I did a search for 'sharing' in the Mac help file, and when I found the bit on "Open this preference panel for me", it says "The item cannot be opened. It may be disabled or not installed."

torifile
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 12:50 AM

Do you have the Sharing.prefPane in your /System/PreferencePanes folder? If not, you may be able to get some kind soul to send you one. If you do, you may still have some luck using one that is from a working system. I'll drop it in my public iDisk folder. Maybe that'll fix it.

My iDisk is torifile.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 01:01 AM

I have the same problem. It tells me it can't be loaded
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

emil  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 01:08 AM

So, thank goodness I have a second mac without this problem. You were right, all I had to do was copy the prefpane from /System/Library/PreferencePanes over .. there was some weird Sharing.temp folder there, or something like that -- now that I recall, I think I got an error while trying to install the Remote Desktop software the first time. Maybe that caused it. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules