Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making a Dialup-Server

Making a Dialup-Server
Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2000, 03:39 PM

Hi. I stumbled across the fact that "Remote-Access" isn't simply a replacement for the old PPP control panel, but allows "Remote-Access." (okay, it seems obvious; I only hadn't thought about it). Anyway, using Remote-Access and *what* software (or settings) would allow my cable-connected iMac to serve as an *internet* dialup server to my PowerBook while on the road? Thanks!

Jim

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2000, 08:17 AM

investigate webserving in MacOS Help, Macs have Web Sharing built-in...

uh... whoa, i musta not had my coffee yet... i should try reading for comprehension

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 03-31-2000).]

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2000, 05:59 PM

Remote Access is only a remote access client for ARA or PPP. You must purchase ARA Personal Server or in order to act as an remote access server. I believe there are other tools for this purpose. Can someone name anymore?

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Balthisar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2000, 12:56 AM

I realize that remote-access isn't a full fledged server, but it *does* allow dial-in access to a computer and its network connections., i.e., any AppleTalk services. I've exhausted the Mac Help, and the dial-in access is great as is... but still, it would be nice to know some software that would serve or relay web connections, since the cable modem is on the same network as the printer, iMac, and old 6400.

Actually, this dialup access to the existing network is a *great* feature, and even if I can't figure out how to serve web pages, I strongly suggest any mobile users may want to check out remote-access a little bit closer!

Anyway, thanks!

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules