Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple return policy

Apple return policy
jlbanker
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 02:21 AM

based on the fact that I have a stuck key and a dead pixel do you think Apple will replace my ibook?

geri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 02:23 AM

probably. why not ask them?

1-800-MY-APPLE.

KingDog
May 23, 2001, 02:30 AM

christ. ive heard enough of this whining. Ask apple to replace the keyboard, and dont EVER expect a perfect LCD screen, stuck or dead pixels are part of the game. Why replace a 1500 dollar computer for a 20 dollar part. Honestly...Look at it from a different point of view. I own a TiBook, and have owned 11 macs in the last 3 years and i have never expected apple to replace the whole thing because of some small piddly problem. Grow up and deal with it.

KingDog

jagga
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by jlbanker:
based on the fact that I have a stuck key and a dead pixel do you think Apple will replace my ibook?
man, that sucks. I couldn't imagine paying like $1500 dollars for a brand new shiny laptop and then find out its not perfect. I wouldn't mind one dead pixel; but keyboard story doesnt' sound too good. They should replace it just because of that.

Hope you get it resolved soon.
Good Luck.

------------------
Jagga
Check out some screenshots here
My Server

JEB
May 23, 2001, 04:21 AM

Apple will hopefully do what is best in the interest of customer loyalty--the best of luck. Their whole new pitch to 'gain market share' should mean that they will follow through for you; you have spent a lot of money, and should have the right to ask "hey, could your company help me out here?"
Just ask; money doesn't grow on trees (especially for those of us who HAVEN'T bought 11 macs in the past 3 years -- jeez, man, give the guy a break, he's only asking a question, looking for advice. Some sympathy, please, for all of us down here amongst the masses. . . 'peace on Earth' . . . please . . . thank you for advice, and counting to 10 before igniting your flamethrower, dude).
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 04:27 AM

Face the facts, Apple is not going to replace your iBook, period. They allow a certain amount of dead pixels per LCD, and they will repair your stuck key. You probably will have to send it to Apple. End of discussion

------------------

jlbanker  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 12:47 PM

Bugs this is a legal issue. The fact is I didn't know about the dead pixel issue until after the fact. If this is so common they should have a disclaimer when buying it. The fact that they don't sounds shady to me because they know people will inspect the screen. If I spend X number of dollars I don't want a darn lemon to deal with. IMHO all the ibooks are lemons since they all have the audio problems. Imagine if you are DJing a social event and then that darn high pitched sound comes out of your computer... that ain't cool. Sounds like these machines are substandard. And about the pixel issue again... it really sucks watching a movie with this bright white pixel stairing at me saying "YOU BOUGHT A LEMON AND YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT". That ain't cool. I don't have to live with it and if Apple has a problem with that then well I guess I bought my last mac.

JLB

jlbanker  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 12:49 PM

FYI. I called Apple and the tech guy said I should take it back to the store I got it ASAP. He felt bad that I had a lemon. So now it is back in the hands of the local retailer.

ciaconne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 01:08 PM

FYI. I called Apple and the tech guy said I should take it back to the store I got it ASAP. He felt bad that I had a lemon. So now it is back in the hands of the local retailer.
Hello:

Did they say that they'll replace the unit or repair it? Also was it me who didn't look hard enough or did Apple Store have changed their return policy from "all sales final" to "If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 10 business days of the receipt of the product"? I didn't remember they had offered any options for returns at all unless the unit was dead on arrival. Like yourself, I got a less than perfect ibook, and nobody at the number knew about this policy. Instead they referred me to the tech department as a standard fare, and they very nicely offered to repair my computer, but not replacing it. I don't feel comfortable to get a "refurb" for the price of a new unit. I think a replacement is appropiate especially for flaws due to substandard quality control (we are not talking about dead pixels here). I hope the situation works out to your satisfaction, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

[This message has been edited by ciaconne (edited 05-23-2001).]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 01:11 PM

I guess you got lucky, Apple has as no return policy unless it's DOA. And most retailers also have a no return policy on Apple products. And I agree about the dead pixel issue. I'm glad you got it resolved.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I bought a G4 a few months ago and the power button was dead out of the box. The only way I could turn it on was with one of the older keyboards that had a power button on it. I had nothing but trouble when I called Apple. I ended up taking it in for repair which cost me money in gas (I had to drive 50 miles just to get to the place), and had to take time off of work (lost wages). So, not only did I pay for a new G4 that didn't work, I had to pay extra in gas and lost wages. Yet I ordered one of the new ibooks. Are we all a bunch of suckers? Or do we all hate PCs that much? I think it's a little of both.

ciaconne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 01:44 PM

Yet I ordered one of the new ibooks. Are we all a bunch of suckers? Or do we all hate PCs that much? I think it's a little of both.
With the kind of brand loyalty, I really wish Apple would put out products with better quality, or at least give us better protection than offering "instant refurbs". I love the brilliant designs at Apple, both in hardware and software, but it's a shame to see it ruined by poor build quality and support. If only Apple would have the customer support and return policies like, say, Dell computer (uhoh).. but for now, there are trade-offs, and I'm not going to trade for a wintel box! not yet.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 02:02 PM

I bought a Gateway PC about 2 years ago right before I switched over to Apple and their service was incredible. With even the slightest problem I could call up tech support and they walked me through everything I needed to know for free. I agree that Apple should take better care of it's customers. That would seal the deal for a lot of PC people I know. When I bring up Apple they're always quick to fire off about support. Can you blame them?

jlbanker  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 02:18 PM

Update for those following the thread. The retailer said Apple will not credit the store so I am stuck calling Apple. They said ... if you buy a shirt at the store with a defect do you return it to the manufacturer or the store? She said you return it to the store... well I told her from my experience with retail the retailer can return it to the manufacturer but the retailer told me the manufacturer Apple, you, won't take it back and they told me I would have to pay for a replacement screen. Well a friend of mine told me to call back to Apple Care and I am on the phone on hold with them and they know I kept calling so they may be finding a way to best help me... next update coming soon.

ALSO: the tech didn't know about the sound issues that I have as well with the new ibook.

[This message has been edited by jlbanker (edited 05-23-2001).]

Voch
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 02:30 PM

ALSO: the tech didn't know about the sound issues that I have as well with the new ibook.
This problem is REALLY bugging people, isn't it? My iBook does it about once a day but I mostly use sound for games and DVD movies so it's not a big deal. I hope Apple has a software fix for it soon...I can see the sound problem getting on folks' nerves but I still don't think it's a huge enough reason to avoid the new iBook altogether.

All I know is that sound problem occurs less often than my Acer desktop at works gets the Blue Screen Of Death. I'll take the iBook over a PC any day even with the sound glitch.

Voch

[This message has been edited by Voch (edited 05-23-2001).]

jlbanker  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:21 PM

Well I am going to join the rest of you and face the facts. The tech guy was very nice... wanted me to call back and test the sound issue but you know there is so many people with the problem I am going to just wait for the software fix... of course me calling would help but I wasted enough time and besides I like working in 10 that doesn't have the issue... I have a 10 power hand microscope and my pixel isn't dead it is stuck on Green which gives me hope. I tested it with the LCD tester and all the pixels work. It just gets stuck on green. hehe... so technicly it is a third of a pixel that doesn't work on my computer... I with it was stuck off instead of on . Anyway thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. I will stand down from my soup box now.

hayesk
May 23, 2001, 04:59 PM

Bugs this is a legal issue. The fact is I didn't know about the dead pixel issue until after the fact. If this is so common they should have a disclaimer when buying it. The fact that they don't sounds shady to me because they know people will inspect the screen. If I spend X number of dollars I don't want a darn lemon to deal with. IMHO all the ibooks are lemons since they all have the audio problems. Imagine if you are DJing a social event and then that darn high pitched sound comes out of your computer... that ain't cool. Sounds like these machines are substandard. And about the pixel issue again... it really sucks watching a movie with this bright white pixel stairing at me saying "YOU BOUGHT A LEMON AND YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT". That ain't cool. I don't have to live with it and if Apple has a problem with that then well I guess I bought my last mac.

JLB
Pretty much every company that sells LCD screens have this policy, not just Apple. As for the keyboard, yeah, they should replace the keyboard.

If they didn't, you'd be paying $3000 for your iBook. About 2 years ago I asked a Sony salesman about LCD production. He told me only about 3 - 5 % of LCD screens made are sellable (that includes those with a few dead pixels) Imagine how much LCD costs would be if each one had to be perfect.

Have you tried "massaging" the dead pixel to see if it comes back to life? Rub it with a lint free cloth and see if it works. It worked for me and I haven't had a problem since.

I know it sucks, but that's the way it is. Until manufacturing technology improves and people stop demanding lower and lower prices, you'll just have to live with it.

jlbanker  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 05:43 PM

Hayesk thanks for your msg. Yes I have rubbed the pixel and it was funny because the Mac Tech guy mentioned that too but he said I am not recomending it nor does apple but this works for me. I have had stuck pixels on my old ibook and got them out that way. For you how long did you have to play with it? I have done it a lot and it still doesn't work.

Stebahan
May 23, 2001, 06:20 PM

Hayesk thanks for your msg. Yes I have rubbed the pixel and it was funny because the Mac Tech guy mentioned that too but he said I am not recomending it nor does apple but this works for me. I have had stuck pixels on my old ibook and got them out that way. For you how long did you have to play with it? I have done it a lot and it still doesn't work.
Until you need glasses.

Sorry. I had to.

eTard
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 07:00 PM

some people may find it lame to #$tch about such 'small' things, but if it was mine and I had quality control issues right out of the box, I would replace it no quesitons asked (even more so if they made it easy and offered). If it was weeks later, I would likly let it slide. It is not cool to pay this amount of money, crack open your box, and have problems.

------------------
eTard.....don't be one
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 07:20 PM

some people may find it lame to #$tch about such 'small' things, but if it was mine and I had quality control issues right out of the box, I would replace it no quesitons asked (even more so if they made it easy and offered). If it was weeks later, I would likly let it slide. It is not cool to pay this amount of money, crack open your box, and have problems.
Yea, how would you feel if you bought a Ti for $3500, and had problems?? Having to send a brand new $3500 PowerBook back to Apple because they only fix, Not Replace People are having problems with a $3500 PowerBook, what makes you think a $1200 iBook is gonna be any different? I have to say though, owning a Lombard, 2 Pismos, and now a Ti, all have been trouble free

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 09:24 PM

Well I have had my iBook2 DVD for a few days and its working like a charm.... I still havent heard the sound problem yet........ I do hear popping sounds while eatching a DVD but I havent turned platinum sounds off.. I really dont bother much with OS 9 OS X is so perfect with this little machine that I only reboot to watch movies and thats like every week or so..... I think I have a perfect LCD I still havent found any malfunctioning pixel everything seems to work fine..... except that the right part of the screen when is closed looks like it doesnt clos right and the HUMONGOUS Button for the trackpad looks bent to the right.... Maybe its supposed to be that way.....

Apple should be able to send you a new keyboard right over the mail they did it with me on my old iBook SE, the escape key was dead so I called and they sent a new keyboard 2 days later all I had to do was return the old one and that was it.........

I am so glad all my experiences with Apple have been more than awesome, this is my 5th Mac and I LOve this machine.....

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

x user
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 12:45 PM

I had a friend with a 15" studio display. Same stuck-on-green pixal. Nothing worked, not the masaging, noting. But she's really happy anyways. She had only used PC's previously, when her brother bought my iMac, she was so impressed, she had to have a Mac. And not exactly hurting for money, she bought a G4 Cube witha 15" studio display and a TiBook. She love both machines. Believe it or not, she uses the Cube for work at home, and the Ti For DVD's and Virtual Gamestation on Planes, (She travels alot for work). The only problem she had was with the Pixal on the 15". The Ti was flawless. I have to say that though LCD's are still faulty, I like them a whole lot better.
---------------
Proud owner (and seller) of an iBook 366 Indigo.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 12:59 PM

Uh, xuser, I think your sig might just be a tad large... I mean I didn't check the exact dimensions or anything, just a hunch.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

Bono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 01:03 AM

You can return anything. I have bought many things (including many computers) and they say you can't return it unless this or that... but i did it everytime.

If you call up and they say "no"... all you have to say is "yes".. "make it so".... and they will so you will buy from them again.

So if you have a dead pixel and you don't let it... send it back. Don't listen to this people that say "live with it".... if you dont' care... good for you... but me and others let me expect perfection and you can get it...

Talk hard.
I love cheese

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2001, 02:42 AM

So if you have a dead pixel and you don't let it... send it back. Don't listen to this people that say "live with it".... if you dont' care... good for you... but me and others let me expect perfection and you can get it.
I'd like to see you return an iBook with 1 dead pixel, or even 2 or 3. It ain't gonna happen chump. Talk as hard as you want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules