Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook windup power cord

ibook windup power cord
trunks_essex
Jan 3, 2001, 04:06 AM

I'm gettin' me an ibook and wuz wondering what did apple mean when they said the ibook had a "wind-up" powercord"?

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2001, 07:36 AM

hehe.
The apple power cord is really cool. It winds up into a little circular shaped apple power supply - trust me youll love it. I got a surprise when i first saw it, its way better than your standard laptop ac power supply which is just a black box with a loose cord.\

This thing is pretty cool.....
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2001, 02:37 PM

Well... it could be cooler

Actually,when I first heard that it was a wind up cord, I assumed that it automatically wound up... just tug on the end of the cord, and it rolled up back into the case.

Then I actually saw one... big disappointment. In addition, you still have the power cable that connects into the adapter via a mickey mouse shaped connector. Very weird.

If was in charge of things (which I'm not, but let's pretend...) I would've combined the two into a single device. Combined with the auto-wind feature, that would make a very slick power adapter... and give me one less thing to have to put away when I pack up my iBook

------------------
dennis
dennis

jlbanker
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2001, 03:13 PM

when you get it becareful. I thought it was more sturdy then it was and accually dropped it a couple of times by mistake with one end of the cord in hand still. It unraveled and frayed the cord on the inside plus the way I used it at work it was connected at an awkward angle and ended up with a nasty sparking short.

trunks_essex
Jan 3, 2001, 03:33 PM

thanx for the info dudes

mcapehart
Jan 3, 2001, 05:46 PM

Speak the truth, jlbanker.

I bought my Original Blueberry in October 99. Since then I have gone through 2 wind up adapters and 1 power cord. The cord actually shorted and melted a hole through. When trying to replace it, Apple first sent me another wind-up. It's a pain, but a nice design. I wish it wasn't so flimsy though.

------------------
-------------------------
The Man, the Myth, the something or other.
-------------------------
The Man, the Myth, the something or other.

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2001, 10:26 PM

You can also use the plain ol' PowerBook adapter. VST sells 'em.
http://www.vsttech.com/vst/products....4?OpenDocument

-jlb

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2001, 07:46 PM

Better yet, get the Madsonline adapter:
http://www.madsonline.com

It's much smaller and works great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules