Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy airport now or later?

Buy airport now or later?
Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 06:12 PM

While I'm waiting for my iBook to arrive, I decided I'm probably going to purchase an Airport card and a Base station. The only problem is, I've heard rumors of an even better one coming out at the next MW, with a much larger distance and much faster speeds... what should I do? Airport isn't a *must*, but it would be nice...

Thanks

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 06:25 PM

To wait or not really depends on your needs. Present range is up to 150 ft., I believe. If that suits your distance needs then no problem. Present speed is 11 Mbps. If you plan on sharing a lot of big files locally (between systems on the airport network), then you might benefit from greater speeds. But, if you are just planning on sharing a home Internet connection -- even a relatively fast 3 Mbps maximum cable connection -- your speed bottleneck won't be airport but will be your internet connection. My DSL connection hits about 700 Mbps consistently. I have a whole lot of head room in 11 Mbps on airport, even with several systems sharing the connection.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 06:27 PM

Pardon me, that is 700 Kbps for my DSL connection, not 700 Mbps. Just to clear that up for anyone thinking I had some sort of direct connection to an internet backbone for $50 a month!

Stebahan
May 31, 2001, 06:29 PM

I have a 3 floor townhouse, about 40 feet of brick, garden and deck in the back. A front yard that really is nothing more than steps, 15 feet of yard and a sidewalk. My wife can go anywhere on our property and get about 7/8ths signal strength. I am pretty sure that even if you have cable or DSL line the Airport Base station can broadcast within the parameters without a speed hit and, sometimes it seems her modem connection is faster than my desktops connection. So, to answer your question, if you can afford it go for it. As for the rumors, if they prove to be true, the only ones that will really see a benefit will be those who have a great deal of property, I'm talking acres here, and those in institutions such as schools, businesses etc. Since the increased strength will provide greater signal strength through the dense walls, wiring, ducts, steel studs etc., of commercial buildings.

Wow, a moment of lucidity while I wait for my iBook.

jlbanker
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 07:03 PM

I say go for it because personally I love the thing but the rumor is there is a better one coming out but would you really need a better range then 150 ft?

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 09:47 PM

--------------------
I say go for it because personally I love the thing but the rumor is there is a better one coming out but would you really need a better range then 150 ft?
-------------------

I thought about that too and was going to get by with the software base station until July. But then I started thinking; the two rumors are either 802.11a with 5 times the bandwidth but shorter range, or 802.11g with twice the bandwidth and about the same range. My DSL can't saturate my connection now, and I can walk over to all the neighbors and surf the web already with the 150 ft range.

So I just bought the hardware Base Station so I don't have to run OS 9 on the desktop anymore (no Software Base Station for OS X)

The new protocols will be great for schools and businesses, but I don't really think there's a pressing need for most people at home.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 10:59 PM

Airport, cable modem. 75 feet from Base Station

Forum Links
Forum Rules