Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carrying your laptop and PERIPHERALS?

Carrying your laptop and PERIPHERALS?
amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 08:52 PM

So I was intent on getting a Timbuk2 bag with sleeve... but then I thought, where am I going to put an external hd, cdrw, and audio box? I know I don't really need the cdrw, but I really do need the hd and audio. Is there enough room for this stuff? I'd really prefer an all in one solution for both laptop and components.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2001, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by amphibious:
<STRONG>So I was intent on getting a Timbuk2 bag with sleeve... but then I thought, where am I going to put an external hd, cdrw, and audio box? I know I don't really need the cdrw, but I really do need the hd and audio. Is there enough room for this stuff? I'd really prefer an all in one solution for both laptop and components.</STRONG>
I use an cheap aluminum case available at Home Depot to travel.... large enough for external devices & durable enough to protect it. For business meetings, I just put it in my breifcase with other associated papers, etc.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: romeosc ]

Cipher13
Jul 10, 2001, 06:20 AM

I think getting so many peripherals defies the purpose of paying a premium for a laptop in the first place...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>I think getting so many peripherals defies the purpose of paying a premium for a laptop in the first place...</STRONG>
I disagree! I use the case to transport the PB & accessories, safetly from city to city. I then use the small briefcase to carry to presentations, etc. I leave the other items in hotel for later use at night.

Steve

amphibious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>I think getting so many peripherals defies the purpose of paying a premium for a laptop in the first place...</STRONG>
Well it's either bring a laptop, an external HD, audio box, and mouse or a four foot tall 19" rack full of synths and signal processors. Which would you rather work with?

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 04:34 PM

I got a cheap 40 dollar bag that's wide enough for the Ti G4 and has enough room for ONE carry on. I usually bring my bus powered FireWire Zip 250.

PeteWK

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by amphibious:
<STRONG>So I was intent on getting a Timbuk2 bag with sleeve... but then I thought, where am I going to put an external hd, cdrw, and audio box? I know I don't really need the cdrw, but I really do need the hd and audio. Is there enough room for this stuff? I'd really prefer an all in one solution for both laptop and components.</STRONG>
The Timbuk2 Guapo bag is pretty big....18"x14"x7.5"

amphibious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by jules:
<STRONG>

The Timbuk2 Guapo bag is pretty big....18"x14"x7.5"</STRONG>
Yeah, I know the dimensions... but nowhere on the site does it say what the outside dimensions of the sleeve are. I can make a rough estimate but I really need to know for sure.

Rheudabaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 09:19 PM

If you're carrying alot of crap (I always do), you must get a backpack. Using a shoulderbag just kills. I recommend the Spire Metapack. It's huge, has an integral sleave (that is suspended which prevents it contacting the bottom of the pack) and a proper hip belt to transfer the weight off your shoulders. Looks good too.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 09:57 PM

I own a Sweat Pea and a Mogwai (and both a Waterfield and TB2 Sleeve). If you get the Sweat Pea, then you must get a sleeve no bigger than the Waterfield. The TB2 sleeve (while better padded) will leave you no room for anything else in the Sweat Pea bag. On the other hand, w/ the Waterfield Sleeve you will have enough room for the power adapted and other misc. items. If you go with the Mogwai, you will have ample room for "any" sleeve you want, plus a few other items (files, external drives, etc.). I am not sure what audio equipment you are referrring to, however feel free to contact me with the specifics. I have never tried it, but I think I could fit my old advent wedges in the Mogwai (along w/ my Ti) without a problem. Actually, I happen to really like these bags. The only downside that I see is that there are no "custom pockets" that specifically fit the misc. paraphanellia (sp?) that I carry around (but no other bag on the market does that either). If you go with anything bigger than the Mogwai I can't imagine that you wouldn't have more than enough room. BTW, if you go to the TB2 site they will tell you where to find retail stores in your area that carry their bags. There are a bunch in NYC. Take all your stuff there, find the bag that works for you, then build it online. Good luck.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 05:12 PM

Bet the STM LapBack (I know, I know, I keep plugging this, but I love it) would have the room for all your periphs. I have my Ti, poweradapter, floppy drive, zip 250, and soon to be my portable firewire hard drive, with tons of room to spare. http://www.laptoptravel.com or see the MacNN review of it.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

z0mbi3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 11:05 PM

Avenir: you're right !!
The STM LapBack is THE BEST !
I have one, and I have a Waterfields Sleeve as well...nothing's too small to protect my TiBook
z0mbi3@TiBook 400 (w/384 MB RAM)

"One good thing about music, when it hits you you feel no pain" - Brad Nowell (Sublime) (Bob Marley's Cover - Trenchtown Rock)

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by z0mbi3:
<STRONG>Avenir: you're right !!
The STM LapBack is THE BEST !
I have one, and I have a Waterfields Sleeve as well...nothing's too small to protect my TiBook </STRONG>
Yes! Another happy STM user! Woohoo! See MacNN readers! I'm not nuts, this is the best computer backpack on the face of the earth. Anyway... back on topic...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

ikarus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 12:50 AM

more props for the STM, I've taken my bag all over the place and it doesn't look a day older than when I got it, that ripstop nylon **** is TOUGH. addressing the peripherals bit, as a backpack it's obviously got room=) the outside pockets are really quite large and I regularly put the yoyo, a promouse, an extra battery, some dvds/cds in the largest outside pocket, altoids conveinantly in the small pocket, the uh main pocket holds a pismo and a pretty large binder, and several magazines, plenty of room =)

might sound heavy, but the back conforming foam stuff consumes the back, conforming to your every deformity like an aeron wraps around ass. after getting the STM the only thing I can't understand is why so many MacNN people just seem to "overlook" the STM and get mostly hideous things that look like something a grandfather would rock :o

amphibious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by ikarus:
<STRONG>conforming to your every deformity like an aeron wraps around ass. </STRONG>
this is a sweet reference... poetic even.

Forum Links
Forum Rules