Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > ***Poll: What browser do you use?

***Poll: What browser do you use?
graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2001, 08:25 AM

What browser and version do you use as your main web browser?

I use iCab Preview 2.5.2.
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by graphiteman:
<STRONG>What browser and version do you use as your main web browser?

I use iCab Preview 2.5.2.</STRONG>
IE 5.0 (2022) on OS9.1
IE 5.0 and 5.5 on WinNT (at work)
IE 5.5 on Win2k (for the rare times I use my PeeCee at home to do something other than be a ASP/SQL server box.
Tried NCommunicator on Red Hat 7.1 - sux. Not worth it.

The other browsers seem to have a problem with their implementation of ECMAscript & DOM, therefore, I can't be bothered. But then again, i'm programming for a good amount of time so I tend to stay away from software that doesn't implement the given set of standards for its' programmability.

Funny thing is why does netscape's browsers not implement 100% -ECMAscript but M$ 5.0 does? Didn't Netscape invent javascript (livescript) which is a superset of ECMAScript? makes you wonder who's worse - AOL or M$. Guess i'm just picking the lesser of evils.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2001, 02:45 PM

Right now, I use IE 95% of the time. Every so often, I drop into OmniWeb, but once 10.1 is released in September, I'll use IE 5.1 exclusively.

The demo they gave me showed it running extremely fast and handling complex Java, Flash, DHTML, and JavaScript with ease. The CSS implementation is already superior to OmniWeb's, and I can't justify $30 for a browser that is indeed beautiful but less compatible.

Sorry, Omni, I love your other stuff, but IE 5.1 is my browser of choice.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2001, 03:52 PM

Since I'm sticking to OS9 for the time being, my #1 browser these days is Opera. It's still mighty crashy, but damn is it fast.
Then I'll switch around between iCab, Netscape 4, Mozilla and rarely IE 5.
I used to use iCab 2.4 90% of the time, then when 2.5 came out it broke a LOT of things.
I find IE to feel sludgy and unresponsive.

Reg
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 04:03 PM

I use primarily IE5.0, but I dabble with NN6 and Opera from time to time.

NN4.x makes the baby jesus cry. Same goes for IE4.5, OmniWeb, and all other non-compliant browsers.

Dump this snippet of code in your index if you want to non-compliant veiwers to the WaSP browser upgrade page:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> &lt;script type=<font color = red>"text/javascript"</font> language=<font color = red>"javascript"</font>&gt;
&lt;!-- <font color = brown>//</font>

<font color = green>if</font> (!document.getElementById) {
window.location =
<font color = red>"http:<font color = brown>//www.webstandards.org/upgrade/"</font></font>
}

--&gt;
&lt;/script&gt; </font>[/code]
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2001, 08:48 AM

I use Mozilla about 80% of the time in Mac OS 9
other 20% split with Netscape, IE and iCab

In Mac OS X I use about 50% Opera 50% IE until Mozilla is fully developed for X.

I think Mozilla should replace Netscape 6 in that webstandards page. Mozilla is Netscape 6 without the bugs. It doesn't have the "garbage" that Netscape 6 adds, making it fast and stable.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
[QBDump this snippet of code in your index if you want to non-compliant veiwers to the WaSP browser upgrade page:[/QB]
I'll never do that to anyone, because as an end-user, nothing pisses me off more than seeing pages give me that! And doing that in the index is just nasty.
My next peeve is people who are obviously only Windows users using TINY friggin fonts. What, all of a sudden everybody got near-sighted? Maybe it's from watching those blue screens...

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't do it cross-platform, don't do it (unless your client specifically requests the platform). It's bad enough seeing many pages whose tables are fubar because the person making them only uses IE5 to preview and didn't close the tags right.

Reg

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2001, 04:05 PM

IE5 in OS 9, IE5.1 in OS X (but only because it's right there in the dock, I barely use OS X at all) . However, if you're a web developer (as the forum name suggests) you should make sure to test out on all browsers, including Netscape 4.x and 6.x, and crazy little iCab / Opera... now if only iCab would start working better with stylesheets...

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2001, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
<STRONG>...now if only iCab would start working better with stylesheets...</STRONG>
I'm guessing that's on the top of their to-do list for preview 2.6
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2001, 08:02 AM

Dump this snippet of code in your index if you want to non-compliant veiwers to the WaSP browser upgrade page:
Ack! Dude, I'm as much of a stnadards zealot as you are, but that's not the way to go about things. Even the WaSP ended up agreeing to that. Far better to use their "kinder, gentler" method of bringing up a paragraph in noncompliant browsers, then linking that to WaSP's upgrade page. Although personally, I prefer to link it to one of my own pages, where I explain the situation and why I do what I do, and then link that to the WaSP's upgrade pages. The DOM Sniff method is just too heavy-handed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 10:44 AM

IE 5 100% of the time.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jul 23, 2001, 04:57 PM

OmniWeb 4.0 because its not a Micro$oft product and because it is written in Cocoa (Objective C) OS X Native.
I only use IE if I can't do it in OmniWeb.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2001, 10:43 AM

I recently stopped using OmniWeb for general browsing. A shame, too; I so want to use it (it can't be beat in terms of integration), but its standards support is so far beyond bad that it's basically unusable for any of the stuff I do. I keep it around just to see if my stuff works on it, but I don't attempt to support it. Of the five major OSX browsers, it's the best OSX program but the worst browser of the five. Call me back when it has CSS1 support at least equalling NS4's (and I am fully aware of how bad NS4's CSS1 support is).

My new favorite is Mozilla. Fizzilla's usable now, though I do wish I knew why they stopped doing daily builds.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

cmcleod design
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2001, 03:04 AM

IE 5.0 for mac all the time.. unless i am @ uni and then I use Netscape 4.7ish

mr.strange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>My new favorite is Mozilla. Fizzilla's usable now, though I do wish I knew why they stopped doing daily builds.</STRONG>
They are doing nightly builds of the 0.9.2 branch of Mozilla (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest-0.9.2) but unfortunately there hasn't been a trunk build of Mozilla for OS X in a while. I bet you'll see more current builds after 0.9.3 is released shortly.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2001, 04:11 PM

I can't wait for 0.9.3!

poocat
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2001, 07:00 PM

i'm in 9.1 exclusively, and i use:

icab (about 98% of the time... use it more & more each release)
ie5 (for pages that don't look right in icab... mostly www.espn.com )

i can't wait until icab works for everything... that's all i ask for. i love those guys... and whoever said that 2.5.x is a little "heavier" than 2.4, you're right... i don't know why or how to explain it, but 2.4 was definitely slicker... oh well, it still kills ie5 just for customizablity.

ns4.x?
what?! who besides cipher (who downgraded os's, for chrissake!) still uses that? it's so absurdly non-standards compliant/buggy/worthless that it makes me nauseous. oh well, to each their own.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2001, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>i'm in 9.1 exclusively, and i use:

ns4.x?
what?! who besides cipher (who downgraded os's, for chrissake!) still uses that? it's so absurdly non-standards compliant/buggy/worthless that it makes me nauseous. oh well, to each their own.

poocat.</STRONG>
isn't 10 an upgrade? that would make you cipher's best friend

seriously- talk about non-standards complant - you do know that icab is not ECMAScript compliant, dont you? that means no javascript for you (well, no ECMAscript to be precise)!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2001, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG> ns4.x?
what?! who besides cipher (who downgraded os's, for chrissake!) still uses that?</STRONG>
I do OK, not so much anymore, but as a developer, I still need to check everything in the two most popular browsers, and those are IE and NS.

Besides, checking it in NS makes for damn sure your tables are done right.

I just have so many damn bookmarks still in there

Reg

poocat
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 01:53 AM

yeah, i know what icab's lacking... and there is a bunch of it,
but i also have faith that they're working to fix it,
which is much more faith than i have in most of the other browser-makers.

so it's a trade off, like everything...
and i use ie5 when i have to, i just don't like it (mostly because of the memory waste...)

oh well,
we're all doing what we can.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Subzero Diesel949
Jul 30, 2001, 02:19 AM

Under 9.1: MSIE 5.0
Under X: OmniWeb 4.01
Win2k: Netscape 4.78

*However I only use MSIE 5.1 Preview when I need to visit an 'MSIE only' site...

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2001, 09:29 PM

If your site works in NS you most likely don't have problems with any other browsers. If it is tested only in IE, be aware that most likely you won't be usable in most other browsers.

NS is a great way to test even if you don't like it.

Raman
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
&gt;&gt;If your site works in NS you most likely don't have problems with any other browsers.

True. NN is the most fickle.

&gt;&gt;If it is tested only in IE, be aware that most likely you won't be usable in most other browsers.

False. But you probably mean "If you wrote standards-compliant code in the first place and it worked in IE, but you didn't test in NN then don't worry because it should work."

An argument against this is the fact that many ppl DO write code FOR IE and don't care less what it looks like in other browsers. If you wrote a browser program and your normal, non-techhie users' experience was at stake, you'd probably think about this and the market share that IE has and say to yourself "I better make my browser so it doesn't choke on bad (IE) code or no one's gonna use it."

Regular end-users don't care what browser they're using. They just want the page to render properly - no matter if the developer or designer wrote "good" code or not. If they have bad experiences with it then they'll try another browser. If that browser shows their pages properly then they'll use it. Happened to my Mom - she started complaining that pages looked all messed-up in NN. I told her to try the same page in IE. Does she care about the source code? No. She just wants to get on with her work. Other's want to just do their work, too.

&gt;&gt;NS is a great way to test even if you don't like it.

True. Just hate that it doesn't support 100% ECMAScript while IE does so to make sure the script code works, I have to make modifications to suit NN so I can test for piddly key/mouse events!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2001, 09:26 AM

Most want to be 100% accessible for all browsers. Remember IE doesn't exist for the Linux community... and that is a community of users who buys lots of stuff online, so you want to be compatible with what they use. They are very confortable with the net.

Anyway. I think the best way to write a page is with good code. Browsers like NN and especially Mozilla provide a great test to see. Mozilla is very standards compliant. If your page is good enough to appear right in Mozilla, your in good shape.

Boodlums
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2001, 02:21 AM

95% Lynx 2.8.3 (I telnet to my ISP which runs FreeBSD)

3% Opera 5.0b2

1% MSIE 5.0

1% Nav 4.08 (I hate Communicator; I only want a standalone browser)

-Walter (running OS 7.6.1)

Cipher13
Aug 4, 2001, 06:42 AM

Netscape Communicator 4.75 and IE 5 simultaneously...
OS 9.04.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2001, 07:24 AM

Mac OS X: Mozilla 0.92
Mac OS 9: IE 5

Percentage of time I spend in OS X: 95%
Percentage of time I spend in OS 9: 5%
I abused my signature until she cried.

Composer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 08:44 AM

I'm still in 9.1 land, and I use IE5 most of the time. Sometimes I use Netscape 4.x. When on Linux/Windows its Mozilla baby!

Here's the disclaimer I'd like to use on my web pages (but it isn't necessary):

Works best on: A computer
Using: A browser
Not too many sites do this (even mine sometimes).

Later!

"Life Without Music Would be a Mistake" -- Friedrich Nietzche

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 04:08 PM

I have os 9.1 and I use IE 5 most of the time and every so often I used Netscape 4.78

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 09:46 PM

I use Mozilla 0.9.3 almost all the time.
IE 5 for OS X to do online banking and saving new and cool
desktop pics because I like the way it saves a preview.
And I use Netscape 4.74 and 6.1 in Classic/OS 9.1.

I just downloaded Netscape 6.1 for this crappy NT box at work
and it just rocks butt. IE for Windows just sucks. No, back
up a sec. IE just sucks, period.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2001, 12:57 PM

OmniWeb 40% It's pretty and peaceful
IE 5.x 40% I'm more at home at Microsoft (That's scary!)
Mozilla 15% Intriguing, but a bit annoying.
Lynx 5% When I want to use the translucent terminal but don't know enough UNIX commands and get bored of 'cal 8 1001'

So, basically any one that behaves itself and pops new windows open behind the current one is favored. iCab does it, too. Mozilla, umm, well.

CityGuy2003
Aug 9, 2001, 04:25 PM

still using 9
iCab
Opera
IE
Communicator

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 01:59 PM

IE 5 in 9.1 and IE 5.1 Pre in X; I've also begun to try Netscape 6.1 in 9.1 and Netscape 6.1 Pre in X; sometimes also OmniWeb 4 in X.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 10:46 PM

Anyone who sees any sign of promise should check out Mozilla, you will be impressed..

Look at how diverse people are with browser. And to think many sites only support one of them.

(Statistics are never really accurate... there has never been a very thorough test to see what browser holds what percentage.... it's normally a few large sites share info, so MS gives the info for MSN, yahoo give for yahoo.com, and excite gives for their web site, and that represents the whole web. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2001, 01:45 AM

Netscape 4.71 in 9.2 and OmniWeb in X

kneissl
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 10:56 AM

Omniweb is my main browser.
Opera comes second
IE last
I use OSX full time

In 9.1 I only use IE

-=-=Ad Astra Per Aspera=-=-

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 12:28 PM

IE5 w/9.1
best combination (for me) so far...
fast, efficient...
made perhaps by another company also names microsoft???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2001, 08:57 PM

I use OmniWeb full time in X.

OmniGroup recently announced that OmniWeb 4.1 will support all CSS, Java, etc. It will be release around the release of MacOS X 10.1

OmniWeb 5.0 is on the way after 4.1 and it will sport huge feature improvement that will make all browser cry big time.

VRL
Senior User
Aug 12, 2001, 02:26 AM

Omniweb for Mac OS X
Netscape 4.x for other Macs (8.1-9.1)
iCab for 9.1
Netscape 4.7x for Linux
Netscape 4.7x for Win NT/98
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 09:08 PM

I'm all over the map with browsers too. I use N4.78, Moz 0.9.3 on my MacOS 9.1
OMniweb, Moz 0.9.3, Opera, and Links.

On linux it is netscape, Mozilla, and Lynx. Konquerer crashes too much.

<font face = "courier">Try MMKedit, if you want a great, free editor.</font>

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2001, 09:25 AM

OSX:
(1) Opera: because it's really fast, but downloading is not reliable
I hope they will release the final version soon!!!
(2) IE5.1 when Opera cannot handle the page, but IE stalls too often
(3) Omniweb to download, it looks nice, but it is soo slow
(4) Mozilla 0.9.3 (just trying)

OS9:
(1) IE5
(2) Opera
(3) Netscape 4.x to test

Windows:
(1) Opera 5.11, for 95% of the time: the fastest browser on earth
(2) IE because some pages don't work with Opera
(3) Mozilla
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2001, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>(Statistics are never really accurate... there has never been a very thorough test to see what browser holds what percentage.... it's normally a few large sites share info, so MS gives the info for MSN, yahoo give for yahoo.com, and excite gives for their web site, and that represents the whole web. )</STRONG>
http://www.TheCounter.com/stats/

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2001, 10:12 PM

One OS (OS X) and one browser (OmniWeb)...no need to confuse things

Over the past few months, OmniWeb has become the most stable browser I have ever used...almost to the point where I would consider registering it once CSS is properly implemented. Now how about that?

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 11:19 PM

IE 5
WWF rules

jadolfsson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 01:10 AM

ie 5, both in 9 and X

Opera now and then, just to feel the speeeed. too bad some sites come out shitty

R_in MD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 11:42 AM

IE 5.x 85%
NS 4.x 15%

I test all sites with both IE and NS in several flavors. The IE sites work much better. However, Mozilla 0.9.3 shows great promise. I've noticed some problems with vertical alignment and CSS support (probably related) and JS 1.2, but expect they're working on it. Once it's released, I'll support Mozilla as much as possible.

(I've received some complaints from people that have problems with IE6 BETA. My stock response is that until it's a true release, I'm not going to waste my time tracking down possible problems. I gave up trying to debug for a moving target a long time ago.)

/rick

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2001, 01:22 AM

I mostly use OS X. OmniWeb .4.0.3 is my choice browser there. I love the fonts. Viewing web pages is too damn good, especially for browsing the forums. IE only if I'm working on my web page cause refreshing PHP pages after a change seems to crash OW (either that or it's MySQL). Oh, and IE in OS X if I come across something incompatible, which is rare for me since I don't browse to new places often.

When I'm in OS 9, I use IE 5, exclusively.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2001, 09:41 AM

Using OS X, I skip back and forth between Omniweb and IE, and from time to time Opera and mozilla - I've sort of given up on iCab.

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules