Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The best Apple product of all time is...

The best Apple product of all time is... (Page 2)
P
Mar 22, 2017, 06:52 PM

The issue is mostly that some routers (notably Netgear, at least they used to) block IP multicast that Bonjour relies on, and then AirPlay doesn't work either. AirPlay should work on any standards-compliant router, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2017, 03:05 AM

I may revise my selection to be the iPad 2, all of the ones I bought are still working and useful (though a couple have had their batteries replaced). They've had an amazing lifespan, given how quickly most other devices become obsolete now.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2017, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I may revise my selection to be the iPad 2, all of the ones I bought are still working and useful (though a couple have had their batteries replaced). They've had an amazing lifespan, given how quickly most other devices become obsolete now.
Good call! ****ing epic battery. Still use a bunch for work.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2017, 12:46 PM

I use mine as a portable music stand and for road trip (>2hr) videos for the kiddo. It's dog slow and the lag is terrible, but that's on me for going past iOS 7.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2017, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
G3 powerbook was my dream machine back then. Couldnt afford it at the time though.
plus you could hot swap bays!!! I forgot about that, so you could swap the CD drive for a zip drive or even rock on two batteris, which you could swap without connecting the mac to power!!

Awesome feature.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Mar 24, 2017, 08:39 AM

Sure. Except we can do that now with USB, with the only difference is that you can also connect nothing and get a smaller, lighter laptop.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
plus you could hot swap bays!!! I forgot about that, so you could swap the CD drive for a zip drive or even rock on two batteris, which you could swap without connecting the mac to power!!

Awesome feature.
That was the Wallstreet right? I had the 99 Lombard which I adored. Pretty sure the battery only worked in one bay, but eventually I had all the kit for mine. I maxed the RAM at 512Mb I think it was, 120GB HD, I managed to blag a free G4 CPU upgrade for it from Daystar. I had a docking station, an expansion bay Superdisk drive, floppy and Zip (might have been externals) but mine had a DVD-RW with custom firmware so it was region free and bootable. It actually couldn't burn a DVD though, it wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the drive buffer.

Some bastard stole it shortly after I got the G4 chip. I still dream of finding it again. I'd know it in a heartbeat. So many customisations that would identify it to me. Plus I still have the box.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That was the Wallstreet right?
Yeah it was my first Mac laptop. I remember it more fondly than it's replacement, a G4 TiBook, or any of the subsequent MBP's.

The only laptop that I have felt as even close to as warmly towards is my current retina 15.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2017, 02:28 PM

I'd like to say it was the 12" G4 iBook (being my first Mac), but the 9.7" iPad Pro has been the Apple product that has become the most essential in my life. I don't have a single bad thing to say about it, other than I wish it was closer to 12".

I read books/comics on it, use the Apple Pencil for drawing and note taking, casually browse the Internet while in bed, watch Netflix/NBC Sports/etc. (those speakers aren't half bad), and about a billion little tasks. I only really take my notebook out of my backpack when I need to do some work in Photoshop.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
IIfx
iMac DVSE

Bonus points because the DVSE came with the hockey puck mouse, which was the worst product of all time.
Yup IIfx

just loved that time - macs could do so many things PC's couldn't, kids would come over just to see the color picker.
I never had the fx but had the II, dreamed of the fx.

HamSandwich
Apr 5, 2017, 10:13 AM

A marvelous thread! So, you find many of Apple's product special and important, and there's disagreement on what is really bad. So, Apple keeps being a company producing great things. There's also an agreement that many recent things are great, like the iPad pro or the recent MBP, which is cool.

Personally, I'd also add the cube, because it was hilarious. It was just unusual and creative and a cool way to view computers. I also might add the sunflower iMac, as I had one. It was a nice machine which you couldn't really use to play games on; however, the screen magically disappeared from view, you would just concentrate on your work/studies/homework/etc., your stuff, it was really unusual design. How about the recent Mac Pro? I really loved it and I understand why Apple fancied it so much. I dunno if reports are true that people look for something more modular, but I thought the idea was great, although pricing was hefty.

So, maybe the iPhone wins, right. It just changed the world, it is sort of magical and unusually innovative, it was just years ahead of its time, when it came out, so we should narrow it down to iPhone (1), because the others had fierce competition.

Greetings,
PeterParker

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
I also might add the sunflower iMac, as I had one. It was a nice machine which you couldn't really use to play games on; however, the screen magically disappeared from view, you would just concentrate on your work/studies/homework/etc., your stuff, it was really unusual design.
This is the first computer hardware design that absolutely floored me. I first saw them at a conference where they had 8 of them lined up, 4 on each side, on bistro tables so that attendees could check their email, news, etc.

I think they were also trying to show off a little. It worked. I took pictures of them with my SLVR.

Those computers were amazing.

So, maybe the iPhone wins, right. It just changed the world, it is sort of magical and unusually innovative, it was just years ahead of its time, when it came out, so we should narrow it down to iPhone (1), because the others had fierce competition.
It's not the cool answer, but it's almost certainly the correct one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 5, 2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's not the cool answer, but it's almost certainly the correct one.
Found the Android fanboy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Yup IIfx

just loved that time - macs could do so many things PC's couldn't, kids would come over just to see the color picker.
I never had the fx but had the II, dreamed of the fx.
The IIfx was my best computer purchase ever. I got it right near launch, so I had top-of-the-line hardware for more than a year. That was unheard of back then. You were always kicking yourself for not waiting a few more months for the inevitable better machines.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Found the Android fanboy.
Nah, I tried a Pixel too. Stupid autofocus doesn't work.

On a separate note, anyone want to buy a Pixel in perfect condition?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2017, 05:05 PM

haha

Forum Links
Forum Rules