Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > had to buy.. so, what will i be missing

had to buy.. so, what will i be missing
tether
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 12:36 PM

i couldnt wait any longer, work was waiting to be done - had to buy (or order anyway: the salesman said it'd probably take him a couple weeks to get the machine in). I went for the pb over the ibook so i have the dvd rw. So.. what will i likely be missing out on in the update due? a load of stuff, or just a small increase of processor speed, or what?

and are the speakers particularly small/tinny/crap on the 12" pb, or are they ok?

saint_theodora
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 01:37 PM

laptop speakers suck, period. but the 12 inchers are very, very small, and are fine for random internet sounds, the odd cd or dvd if you have nothing else, but for any long term listening, invest in a good set of peripheral speakers, or a good set of headphones. i've found that the sound quality from an apple is better in many respects than the sound from laptops i've had in the past.

i loooooove my 12" pb. i have the latest incarnation, and you will not be disappointed, especially if you max out the ram.

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 02:58 PM

Apple's speakers are very good for laptops. Much better than any other laptop I have seen so far...

Dewaine
Sep 24, 2005, 03:03 PM

Had my 12" almost a month now, and really like it. There is always something new just around the corner, but I have learned just to get what you need and it all works out.

I had ram from another laptop so I maxed my lil' Mac at 1.25 ram. Other than that mine is just the stock low end (combo drive) 12" alum PB. But, I play World of Warcraft just fine, MS Office, sync with my Pocket PC/Phone, and the dozens of other things I do with a computer. I wish I would have bought one sooner

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2005, 09:33 PM

Rock On 12'' PB!!!!!

robisconfusedd
Sep 25, 2005, 12:52 AM

woot!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12"s pwn all!!!!!

i think the laptop speakers are pretty good!

Tiresias
Sep 25, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by robisconfusedd
i think the laptop speakers are pretty good!
I've a 12" and didn't expect much from speakers the size of a couple of postage stamps. Peripheral speakers were a given. Sound Sticks, because I don't know about speakers, but I know what looks cool.

The inbuilt speakers on the 12" are... audible. Fine for OS sound effects. But get some headphones or peripherals if you want to listen to music or watch movies. They're all treble and no bass.

15" and 17"ers : How do your speakers compare to peripherals for their size?

[Edited typo]

brent0saurus
Sep 25, 2005, 09:52 AM

holy crap! could you please take that spinning wheel of death out??!?!?? It scared the crap out of me. It's 9:30 in the morning and all of a sudden i see the pinwheel while i'm doing nothing but surfing the web....scary.
haha, but thanks, it woke me up!

About the next powerbooks, i think they'll just have a small speed increase. The 15" and 17" models will probably be 2.0 ghz....and maybe come with more RAM considering the iBook comes with 512 tooo...
i heard some people thinking that the 12" would have a wide screen, but i doubt that. I think apple would save that for the mactels instead of just a small update.
Don't worry, you made the right decision. You waited as long as you possibly could. And if the new powerbooks come out any time soon, (within 14 days of your purchase) you can always go and say, "i just converted from windows and i hate mac OSX! It's too easy to use and beautiful...give me my money back!!" and then go to another apple store and buy the new powerbooks...heh heh hehhhhhh......mwahahahaha MMMWWWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

oh, and the 12" powerbooks are great. I personally have a 15" but i have 2 friends who have the 12" and they both love it. One being a mac user for EVER and he's 40 something years old, and one just recently switching from windows. I LOVE how the cd drive is on the side because on the 15" it's in front and when it's sitting on your lap you need to make sure you're not blocking the CD when you eject....oh well.
i'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

Tiresias
Sep 25, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by brent0saurus
holy crap! could you please take that spinning wheel of death out??!?!?? It scared the crap out of me.
That's funny! But it is not within my power to remove the spinning beach ball of death.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 02:22 PM

Um sig?
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Forum Links
Forum Rules