Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waaah, I'm retiring my Pismo!

Waaah, I'm retiring my Pismo!
Wayland
Oct 28, 2005, 08:17 PM

It is a sad day indeed, but I've decided to retire my Pismo, sniff, sniff. About 6 months ago, my backlight started to fail with the pink screen. Now my battery has dropped to 20 minutes run time. I figure it will cost about $125 to fix the backlight, maybe $100 for a new battery, and $200 for the g4 upgrade and so I might as well buy a new machine.

I am trying to decide between the ibook 12" (1.2 ghz) or powerbook 12" (1.33 ghz). Both have better portability than my pismo. Any comments? I like the powerbook more, but I hear the fan kicks in more often than with the ibook. How bad is it? I can get the powerbook for about $300 more than the ibook.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 08:34 PM

Get the iBook--it's far superior in cost versus features, and since you are moving from a Pismo it'll seem incredibly fast.

Dewaine
Oct 28, 2005, 09:06 PM

For some bizarre reason, it seems the fashion to trash the 12” Powerbook on these forums. As a 12” Powerbook owner I disagree. I think the iBook is a great value, and I also believe the Powerbook is worth its cost. My 12” Powerbook is the best computer I have ever owned. As a longtime computer user (since 1979) I do have some perspective on this.

If you are going to be doing any gaming, photo-editing, movie-editing or web developing than you will need the extra umph of the Powerbook. I know the iBook’s will do these things but the 64meg video card of the Powerbook simply makes it better. If the portable form factor means anything to you the Powerbook again wins. If you are going to take notes, surf the web and use iTunes only, than the ibook is perfect. I plan on buying one within the next month for my wife. But, if you have any “serious” uses for your book, than please look at the Powerbook. I am throwing the gauntlet down now for those that have a Powerbook and wish that they had bought a IBook instead. Tell us why you wish you had bought an iBook.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2005, 10:01 PM

i moved from a pismo to a 12" pb (1.33 alubook), and couldn't be happier
(well, i could be happier, but that's another story )

the powerbook is a bit more of a leap from the pismo, and well worth it imho.

either way, you'll appreciate more speed, power, better screen...and battery life.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Altair
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
i moved from a pismo to a 12" pb (1.33 alubook), and couldn't be happier
(well, i could be happier, but that's another story )

the powerbook is a bit more of a leap from the pismo, and well worth it imho.

either way, you'll appreciate more speed, power, better screen...and battery life.
Don't forget about the fact that the powerbook has a *much* better keyboard. If you do a fair amount of typing then the powerbook is a better choice.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 12:57 AM

The Pismo... Perhaps the most solid Mac ever. So say we all!

Here's another for the 12" PowerBook. Bashers aside, my experience has been like Dewaine's. It's been the most bulletproof computer I've owned. Mine's no longer perfect, since my toddler caused me to drop it and I flattened one of the corners, but I still love it.

The 12" keyboard is second only to my Nokia 6170 as Best. Keyboard. Ever!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2005, 12:16 PM

well i own a powerbook as well, and its the best computer ive ever owned. but i do bash on the 12" powerbook because in comparisson the ibook is more durable, has a better airport range, much better battery life, can house more ram and all this for a few hundred bucks less!!!...the only two features i see that the powerbook has over the ibook is the mini dvi and the audio out, but if those two features arent needed...do yourself a favor and get an ibook for its a far better deal than the 12".
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2005, 03:26 PM

I work with both PowerBooks and iBooks (but as a developer I use the former). I prefer the 15-inch PB, but the 14-inch iB are pretty damn cool and much, much cheaper. Don't forget to see what the Apple Store has as refurbished; I've just bought three of those units, and with the savings the 3-year AppleCare is more than free.

I have my Pismo in my closet, attached to the hub, with some huge hard drives hanging off it. Still useful as a basic web server, the occasional FTP, and it might become a iTunes jukebox if I can ever scrape together the time to set it up and manage moving tunes from my main system to the Pismo. (Remote Desktop is my friend.)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 04:34 PM

ibooks are thick as bricks.....even though pook performance is laughable....they're still thinner than ibooks. ibooks are also looking a bit long in the tooth design wise....pbooks are too..but less so.

basically the only reason to get powerbook is for aesthetic purposes..but i'm a vain mf'er...so i say powerbook.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2005, 05:19 PM

The reason to prefer a PowerBook over an iBook is because you want the wider screen and the extra ports. A developer wants both, generally.

The reason to prefer an iBook over a PowerBook is the cost.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2005, 01:12 AM

A 12" 1.33 GHz iBook gets just as hot as a 12" 1.33 GHz PB. Apple has not yet managed to repeal the laws of thermodynamics. The reason the PB feels hotter is that Apple uses the aluminum skin as extra cooling surface--the heat is very noticeable on the wrist rest and the bottom surface. With the plastic iBook shell, the heat stays inside, waiting for the fan to kick in. The iBook shell also acts as a slight noise damper, making it slightly quieter (aluminum transmits the sound.)

They both have the same screen, but with the monitor spanning hack for the iBook, the only advantage is the added video ram in the PB. The iBook has much better wireless range. The PB keyboard is great. Need DVI-out?

If you're interested in saving that $300 price diff towards an eventual MacIntel laptop, then the iBook's the way to go.

Moon Potato
Oct 30, 2005, 01:31 AM

Sorry to hear the old Pismo is being sent out to pasture... I just retired mine as well.
As far as the iBook vs. Powerbook debate goes, the iBook looks like a better deal on paper, but nobody knows what you want/need better than you... I'd suggest going to an apple reseller, and sitting down with both of the 'books for a bit before making your decision.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 02:01 PM

OK. Pretty good, objective-as-possible responses from most posters.

I've had all machines in question, and now, the 15" twice (1.25, and 1.67DL), as well as the Ti--along with older ones all the way back to the 540c.

In my opinion, the 12" iBook is a fantastic deal compared to the 12" PowerBook. If you absolutely need to pay the price premium, the 12" PowerBook will give you slightly more features. Depending on your needs (design, development, film, etc.), a 15" or 17" might suit you better. I think it's a pretty easy choice; just decide on a machine based on your portability needs.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 02:26 PM

For me, I would need the screen spanning, so the iBook would be a problem for that reason. That said, when I was just getting back into the Mac fold, I got the first dual usb iBook, and it was a great computer! Probably the best one I've ever owned. (until the DVD drive died, but it was 3 years old at that point.)

Wayland  (op)
Nov 1, 2005, 12:17 AM

I've changed my mind and am thinking about the ibook 14". The 12" form factor is great for portability, but I think I could use a superdrive. Speed is not really an issue for me. The ibook 14" is similar in portability to my pismo, but is much more updated. I am not sure I could live with the powerbook 12" as my only computer. Oh well, I guess I'll have to think a little more about this.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 01:38 AM

For the price then, why not get the PowerBook? The 14" doesn't give you any additional resolution benefit over the 12"

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 02:33 AM

"For me, I would need the screen spanning, so the iBook would be a problem for that reason."

This is supported through a variety of hacks, which work for tens of thousans, trouble free.

Fact is, the 12" PowerBook is egregiously underpowered for its current cost. Get an iBook or a used 12" PowerBook--buying a brand-new 12" powerbook is indefensible right now in terms of a cost/benefit ratio.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 10:43 AM

Why not take a look at the 12" PB refurbs in the "Special Deals" section of the Apple Store? A 12" PB 1.5 GHz with SD is $1300, with a 60 GB HD. Same price as the new 14" iBook new but a much better laptop. If you want new, look in the "Sale" section where the combo drive AlPB is $1300.

Better yet, you can get a refurb 15" AlPB 1.33 GHz combo for $1300--that's the way I'd go, just to get the much, much, much better screen. If you need a dvd-burner, assemble an external firewire one for much less money (it'll be faster, much faster than any SD.)

jmgriff
Nov 1, 2005, 11:24 AM

The 12" iBook exceeds the 12" powerbook in some respects (battery life, airport range, robusticity, max memory), the difference in clock-speed is minimal and the price much more reasonable. About the only reason to choose the Powerbook would be for screen-spanning via the DVI connection; as others have mentioned there is a tried-and-tested hack to enable spanning with the iBooks VGA connector. You might get a good deal on a refurbished powerbook from Apple. I wouldn't get the 14" solely for the superdrive ... buy an external firewire burner (or better DIY) to go with the 12" iBook - it will be more portable for the same XGA screen res and the external burner will offer better performance.

FWIW I'm a very satisfied 12" powerbook owner ... but the price Apple is asking for what you get is just too high to consider buying new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules