Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB and iLap

12" PB and iLap
ghettochild
Nov 28, 2005, 06:54 PM

I've searched the forum for posts about the ilap http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html and found scattered posts in several threads.

some users reported having their PB run about 10FÂș cooler w/ the iLap. if true, that'd be awesome...

so, I'd like to know from those people who use the iLap (not confined to 12" PB users) about your opinion. does it bring the temp down? also, how is the iLap in desktop use?

thanks in advance for any input!
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

ibook_steve
Nov 28, 2005, 07:00 PM

No feedback on this, but you know the "i" naming has gone too far when there's now a product called the iLap. That just sounds messed up.

Steve

ghettochild  (op)
Nov 28, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
No feedback on this, but you know the "i" naming has gone too far when there's now a product called the iLap. That just sounds messed up.
I'd appreciate on-topic replies. thanks!
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2005, 09:03 PM

My similar laptop stand dropped idle CPU temps by about 5C, full load CPU temps by about 8C, and disk temps by about 2C.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2005, 09:27 PM

Can't wait for the iLapDance.

If you're working at a desk, an iCurve will *barely* suffice.

ibook_steve
Nov 28, 2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghettochild
I'd appreciate on-topic replies. thanks!

You're welcome. Just trying to have some fun...

Steve

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 12:01 PM

Ugly looks devils arnt they?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jvicinanza
Ugly looks devils arnt they?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 03:34 PM

I made my own solution for desktop use, I simply put a lego block type thing under each corner of my pbook. I noticed it ran about 5 degrees cooler under normal use, however I dont have solution for lap/mobile use yet.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 04:07 PM

I've used the iLap... i can't really say it'll cool it by 10 degress F.
It helps for when your doing work on the couch or in bed...
but if your looking for something that cools it on the desk.. i would recommend a USB powered notebook cooler. With a notebook USB powered, my 15" Powerbook, dropped 5 degrees C under full load ...

I don't remember what the temp was when i had the iLap, since i've sold it and am using the notebook cooler... I'm kind of missing it now.
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 05:25 PM

well, not sure about it running a little cooler but my an doesn't come on as much so it must be doing something. At least my lap isn't toasted nice and crispy when I use the iLap and my 12" PB. The stand does grab some of the heat away from the PB.

The design makes it very versatile. Use at on your lap or use it on the desktop. The iCurve can't be used at all on your lap.

In any case, I just have a small desk fan pointed at my PB anyways. Yeah, it's probably overkill but I still do it.....

Dewaine
Dec 2, 2005, 08:35 AM

I've had the iLap with my 12" for about 3 months. I do not have numbers on actual cooling effectiveness, but it does draw heat away from the PB. Metal is of course a great heat conductor, and it just makes sense that it helps.

I like the iLap for portable use, but am not real thrilled with it for the desktop. With the front pad off for desktop use it slides around on the desktop to easy. I often work with headphones on and fear getting up with the headphones on and pulling my PB off the desk and onto the floor. But, on the lap I really like it. Very comfortable and stable.

ghettochild  (op)
Dec 2, 2005, 03:11 PM

thanks for the replies. I've read that the iLap isn't a good option for desktop use. that' okay b/c as for desktop use, I'm quite happy w/ the iRac

right now the iLap is on the FedEx vehicle for delivery. I'll report back when I got it.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 03:16 PM

looks cool

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 04:20 PM

You have the iLap and the iRac.....:/

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 08:56 PM

Same here. When the front cushion comes off, I worry about it. I applied a thin layer of rubber to my desk as well as at the front bottom of the iLap to kinda grip it.

Maybe using velcro might help?

I use the ilap for times when I'm on the sofa. The design of the iLap 12" doesn't really make it very portable for slipping into my laptop bag. So I use a RoadTools TravelPad. Its smaller form factor works better for me on the road.

Originally Posted by Dewaine
I like the iLap for portable use, but am not real thrilled with it for the desktop. With the front pad off for desktop use it slides around on the desktop to easy. I often work with headphones on and fear getting up with the headphones on and pulling my PB off the desk and onto the floor. But, on the lap I really like it. Very comfortable and stable.

Dewaine
Dec 3, 2005, 06:30 PM

I go so inspired, I just ordered me an iRac

I hope it will work good on a desktop, and my iLap works everywhere else....

ghettochild  (op)
Dec 4, 2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dewaine
I go so inspired, I just ordered me an iRac

I hope it will work good on a desktop, and my iLap works everywhere else....
it will. I think it's a decent desktop stand. even works well when the battery is removed (whereas most other stands then tilt to the right front.

also, it's $15 (incl. S&H)...
( Last edited by ghettochild; Dec 6, 2005 at 02:29 AM. )
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Forum Links
Forum Rules