Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backup Questions

Backup Questions
Dewaine
Jan 6, 2006, 10:11 AM

I just ordered an 80gig firewire Lacie drive from ClubMac. It should be here next week. I of course got firewire so it would be bootable from my Power Book. I want to mirror my internal drive on it, and be able to do quick backups so if at anytime I loose my internal drive I will have a pretty fresh bootable backup. By quick back ups I mean software that will backup only what has changed from the last backup. I do not wish to spend 30 minutes everytime I backup. Two Questions.

1) Can someone recommend good, cheap or free, software that will do this?

2) Dumb question I know, but my internal drive is 60gig, but I only use about 15gigs. I only use 15 gigs because I use an external usb drive to store iTunes files, projects etc. Will the mirror backup take 15 or 60 gigs on the backup drive? In other words can I partican the new drive as two 40 gig sectors and be okay?

Thanks!

jbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

SuperDuper will do this perfectly. The first back up will take the longest (clone your drive). After that smart update will update your backup with just what's changed and take only a few minutes. Not free, shareware but well worth it.

The back up will take as much space as your data uses (if you use 15 GB it'll be 15 GB. SuperDuper will also make your backup bootable.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2006, 08:18 PM

Carbon Copy Cloner. Freeware.

rem
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 08:36 PM

Personally, I would only backup /Users (the only place where user generated personal/shared files should be). To restore everything else I assume most people have CDs + while restoring a system why not get all of the latest versions of downloads.

I'd also have any complex settings saved (as text) in a user's folder. For example, if you have an obscure printer and/or obscure print server which you got to work via trial and error, save the print driver name and method that worked to reach print server in a text file.

Dewaine  (op)
Jan 6, 2006, 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone for you input. I will check out the software suggested for sure. I have downloaded CCC and the demo of SuperDuper. If CCC does what I need then its the one (hey its free!), if not the SD.

As far as /User and update everything, I hear what you are saying and that is what I do now. I am a backup freak however, and want a bootable clone. I always had that when I was a PC user.

This will make three external hard drives for me, and I have back ups on all. I also have my iTunes music on DVD's in a safety deposit box. Over kill? Yes! I am careful with my data.

But, in my defense. I have owned computers since 1980 (yes 25 years) and have had hard drives (and floppys) fail, but have NEVER lost data.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

Don't discount Déjà Vu by Propaganda. Not only does it do a full bootable clone, but scheduled backups to say, backup your Home folder (weekly), a specific project folder (daily), and so on.

Good call. I do the same with my LaCie. And DVD backups.
( Last edited by iomatic; Jan 6, 2006 at 10:06 PM. )

rem
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dewaine
I also have my iTunes music on DVD's in a safety deposit box. Over kill? Yes! I am careful with my data.

But, in my defense. I have owned computers since 1980 (yes 25 years) and have had hard drives (and floppys) fail, but have NEVER lost data.
You reminded me that I don't have any offsite backups (ouch), gotta fix that! Otherwise I use a pc as a server (with bsd) to backup stuff. Right now I have two backups, but its all at the same location.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 02:17 AM

I just went through a hard drive replacement. I made the mistake of only backing up my User folder. I lost a huge number of fonts I forgot were in the system font folder. Make sure you have EVERYTHING in the user folder if you just want to backup it. Just some friendly advice....

Dewaine  (op)
Jan 8, 2006, 12:36 AM

Thanks again, have also downloaded Deja Vu, it will be tried if CCC (it's free!!!) does not do what I need. I thank each of you for your time, and expertise.

CobraNT, yes I know that the user folder will not really back up everything "unique" to my Mac. I think the only "real" back up is a complete bootable clone. But, if that is not available, a quick pretty darn good solution is a backup of the /user directory. Your experience with the font issue is a good example of something we don't normally think of. Computers really are very personal. The OS and the softwore (programs) are not unique, but the data that each person creates as they experience the OS or a particular program is.

I do realize that off site storage like me with my safety deposit box may seem a bit extreem. But I have hundreds of pics of my children, and now my grandchildren. The house burns, and yes the insurance will buy me another Mac, but they can never replace the physical record of those memories. To me all this is cheap insurance.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 12:41 AM

I totally understand. I did a bootable clone last night with Carbon Copy Cloner and put it in my fireproof safe. Hopefully it will survive in a fire, but I think I will create another copy and put it out in the garage somewhere (not attached to the house). I am glad I only lost fonts. I have hundreds of graphic files for customers that could not be replaced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules