Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgraded iMac G5 :)

Upgraded iMac G5 :)
saxondale.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 02:16 PM

From 1GB to 2.5GB DDR2 RAM

For some reason, i still boot up slow, meaning i must need to reinstall Tiger. I am able to run (all at the same time):
Aperture
Photoshop
Final Cut Pro
Logic Express
iMove
iPhoto
iDVD
GarageBand
MSN
Safari

All nicely, even though i wouldnt need to i just wanted to see how it could cope

Peter753
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2006, 03:41 PM

What'd ya pay for the 2 gig dimm? Those things are crazy.

saxondale.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 04:25 PM

£95

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 08:15 PM

so you're saying after you upgrade the RAM, you have to re-install the OS just to get it to recognize the new RAM?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2006, 08:27 PM

I wasn't aware more RAM was supposed to decrease boot time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

saxondale.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 11:34 AM

no no no, i dont need to reinstall anything. My boot time on my iMac has been slow, and since this upgrade, its only been slightly faster. After talking to a few people, it seems like the iMac G5 generally boots up slow.
I thought that my slow boot times were to do with Tiger, thats why i said i probably need to reinstall it.

Dewaine
Jan 28, 2006, 09:44 PM

Okay, this is making me crazy I just bought a used iMag G5 2.0ghz, 17".... I have not even got it yet, but went ahead and ordered two 1 gig sticks to "max" it out to 2 gigs.... Now you are telling me that I could put one or two 2 gig sticks in it? First I heard of this! I knew of the 2 gig sticks, but since the max ram (per Apple) is 2 gigs (a gig in each slot) I did not think it would work..... In theory I could have 4 gigs?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 10:09 PM

So don't reboot. Just put it to sleep.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

saxondale.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2006, 10:14 PM

You can go up to 2.5gb, you have 1 module left, it has built in 512mb and you can go up to 2gb on the free module

bryoung
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dewaine
Okay, this is making me crazy I just bought a used iMag G5 2.0ghz, 17".... I have not even got it yet, but went ahead and ordered two 1 gig sticks to "max" it out to 2 gigs.... Now you are telling me that I could put one or two 2 gig sticks in it? First I heard of this! I knew of the 2 gig sticks, but since the max ram (per Apple) is 2 gigs (a gig in each slot) I did not think it would work..... In theory I could have 4 gigs?
They are talking about the iMac Rev C with the iSight camera built in. Those iMacs have 512 on the motherboard and one ram slot. So the max ram that you can have installed is 2.5 gigs. The 2 gig chip is what he added to his iMac.

I don't think that your new iMac will support the 2 gig chips.

B.
24" iMac 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 20" iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo ~ 13" MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo

saxondale.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 07:57 AM

56Seconds to boot up, surely it should be quicker...

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 08:35 AM

My iMac G5 1.9 Ghz that I had for about a week booted up in about 45-50 seconds - the single G5s were pretty slow at booting. (that was with 512 megs RAM)

I also use a PowerMac G5 single proc 1.8 ghz at school, and that boots in just over a minute, and thats with 2 gigs RAM.

I also have an iBook G4, 1.2 Ghz, 512 RAM, and that boots in approx 1 min 10 seconds.

Just a few points of references that I thought might help out
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
My iMac G5 1.9 Ghz that I had for about a week booted up in about 45-50 seconds - the single G5s were pretty slow at booting. (that was with 512 megs RAM)

I also use a PowerMac G5 single proc 1.8 ghz at school, and that boots in just over a minute, and thats with 2 gigs RAM.

I also have an iBook G4, 1.2 Ghz, 512 RAM, and that boots in approx 1 min 10 seconds.

Just a few points of references that I thought might help out

It's all nice to have a faster boot time, but there's way too much hoopla over this.
How often do you re-boot? I usually leave it on sleep...

Plus I don't think an extra 20 seconds wait makes that much difference in my life.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 19, 2006, 01:21 PM

yeah , i guess reboot time is more important in windoze as they crash so often you end up doing a lot of it

Forum Links
Forum Rules