Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where to buy imac g4

Where to buy imac g4
Atomic_hunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 03:29 AM

Hey everyone

I'm interested in buying the older imac G4. I'm not interested in the G5. The G4 is practically a dream computer when it comes to the appearance haha. I was hoping to buy a model with a 20" screen. I do not care what the stats are of the machine. I will most likely be upgrading it (I am not sure what the max is for this machine) but compared to the newer computers. Eg: 1Gb of ram and 150-250GB
If anybody could tell me where I would be able to purchase the computer it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too sure if i would look at e-bay. Perhaps as a last resort hehe Also if i were to wait till later this year would it still be possible to purchase this model or would it become unavailable. Would it be best to buy it and work on fixing it up until I move out?
sorry thats alot a questions to take in. Hope i can get some helpful answers back

thanx everyone

xcaliber
Jan 30, 2006, 03:58 AM

The iMac G4 .. fondly known as the "iLamp" .. lol.. is a great machine.. I have one and I love it.
I believe the largest hardrive they came with was 80 GB. As far as Ram.. Apple specs say max of 1GB .. however.. that's because at the time, there wasn't a memory stick any greater than 512 for the iMac. I've got mine maxed at 2GB .. 1 stick on the accessible slot and 1 stick on the internal slot (I had Apple certified techs to that).

As far as finding one.. unless you go thru E-Bay, it might be tough. I've seen them occassionly at Small Dog Electronics. Perhaps if you can get your hands on a MacWorld type magazine .. that would help as there are adds for places that sell used/reburbished Macs.

Good Luck!!

Dewaine
Jan 30, 2006, 09:11 AM

Check out this link....

http://www.expercom.com/product_deta...DUCT_ID=308348

I've never bought from them myself, perhaps someone else has and can give feedback.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2006, 08:11 AM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules