Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 car charger?

Powerbook G4 car charger?
asodamiac
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 03:55 PM

Hey guys, is there any sort of car charger or car adaptor for Powerbooks? While I know a car's cigarette lighter can be used to charger smaller things such as cell phones or iPods, I have no idea if it can draw enough energy to charge a Powerbook.

I'm planning on traveling by car this summer and need a way to download my photographs as I'm on the go. It's either the car charger option (if one exists) or I will probably have to look into a portable hard drive with memory card reading capabilities (Epson comes in mind).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 06:50 PM

I honestly don't know if there was ever one, as I've only been with Apple since the G4 Mac Mini, but I can offer you a solution. In various places, particularly Lowe's or Home Depot, you can find a power inverter which plugs into your cigarette lighter. For under $100 you can get a decent one that should be able to handle the wattage.

Don't bother trying the cheap hand-sized ones... go for one of the flat red ones with a flipable two-way power switch and a fan. I have one with two AC outlets that handles 400W.

Some electrical appliances don't like inverters though... from personal experience I know that Craftsman drill battery chargers will fry if you hook them up, but I never had a problem on the few occasions when I hooked my CD MacBook to it. I haven't yet needed to hook my new MBP to it.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks Rogue. I'm a bit weary now, knowing that some appliances will actually fry when used with the inverter! I will have to do a bit more research into these things. Having one would be very useful as I could charge other batteries (especially for my camera) as well.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

finboy
May 24, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Thanks Rogue. I'm a bit weary now, knowing that some appliances will actually fry when used with the inverter! I will have to do a bit more research into these things. Having one would be very useful as I could charge other batteries (especially for my camera) as well.
Madsonline used to make good travel chargers, you should look for their website. As for inverters, to use with electronics you usually need one that has a cleaner output, but with battery chargers for most laptops, that isn't an issue. I've never had any problem using a standard inverter with a Powerbook or Dell laptop, b/c the laptop draws from the battery, not really from the power supply so much.

Or try these guys, they're dependable (probably buying from Madsonline):

MCE Auto/Air Combo Adapter for PowerBook G4 and iBook

MACABY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Hey guys, is there any sort of car charger or car adaptor for Powerbooks? While I know a car's cigarette lighter can be used to charger smaller things such as cell phones or iPods, I have no idea if it can draw enough energy to charge a Powerbook.

I'm planning on traveling by car this summer and need a way to download my photographs as I'm on the go. It's either the car charger option (if one exists) or I will probably have to look into a portable hard drive with memory card reading capabilities (Epson comes in mind).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
I have been using car chargers for my notebooks and travel tv for years with no problem. I got mine at Walmart for $20.00. It have a standard 3 prong wall plug. I have a powerbook and it has been just fine. Hope this helps. I have seen these charger/adapaters at Best Buy as well...

MACABY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2007, 01:04 PM

Forgot to mention it is a good size charger. longer than my hand, but works great!

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 01:33 PM

I've still got obsolete powerbook automobile chargers and you've just reminded me that it's about time to throw them out--or else bundle them with the old laptops and get rid of them...I don't have one for my 12" PB, I finally wised up and got a power inverter, which will charge my mobile or even charge my NIMH batteries.

So, don't go buying a powerbook charger 'cause it'll be obsolete soon as you buy it. Buy a power inverter instead. Most powerbooks are 65W, the MBP is 85W, so buy one that has an on/off switch and gives you 100W. That way, you'll be future-proof.

Weight is no problem, because the car is carrying it. You'll just stick it under the seat.

Don't buy an oversize power inverter, because when you're parked, say at a campground, you'll be running your battery down a lot faster than prudent, and you definitely don't want to end up with a dead battery (or having to idle your car all the time.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules