Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Time Sync Problems w/ Boot Camp

Time Sync Problems w/ Boot Camp
bdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 03:08 AM

I just installed Vista via Boot Camp and I have a problem that when I go back into Mac, the time is screwed up.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 05:10 PM

As the forum guidelines say, search the forums before posting. This issue has come up many times before.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007, 06:38 PM

As far as I can tell, BC 1.2 fixed this. Updating the drivers is easy and free. And while mduell's response may sound a bit coarse, he's right-our search is very helpful.

Oh, and welcome to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 11:56 PM

1.3 still won't fix it... this is driving me INSANE. I've had this happen to me on XP AND on Vista.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2007, 10:18 AM

I haven't noticed it as a problem lately. Maybe you need to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers? Windows OSs are notorious for (selectively) not doing driver installations as smoothly as they should, nor effectively reporting when an installation doesn't "take."

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 10:58 AM

I've installed the drivers several times, but this morning, Google was my friend, and I hit upon a solution!

Apple - Support - Discussions - windows Clock ...

I found a better solution to this whole thing. The problem with the Windows clock being off is because the hardware clock (the one on your actual motherboard) is being set to "Universal" time, or GMT, when you shut down your MacOS bootup. When you boot Windows, Windows assumes your clock is set to your local timezone because that's what Windows does by default. This explains why the people who set their MacOS clock to GMT got the right time in Windows... If the hardware clock is being set to "GMT," when it's actually the local time, Windows will pick this setting up as local time as it did before.

To fix this, you need to add a key to your Windows system registry to tell Windows that your hardware clock will always be GMT.

*** WARNING: Editing your registry improperly can render your Windows installation inoperable. Proceed VERY carefully. I am not responsible if you mess something up. ***

The short solution for people who know how to edit the registry:
A DWORD key called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal needs to have the value of "1"

The step-by-step solution is as follows:
1. Boot Windows

2. Click Start --> Run and type regedit. Click OK

3. The Windows Registry Editor should pop up. Navigate within the explorer to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation

4. Click on the TimeZoneInformation "folder" from the navigation pane if you haven't already done so.

5. This assumes the correct key doesn't exist. If it does, you will just change the existing key's value: Right click on the white space within the folder (If you don't have a right mouse button, you may need to download a program called applemouse to emulate the "control-click" of the apple 1-button mouse). Select new --> DWORD Value. Title the key "RealTimeIsUniversal" (No quotes). Set the value to "1" (No quotes again). Hexidecimal should be fine.

6. Either reboot and set the clock in MacOS or set the clock in Windows. You should now be able to reboot into either OS and have a correct clock.
Rogue
-------

"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2007, 03:52 AM

Using that registry trick still isn't a total fix. It's a holdover in the NT code base from when NT ran on PowerPC, SPARC and Alpha, and is bugged. Eventually the windows clock will change around, but it doesn't touch the system clock.

Apple's "fix" in bootcamp was simply to try and force a network time update on boot, but if the network is down at boot, it doesn't work.

The proper fix would be to try and get RealTimeIsUniversal fixed properly.
<This space under renovation>

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2007, 06:39 AM

Well, I still have BootCamp's time service running, so it syncs up every time I boot. Most f the time I'm online anyway, so I suppose that's not an issue for me.

The biggest thing for me is not having to sync time every time I boot into Tiger.
Rogue
-------

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2007, 10:56 PM

I just updated to the Boot Camp 1.3 drivers, and there was NO apparent time issue. Windows saw the right time, and so did OS X after I rebooted. Plus Parallels seems to be very happy with the 1.3 drivers as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules