Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Supply fan speed =0???

Power Supply fan speed =0???
Kikaida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 10:16 AM

The continuing saga of my Mac Pro meltdown continues (2.66/4gigs RAM.) After installing SMC Fan Control, my Power Supply Fan = 0 rpms. I've used the utility to raise the rpm speed, but it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know where the fan plugs in so I can check to see if its a simple connection issue?

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 3, 2008, 10:42 AM

Been using that program too and yeah the power supply fan does not adjust with this program. I emailed the maker about it but haven't recieved an answer. Whats causing your melt down? Did it do this from the beginning when you purchased it?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Kikaida  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 11:12 AM

I cracked open the optical drive bay and can now confirm that the power supply fan does not spin.

Here's the chronology of my meltdown:
- Mac Pro goes to sleep, then refuses to output video. A new video card and some slot reshuffling seem to intermittently come back for weeks, then days, then hours at a time.
- Mac Pro no longer outputs video, but will run headless. Video cards no longer show up in Apple System Profiler.
- Mac Pro will run headless for a few hours at a time before shutting down
- I start removing hard drives to keep temperature down. Video output returns.

I'm racing to get files off this machine before it dies completely. My guess is that its overheating because the power supply fan isn't working.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 11:44 AM

Have you verified that the PSU fan is not spinning? Could just be a bug in SMCFC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules