Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need standard users to be able to add printers

Need standard users to be able to add printers
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 01:25 PM

We've started a 1:1 Laptop pilot program at work, but I've run into a problem. Students taking their laptops home can't add network printers, only USB. They also can't add the printers at school, not without needing an administrator password.

I found a way to do it, but I wanted to know if anyone can think of a reason not to do it.

I edited the "authentication" file in /etc and changed the System Preferences group from "admin" to "everyone." This leaves the printers control panel unlocked, and a standard user can add a printer. They still need admin password to modify Accounts, but that was the only one I was really worried about.

Seems to work fine, but I just wanted to get other peoples' opinions.

Thanks
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't do that method since you unlock more than just the printers prefpane. A better way to do it is to modify /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Add the staff group to the items you want them to be able to do themselves.
Vandelay Industries

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 05:05 PM

I'm not up to snuff on modifying the cupsd.conf Can you give me an example of how it should look?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 05:29 PM

Sure... This is the section relevant to adding printers. Add "@staff", shown in bold, to the required user list. This allows anyone in the staff user group, which all normal users are a part of, to add a printer and also delete too. I also highly recommend modifying the access to pausing and resuming printers especially when dealing with network printers.

Code:
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default> AuthType Default Require user @SYSTEM @staff Order deny,allow </Limit>
Vandelay Industries

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm not up to snuff on modifying the cupsd.conf Can you give me an example of how it should look?
You know, that almost sounds like it would require the user to use the CUPS configuration page, instead of OS X's GUI tools. The CUPS configuration page is not the most user friendly thing. But, I could be wrong, so others may feel free to correct me.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 05:55 PM

No, this also governs the permissions for Apple's GUI printing tools.
Vandelay Industries

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2008, 01:08 PM

Awesome, thanks. The other way I found was to comment out both authentication part and the groups part. I think I like your way better because it still requires authentication, though they don't have to be an administrator.

Forum Links
Forum Rules