Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice needed: used Powerbook or new iBook?

Advice needed: used Powerbook or new iBook?
huxbnw
May 4, 2004, 01:36 AM

Hello everyone. My dad is buying a computer for my mom, and is hesitating between a used Powerbook titanium 1 Gig and a new 14 inch iBook 1.2 Gig. The price of the Powerbook will probably be around 1300, and the iBook will be 1750 after buying all the essentials. The specs seem quite similar. What should he do? Thanks for the help.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 01:52 AM

$1,300 for a 1GHz Titanium...

Get the Titanium. No question.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 02:03 AM

Yeah get the TiBook...The 14" iBook is cool but it feels cheap and the speakers suck.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 08:56 AM

Yup what the others said. A used Powerbook, especially from someone who really looked after it like I did with mine, is fine. Go with the Powerbook.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
$1,300 for a 1GHz Titanium...

Get the Titanium. No question.
True, but the iBook will be better overall in speed and value. First off, you can buy Applecare for the iBook since it's a new machine. 2nd, the iBook is much more durable for everyday use. 3rd, the iBook is a faster machine due to the larger L2 cache and the additional 200Mhz and the better graphics. The speed increase is very important when it comes running Panther or any of the current Apple apps.
4th, even without Applecare the iBook will have an Apple warranty unless the Powerbook is a refurb bought from Apple then that will come with a U.S warranty too. And last the Tibooks are great machines but the screens touch the keyboards and that's been an issue and the paint chips. Overall the iBook will last better.
( Last edited by hldan; May 4, 2004 at 12:48 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:22 PM

Excellent condition used pbook, go for the Ti.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:59 PM

I don't know about a used PB over a new iBook, only thing that I would want from the Ti that isn't on the iBook is the widescreen, but other then that the iBook not only looks better spec wise but it'll have a warranty on it as well. Then again the Ti book is alot cheaper in cost, tough decision but I'd personally go with the 1GHz iBook and save a few bucks.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 01:17 PM

iRez has a point. I just personally prefer the construction built of the ti books.

huxbnw  (op)
May 5, 2004, 06:00 PM

We know the person selling the Powerbook, and have absolutely no worries about its condition. I've seen it and it's nearly in perfect shape. The real question is about durability: for a computer that will hopefully last 3+ years, would it be better to get a new iBook or a used Powerbook? Is 1300 just too good a price for a Powerbook to pass up? All advice is helpful, thanks.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 06:49 PM

well, the ball is in your court, what are the specs on the pbook compared to the ibook you are getting?

Forum Links
Forum Rules