Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AI owners from UK and white spots?

15" AI owners from UK and white spots?
60-hz
Oct 19, 2003, 07:49 AM

I'm thinking about buying the 15" 1.25Ghz PowerBook. Have any UK owners had any problems with the spots?

I had a Titanium PowerBook and didn't have any problems in regards to the paint flaking issue. The guy at the Edinburgh Scotsys Apple Store said the paint flaking issue seemed to be with the US Titanium PowerBooks?

Just hoping that i don't go out and get the new 15" and have problems with white spots.
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 07:56 AM

I'm from norway, and I don't have any problems at all.

tterp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 08:24 AM

Yes could we please expand this list to all European countries (im danish and waiting for mine )

Could it be that the eu-models are assembled on another factory in Taiwan than the us-ones? :/ And that the problems on the first shipment were related to some sluggish factory-workes

/tterp

Blackstealth
Oct 19, 2003, 08:28 AM

Ask me again in the middle of next week, mine should have arrived by then.

If it is indeed the case that UK/EU do have the dreaded spots then I'm not going to be too happy at the thought of sending it back for repair - it's taken over a month for them to ship it...

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Blackstealth:
Ask me again in the middle of next week, mine should have arrived by then.

If it is indeed the case that UK/EU do have the dreaded spots then I'm not going to be too happy at the thought of sending it back for repair - it's taken over a month for them to ship it...
If I remember correctly then you ordered yours around the same time as I did, 19/09.

One or two days after I ordered mine it was being assembled. All the delays, according to Apple DK, happened because there was a stock constraint of Airport Extreme Cards.

Anyway, I hope they timed it in such a way that the machine was not being build until every part was available. This way the chance of getting a bad one should be lower.
But if they state that it's being assembled two days after I order it, then I guess they were building it.

I'm just so worried about getting a faulty one :/
--hengx

Blackstealth
Oct 19, 2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by hengx:
If I remember correctly then you ordered yours around the same time as I did, 19/09.
Yeah, I ordered mine 17/9 and it was being listed as being assembled about 4 hours after I ordered it...
It's arrived - 15" PB 1.25Ghz - Damn is this a fine machine!

adrianl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 11:25 AM

Can't talk from direct experience but am keen to get new PB and have been monitoring the 'spots' prob here and on Apple's own boards.

As a UK user I was disappointed to see posts from UK owners with the white spots problem. In fact it's proved impossible to trace it to any particular country/retailer/batch but seems to be an inherent design flaw with the LCD case mounting/support. Apple must be pretty close to making official statement.

FWIW the 12" doesn't seem to have the problem.
Adrian Langford
London, UK

Forum Links
Forum Rules