Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To Buy..or To Wait 4 New Macbook?

To Buy..or To Wait 4 New Macbook?
flip0615
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 12:48 PM

HI, I have a dillema and I need your opinion. I will need a laptop for college next year and I'm sure I want a Macbook. I have a dillema because I don't know if I should wait for the new Macbook's to come out. I heard they don't come till October which doesn't help me. But if it that amazing of a new Macbook, I think I should wait. If I buy one now, should I go with the white and upgrade with third party RAM?? Thanks for all posts!!

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 12:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to study?

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

scushkadee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 02:10 PM

well.. according to Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac
the average update cycle is 202 days. if you wait until october for the leopard update, what would stop you from waiting for the next product update?

flip0615  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by liquidsilver6840 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to study?
I'm going into Criminal Justice, then law school.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 02:26 PM

Hmmm... I dont mean to sound degrading, but I think that for that you just need web browser and a text-editor, right? Or you planning on using more applications for college? Anyways, the point I want to make is that if you are not going to feel the difference between the current MacBooks and the ones to come regarding speed, you should get one now.

flip0615  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 03:34 PM

Yeah, thats what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything HUGE in Oct. I will buy now and just go half and half with my brother for Leopard. Thanks for the help.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 03:42 PM

Always a pleasure. Which MacBook are you planning on getting?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 05:55 PM

The last update was pretty meager, so some people think Apple will give them a 'full' update to current technology soon. I think it's more likely that we'll see the next upgrade in November or so.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 07:59 PM

Buy it a few weeks before you absolutely need it. Don't fret the update cycle - the glow only lasts a couple of months anyway. They are great machines now, possibly a little bit better in a few months, certainly much better a year from now. Buy one when you need it.

unix
Jul 9, 2007, 03:01 PM

just get one now...i have a feeling that a new one wont come out anytime soon...if a whole new redesigned macbook is going to come out soon, its bound to have some problems, i'de play it safe and get one now, afterall im going to university too, and thought about the same problem and thats what i decided to do

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 06:22 PM

Main question is, what computer are you using now, and is there anything to prevent you from using if for a couple of months at school till the next revision comes out? For example, have you got a laptop at this point?

On the whole, it depends how philosophical you are about revisions coming out only a short time after your purchase? If you're the type of person who remembers how much fun they've had with a perfectly fine product, how much it's helped them, then buy now. If you're the type of person who who gets deeply disappointed when something new comes out shortly after you've bought, then you'd better wait, because you'll plainly be more satisfied.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 04:11 AM

I bought my PowerBook and a couple of months later the much faster MBP came out. I was so pissed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules