Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's fun in Boston?

What's fun in Boston?
Gavin
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 01:58 AM

I'm going to be in Boston for a couple of days in july. Any suggestions as to what I should check out? Any good cheap food places?
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 10:56 AM

Kelly's Roast Beef, on Revere Beach.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2009, 11:01 AM

The Science Museum
The shops at Faneuil Hall
The Independence Walk
MacWorld
Mike's Pastry
Legal Seafood (not cheap, but worth it)

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

lexapro
Baninated
Jun 8, 2009, 11:40 AM

Freedom Trail

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2009, 11:41 AM

^covered a lot , here's some more:

Museum of fine arts
Isabella stuart gardner museum
Public Gardens

what to do may be related to where you're staying and how much time you have. A duck boat tour might be fun if you've never done one.

Cheap eats... hmm.

Zaftig's in Brookline has good Jewish deli comfort food, not too expensive.
Anna's taqueria, has a few locations, cheap.

trying to remember name of wrap place that was good...

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 08:38 PM

You may want to check out a game at Fenway. If not, even the tour on off-game days is pretty cool. Harvard Square in Cambridge is different, as is the glass flower exhibit at the Harvard Museum of Natural History. Walking down Marlborough Street with its brownstone homes, brick sidewalks, and real gas lantern street lights is something quite special. The cross streets run Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester, Hereford, and then Mass Ave. Start from Mass and you end up right across the street from the Public Garden. A great place to bring some snacks and just people watch.

Cheers!

btw - that place is across the street from the Public Garden.

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 09:52 PM

Great lists - thanks guys!

- I also hear I should go to the "oyster house" on the waterfront. supposed to be ancient and funky.

I'm only there two full days.

I like the idea of cool neighborhoods.

So "legal seafood"? Is that a restaurant near the law school or is there a problem with fish falling off of trucks

Is all of this stuff in walking distance? How are the buses? I'm used to the generally sucky public transportation in Seattle, but I've also been to Tokyo and London where you can easily get anywhere.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 10:14 PM

Boston underground rail or "T" is fine. It'll take you anywhere in the city in minutes, though many remark on the walkability of the place. Going from Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Marketplace where you will find the Union Oyster House/Bell In Hand/Marshall House and many other great spots for seafood/beer you can walk up past the old State house where the Boston Massacre took place down through the Boston Common up Commonwealth Ave(beautiful boulevard) or Newbury Street(high fashion district) in 30-45 minutes. This will take you from the old historic parts to the Back Bay, which was created in a grid like fashion during a massive landfill project in the mid 19th century. The grid is much unlike the older section which has many winding more narrow roads.

The city is filled with sports, events, history, music, and food. You only have a few days, but you should have a great time.

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Great lists - thanks guys!

- I also hear I should go to the "oyster house" on the waterfront. supposed to be ancient and funky.

I'm only there two full days.

I like the idea of cool neighborhoods.

So "legal seafood"? Is that a restaurant near the law school or is there a problem with fish falling off of trucks

Is all of this stuff in walking distance? How are the buses? I'm used to the generally sucky public transportation in Seattle, but I've also been to Tokyo and London where you can easily get anywhere.
"The Union Oyster House" does have authentic historical significance, although being a tourist destination in the downtown area, you'll pay the equivalent prices, but I'd say yes, it's worth the visit. You'll get to sit in the presence of our founding fathers.

Legal Sea food is the North Easts "hometown" seafood restaurant chain. Their clam chowder ("chowdah") has been served at the last several presidential imaginations. There's a whole story about how the name came to be, but in short, it refers to their stringent quality control and food preparation methods. Still a little on the pricey side but good. They have several locations in down town Boston

I also second the recommendation of Kelly's Roast Beef on Revere Beach. Prices are low and the food fantastic (If the weather is not one that would make you want to go to the beach, take the orange line to Sullivan Square, cross the pedestrian bridge toward the parking garage. They have another location their on the corner. Same great food, just not as nice of a view)

For more great dining options, checkout: Boston Restaurants, Boston Menus, Ratings, Reviews, Boston Restaurants Guide

Public transportation is easy and fairly reliable, locally known as the "T" (officially it's the MBTA) runs the commuter rail, subway, Harbor Ferry, and buses around Boston. Get the daily (currently $9 or weekly pass (currently $15) which will give you "Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Inner Harbor Ferry, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A". Check out the website at mbta.com for more info.

On the other hand if the weather is nice (which hopefully for you it will be). Boston is a walking city, and you can easily walk to most places in the downtown area with out too much exertion.

As for things to do, add visiting the USS Constitution to your list.
What, me worry?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 12:22 AM

Be sure to check out Berklee. Avoid Nan Lings and Steve's Pizza like the plague.

Leonard Skinner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2009, 04:01 AM

What about the hoes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules