Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 21)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 10:39 AM

Andi and I took out 2 or 3 clumps of it a week ago. I'm not telling you were we got it from though.

By building the portal at Seks I was attempting to have a single portal we would use till the bug was fixed. Now you have to suffer through building your Nether end portals or walking.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Andi and I took out 2 or 3 clumps of it a week ago. I'm not telling you were we got it from though.
Secret portal?

I saw all the surrounding area around the original portals got mined hard, including a space I had worked my way to but hadn't managed to mine thanks to us being under constant Ghast attack.

There's some clumps in the area sek and I managed to get to after 30 min, but they're all very isolated, and quite a few are over the lava. Not looking forward to that.

By building the portal at Seks I was attempting to have a single portal we would use till the bug was fixed. Now you have to suffer through building your Nether end portals or walking.
Yeah but last night I exited a portal to find myself at your place. I don't understand how that's possible. Then Jawbone said he got Portaled to Creeper Isle. Somethings up. Maybe the sheer amount of portals we have built is introducing a new glitch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The Portal system is a mess right now.

And glowstone is still too rare, even after the update. I went hunting with both Jawbone and sek last night, and while I don't mind 16 glowstone, that seems a little paltry for 2 hours worth of work.
I had to take a ton of cobble with me, build a lava-level safety platform, harvest 13 blocks, avoid ghasts, and make the long climb back up to the portal. Agreed: lots of work with little results.

The Nether portal problems actually worked well for me last night, as I was harvesting glowstone and netherrack for my place back near the old corporate headquarters, and didn't want to make the long trek back from my remote locale.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 12:23 PM

Secret portal?
No just we got to an odd location and I haven't scouted the vicinity for more glow-stone.

Yeah but last night I exited a portal to find myself at your place. I don't understand how that's possible. Then Jawbone said he got Portaled to Creeper Isle. Somethings up. Maybe the sheer amount of portals we have built is introducing a new glitch.
I built a portal at my place and a connecting portal in the nether. I'm not sure what portal in the nether you entered to get to my castle. The one i built in the nether for my castle has a fairly distinct room and no obvious outside access. When I used jawbones portal to check the bug I ended up at creeper isle as well. So it's not the normal chunk boundary detection issue.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 12:33 PM

Do we need a monument row? It's would be a waste if I was to build Justice League Headquarters someplace no one goes. The delay in response time would be simple unacceptable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 01:43 PM

I built a portal at my place and a connecting portal in the nether. I'm not sure what portal in the nether you entered to get to my castle. The one i built in the nether for my castle has a fairly distinct room and no obvious outside access. When I used jawbones portal to check the bug I ended up at creeper isle as well. So it's not the normal chunk boundary detection issue.
You know, I may have forgotten about a loophole in the glitch. I used the resort portal, got taken to another portal, and then just rejumped into it, taking me to your place.

Do we need a monument row? It's would be a waste if I was to build Justice League Headquarters someplace no one goes. The delay in response time would be simple unacceptable.
It wouldn't hurt, lest it be relegated to obscurity, much like a certain pyramid who shall not be identified.

I'm being Dakar centric, but across the bridge (behind links) or perhaps in the nowhere land between me and one of Jawbone's numerous houses that mask his polygamy (and far enough behind andi's that it wouldn't interfere with her future plans).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 02:13 PM

That's it. I'm renaming my faraway outpost "Salt Lake City."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 02:15 PM

You need to name every outpost and we'll do our best to learn them.

Much like my place. I should make a fake blueprint detailing the levels. (At least most people acknowledge "The Hub")

Edit: BTW, the home I was referring to is the one with the tunnel you dug to join the main road.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 02:26 PM

I've got to fix the signs on all those places. I have four altogether, including the island.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 02:39 PM

Do they actually have individual names?

---

I just completed designs for a greenhouse I've been wanting to do. I'll be placing it in such a location that you'll be able to connect to it if you want, andi.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 02:56 PM

I'm being Dakar centric, but across the bridge (behind links) or perhaps in the nowhere land between me and one of Jawbone's numerous houses that mask his polygamy (and far enough behind andi's that it wouldn't interfere with her future plans).
Behind links is a cluster of broken terrain to pretty to flatten.
There's a really sweet valley to the north of were your road starts to tunnel. I'll head out there and gravel mark an estimate for a good place for the road to intersect. Then you all can chime in, though I don't see it as anyone's exclusive building territory.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 02:58 PM

Yeah, my plans for the area only include what can be seen (i.e., view distance) from the land I've started developing, so I imagine it'll be safe.

This strikes me as not your style, but after I develop the area some, I'd actual welcome you MC editing your Pyramid in nearby.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 03:27 PM

what can be seen (i.e., view distance)
Your view distance or mine? I'll go by mine. The LOS is blocked by a ridge anyway.

I'd actual welcome you MC editing your Pyramid in nearby
Like in the desert area to the south, near the open lava? I don't think it would look right in a grassy field. I probably won't. The track is functional so it's not that hard to get to. If the block selection every improves I'll add a Sphinx. And a falafel stand.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 03:39 PM

My view is set to normal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2011, 10:43 AM

Well, looks like my greenhouse is going to be kind of tiny (Only yields 36 wheat at capacity).
Then again, I rarely use wheat and still have like 6 stacks, so that may not be an issue (36 wheat = 12 loaves of bread anyway).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 10:51 AM

Whats the limiting factor? Run out of glass?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2011, 10:55 AM

It looked horrible when I ran it right up to the road.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 12:04 PM

Well, I've got strep throat, which means I spent half of yesterday evening sweating, gingerly swallowing hot tea, and sleeping, and the other half playing Minecraft. I can't go back to work for two days...

Maybe I'll finally finish my wall.

Oh, by the way, the locations are now named...

1. Fort Bone - the main campus (old corporate HQ)
2. Bonecatraz - the island fortress
3. The Pool House - the "retreat" with that tunnel that will connect to Dakar's road
4. Salt Lake City - the remote locale which contains the nether portal

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2011, 01:02 PM

BTW, what the corporate HQ had in height and emptiness, Fort Bone seems to replicate in sheer width and depth.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 01:08 PM

BTW, what the corporate HQ had in height and emptiness, Fort Bone seems to replicate in sheer width and depth.
It's going to be a lot better when completed. The inside is just grass at the moment.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2011, 01:31 PM

Blaze, I expect you to have a fully fleshed out outline on how to wire a telescoping piston elevator when 1.7 comes out.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 02:34 PM

Blaze, I expect you to have a fully fleshed out outline on how to wire a telescoping piston elevator when 1.7 comes out.
Sure thing as long as you don't want to go up more than 1m.
Seriously it won't be easy, you have to trigger them in opposite orders, with a delay. Now that you made me think about it, I have an idea that may work, it won't be fast though. 2m/s. Though it could work as a vertical item conveyor. It could be a tiny bit faster with a boat for a platform but that definitely wouldn't work with items. And the wiring will be crazy complex.

edit:
Just realized if you're willing to get smacked around by pistons then it's 5m/s. The wiring is 1/3 as complex and it should work for items.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jun 16, 2011 at 02:44 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2011, 02:39 PM

I jest. I'm not sure how the power works for the hidden door mechanism (pistons can't move extended pistons), and I can't imagine what might happen if you manage to wire a sequence for extending, let's say 4 pistons, and the depowering sequence isn't inverted.

(This horribly written out, but hopefully you grasp what I'm trying to say)

It's also semi-useless in that a 4 piston high elevator (buried so the top is) at sea-level would only raise me one floor. And I wonder how broad the base can be. Can I do a 3 x 3 and have the center work?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 03:12 PM

Just realized last night that Blaze fixed the water line that I couldn't repair from Bonecatraz to the mainland. Gracias.

Is there not any way to fix it naturally?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 03:59 PM

My first idea could probably be made 2x2 bit the wiring makes me cringe. My first though was to have a piston positioned upside down as the carrier so by extending it you could lock it into position and by contracting it release it to be pulled down. simpler to just use a regular block and build a another loop that pushes the block back down to be re-used and make water brakes for descending.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Is there not any way to fix it naturally?
You rebuild the blocks you ripped out after displacing the water, then 1 at a time, from the bottom up, take out a block. if it doesn't auto fill to calm water (2 adjacent water sources and solid block below) then place a water source there, if the bottom isn't solid place it on the side of the adjacent block.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 08:21 PM

The lodge rail has been truncated, powered rail added. Now the rail takes you from my original Obsidian House to my new project and back safely.

This is only temp for the moment, I'd like a T intersection with some sort of track selection in the future, but at least now I can go AFK at Blaze's grinder and head back and forth without a huge walk or passing through the nether.

I might play CoD tonight instead. There are a few key design elements I haven't figured out yet that need to be reconciled before moving forward.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2011, 11:34 AM

Greenhouse completed. Everyone is free to harvest from it so long as they replant seeds when they are done.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 11:58 AM

As Andi can confirm, I laugh at your puny little wheat farm.
Just wait till pistons, then its push button to harvest.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2011, 12:01 PM

As Andi can confirm, I laugh at your puny little wheat farm.
Just wait till pistons, then its push button to harvest.
Form vs. function again.

Wheat is useless, so congratulations if you can make a ton of it on some ugly farm.

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2011, 10:53 AM

Fun excursion last night into the caves beneath Sek's new place. We got lost, there was lava galore. Jawbone is a gold magnet. Dakar found a dungeon.

These pix are from the last few days/weeks. I was too busy falling off Sek's new tower or scurrying after everyone to take pix.

There was a glitch that showed an interesting cross-section of my house:

Dakar's wall lines up with the moon:

Building the altar was very interesting to the creepers:

Dawn rises over Dakaria:

On a recent tour of updates, I noticed this:
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2011, 11:24 AM

Nice catch on Dakar's wall. Dakar, was that intentional? Don'tchoo lie to us, boy...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 01:27 PM

Alright, well I need to put out a call for all the lapiz you guys can spare. Seeing as its rather rare, I'm willing to trade for it, even if it means giving up some gold or even diamond. I'm in need of two full stacks, so whatever anyone thinks they can afford to barter would be appreciated.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2011, 02:52 PM

Are you planning on coloring wool? 'cus I don't have 2 stacks of lapiz blocks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 03:06 PM

Yes, I'm coloring wool.

Speaking of which, I believe you mentioned some type of flower farm? Gonna need a handsome amount of roses, too.

Edit: God dammit, does that dying a sheep before your shear them trick work with lapiz?
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 20, 2011 at 03:25 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2011, 03:34 PM

Yes, it has for me. Any color sheep too.

I have some lapis I could trade, not a whole stack though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 03:42 PM

I deserve an award for how dumb I am. It'd be nice if that had occurred to me before I burned an entire stack this morning.

Andi, what would you like for a stack of 8? I can start dying sheep from that.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2011, 04:53 PM

If you go 30m north of Andi's temple there a door in the mountain hidden by the cacti. Inside is the flower farm were you can spam the grass with bone meal. There may even be enough left over in the chest.

Edit: God dammit, does that dying a sheep before your shear them trick work with lapiz?
Though you knew about that. I had it not work on a colored sheep once, but I'm hoarding color wool so i just color the white ones.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2011, 05:12 PM

Pictures galore, incoming...

sek's dome:

Dakar, taking a leak (old picture -- forgot to post):

sek splitting the loot from last night:

Getting to know each other:

A special lad:

Should I fight it?

I see what you're planning.

Tread lightly, pig.

Dakar's "come hither" phased me not.

This tree was...unique.

Work in progress:

Oh, yes I did (don't worry...single player):

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 05:28 PM

Though you knew about that. I had it not work on a colored sheep once, but I'm hoarding color wool so i just color the white ones.
I had read about it, but its not exactly something that comes to mind often.

Lapiz not being something converted into a dye (like flowers, cacti) also threw me off.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2011, 05:55 PM

I wish you could dye dogs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 06:13 PM

I can make dogs die

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2011, 07:29 PM

Don't you dare.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2011, 09:16 PM

I didn't realize you had a kennel, that was more of a general remark.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 02:37 AM

Finally figured out the intersection.

Made one from scratch in my courtyard, tore the old one down and re-wired it. Works great now.

The secret was two-fold: Most importantly, the powered rails were to far apart from eachother, now each powered rail 'brake point' connects directly to the bent track, before there was one section of track between them which caused the need for so many repeaters. Secondly, using a repeater to block a signal from one direction proved more useful than lengthening the signal.

In the end I eliminated about 30 redstone and 3 repeaters.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Made one from scratch in my courtyard
Usually allot easier to see the wiring without danger or all the no-wiring blocks.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
using a repeater to block a signal from one direction
The term you're looking for is diode. You can do the same thing with torches but it takes 2 or 3 blocks depending if you want the signal inverted. Repeaters are easily the most complex item in minecraft ATM.

I'm still gonna prototype it my way, with all the redstone hidden. I've been wanting to redo the station at the castle with a dispenser, but inspiration hasn't stuck.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 11:39 AM

Ahh yes, I read about diodes in the Wiki, but that article made my head hurt with all the technical jargon. I build things out of wood, electrical engineering is not my strong suit.

I'm really glad I stuck it out, since my knowledge in redstone wiring went from pretty much nothing to being able to wire a 3-way intersection, not bad. Also, being able to build something full scale in total peace and quiet was awesome. Never have I had this much room to spread my legs in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Dakar's wall lines up with the moon:
I'm pretty sure everything lines up with the moon.

Should I fight it?

It took me a while to put my finger on why this screenshot looked like such a nicer render than in-game and I finally realized – smooth lighting. God damn does that make the bridge look awesome (Also, feeling very good about the decision to remove the far side entrance entirely)

I see what you're planning.

No you don't. tBecause I have no idea what I'm planning. If I did, I'd have started it already.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Started a massive project that has emptied out my smooth stone stockpile. Looks like more mining/cooking is in store.

Busybodies:

Fatty checking out blaze's new place:

blaze's progress (with chunk error):

Hmmm...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 PM

I'm pretty sure everything lines up with the moon.
Well, that's just odd. Minecraft has no axis.

It took me a while to put my finger on why this screenshot looked like such a nicer render than in-game and I finally realized – smooth lighting. God damn does that make the bridge look awesome (Also, feeling very good about the decision to remove the far side entrance entirely)
I don't believe I've ever deactivated it. My MB seems to run fine with it on.

No you don't. tBecause I have no idea what I'm planning. If I did, I'd have started it already.
Actually, the pic reminds me...If it wouldn't take so long to make enough orange dye...

Forum Links
Forum Rules