Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme Base Station Quietly Upgraded to Gigabit Ethernet

Airport Extreme Base Station Quietly Upgraded to Gigabit Ethernet
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 05:37 PM

Towards the end of the Apple iMac press release, they mention that the Airport extreme base station now support Gigabit Ethernet. YAY!

This was the one thing keeping me from picking one of these bad boys up. Time for some 802.11n goodness!

The Tech Specs page for the Airport Extreme has been updated as such:

Apple - AirPort Extreme - Tech Specs
Linkinus is king.

post_break
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 07:26 PM

This pisses me off. Oh well Ill get over it.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 07:52 PM

Why. Did you already get one? :>
Linkinus is king.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:55 PM

Wow! FINALLY. I don't know when I'll have the funds but it is now a truly viable option. Kudos to Apple for listening to the moaning .... it was really bass ackwards 100bt most Apple computers have had 1000bt for a good while now.

DarwinX
Aug 7, 2007, 10:16 PM

I literally just bought one yesterday at the Apple Store. Any chance they'll exchange it? I took the plastic wrapping but otherwise haven't even removed it from the box. Any thoughts?

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
I literally just bought one yesterday at the Apple Store. Any chance they'll exchange it? I took the plastic wrapping but otherwise haven't even removed it from the box. Any thoughts?
They'll be more than happy. At the absolute most, they'll make you pay a $18 restocking fee, but Apple has a policy of allowing free upgrades 10 days from purchase if a better model comes out.

Wow! FINALLY. I don't know when I'll have the funds but it is now a truly viable option. Kudos to Apple for listening to the moaning .... it was really bass ackwards 100bt most Apple computers have had 1000bt for a good while now.
Yeah, even the Mac Mini has Gigabit.
Linkinus is king.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 02:08 AM

The Apple Stores don't have them yet. I called because I wanted to pick one up tonight.

(Am I correct in reading that it can handle G and N clients at their native speeds? Can this thing bridge to the existing G's I've deployed in the house?)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 08:32 AM

Yes and yes. This Apple guide explains in detail how you bridge to existing G networks (see pages 47-48).

DarwinX
Aug 8, 2007, 09:14 AM

Thanks brokenjago. To add another wrinkle, does anyone think Apple will send it back to them if I call? The reason I ask is I was at an Apple Store in the Twin Cities for a wedding and have since returned home. Sadly the drive would be a 9 hour drive round trip. I will call and try anyway, just wondering if anyone was going to comment on my chances. Keep ya posted. Thanks for the help!

dj_frankle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:09 AM

Well I just took delivery of a Netgear WNR854T after about a month of consideration, and the deciding factor was Gigabit, the Netgear has 5 gigabit ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN) and I didn't want to have to buy a 4 port giga-switch to add to the Extreme.

The Netgear arrived today just as I found out that the Extreme had been updated, not very happy at first but I must say that after setting it up the WNR854T is a very capable unit, my only issue is that EVERY time you change something it re-sets (about 60 sec) which means it takes a while to set-up your port forwarding.

I am gonna try to convince one of my mates to buy it, then I can do a close comparison between them. I might end up with the Extreme, will wait and see.
My Macs: MacBook White C2D, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 120GB 7200rpm HDD
PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz, 1.25GB, 80GB 7200rpm HDD (i bought it but the misses owns it!)
... waiting for new Mac Mini ... want 2.4GHz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm HDD ...

DarwinX
Aug 9, 2007, 03:36 PM

No luck with Apple over the phone to see if I could mail it back to them. Now I have to debate the 9 hour drive or not? Haha. Good times with Apple and their product updates :-)

post_break
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 06:01 PM

One thing I hate about this stupid networking device is that it reboots after EVERY single change. Hell you could tell it to flash the light on activity instead of always on and it has to reboot, a process that takes way too long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules