Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard ship date announced

Leopard ship date announced
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM

It's available for pre-order now on the Apple store. Ship date 'Oct 26th'

YES !

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 08:43 AM

The educational discount used to take it to $79, now it's $116.
That sucks.

I'm going to fetch it on the way home from work since I'm only saving $13 since there is a good chance UPS/FedEx won't leave it at my apartment and I'll have to wait until Saturday to get it.

Apple has a list of the 300 new features.

Gee4orce  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 08:46 AM

Congratulations - it took only 3 minutes before an American whinged about something !

'300+' new features in Leopard Apple are claiming. Here's the full list: Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - 300+ New Features. They mostly look genuine too.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
The educational discount used to take it to $79, now it's $116.
That sucks.

I'm going to fetch it on the way home from work since I'm only saving $13 since there is a good chance UPS/FedEx won't leave it at my apartment and I'll have to wait until Saturday to get it.
Yeah...this is a disturbing trend. Apple is slowly killing educational discounts it seems. There is zero discount for the new iPods. iWork and iLife get a very poor edu discount. And now Leopard!

On another note, this is the first time canadians get to enjoy an OS for 129 canadian dollars.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 08:56 AM

The Up to date program works for anyone who bought a Mac since October 1st, 2007, and it will cost $9.95. Servers also qualify for 10.5 Server.

Very nice that it goes back so far. Normally it's only the day they announce it, but that's usually two weeks, and they're cutting this annoucement a little close.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
The Up to date program works for anyone who bought a Mac since October 1st, 2007, and it will cost $9.95. Servers also qualify for 10.5 Server.

Very nice that it goes back so far. Normally it's only the day they announce it, but that's usually two weeks, and they're cutting this annoucement a little close.
I bought mine 23rd September !!

What are the chances...

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 09:18 AM

Great spot! Just ordered mine.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 16, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
Congratulations - it took only 3 minutes before an American..
I sense a chip on someone's shoulder. Maybe it's just a case of xenophobia.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 09:38 AM

Congratulations - it took only 3 minutes before an American whinged about something !
You [points at Gee4orce] speak [points at lips] good [smiles, clutches hands, brings to chest] good English [taps finger on mouth, taps heart, nods] for a foreigner [points at horizon, frowns, shakes fist].

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 09:41 AM

Kar98, that only works if you speak VERY. LOUDLY. AND. SLOWLY.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 09:57 AM

It's supposed to be in the same house, but really, who's going to enforce that?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 09:59 AM

This is from the bottom of the 10.5 page on the Apple Store. Emphasis is mine.

* The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jmakkar View Post
Can I but the 5 license disc and split it between 5 friends or do the installs really have to be for computers in the same household?
Unless you have four roommates and share a nice big house, I would guess not. The "Family Pack" means what it says--that the five licenses are for installations in the same household.

* The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.
(From The Apple Store (U.S.) - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard)

(BTW, why does Apple put this text in light grey on a white background at the very bottom of the page? It has a sneaky overtone to it; "It's on the web page, didn't you scroll down and squint hard enough to read it?")

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 10:23 AM

Will a single license be enforced a la registrations checks (like Quark)? I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. This means a 5-license pack...but I thought I'd ask.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 10:42 AM

Rad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 10:43 AM

OK, so I guess the real question: Is there a way the install disc can tell the computers are in the same household?
No. It seems like a fairly bad idea to have somebody install the OS without access to the disk, though.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 10:48 AM

'300+' new features in Leopard Apple are claiming. Here's the full list: Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - 300+ New Features. They mostly look genuine too.

If you can call things like your windows being casted as a reflection in the Dock a feature

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 11:03 AM

I'm ready to upgrade, but as a Java developer the only thing that would hold me back is which Java version is installed by Leopard by default and can I get the Java development goodies (ant, for one) for Leopard? I'm working with JDK 1.5 on Tiger right now.

Apple's Java page is still quite generic: Apple - Mac OS X - Java

Voch

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:13 AM

I have a question... Apple is selling "upgrade kits" as part of their up-to-date program. Is this a full-fledged version of Leopard, or just an upgrade for that particular machine (i.e. a new software restore DVD)?

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 11:15 AM

It's funny how resolution independence is not mentioned as a feature.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:29 AM

They would have access to the disk since I would use up one install then pass it on.
Yeah, and then you wouldn't have the disk.
Chuck
___

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
There are many things that are in 10.5 that aren't mentioned as a feature. Like sending txt messages to cellphones via iChat, or the "send as e-mail" button in Preview.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 AM

I'm gonna pick up mine at the B&M Apple Store, see if they're handing out any swag.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
That's because it isn't supposed to be enabled until 2008.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 16, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you can call things like your windows being casted as a reflection in the Dock a feature
Well that would fall under new and improved GUI. Which is a feature.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
There are many things that are in 10.5 that aren't mentioned as a feature. Like sending txt messages to cellphones via iChat, or the "send as e-mail" button in Preview.
The former is already possible under Tiger....

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 12:27 PM

Nevermind... besson3c beat me to it.
Vandelay Industries

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

Well, you're both wrong. You can send text messages to your contacts in 10.4, but you can not send SMS directly to /any/ cell phone.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
I bought mine 23rd September !!

What are the chances...
Pretty big, I’d say. There are always lots of people who get caught by this. I bought a MacBook in the beginning of September, and I bought a Mac Pro on 30 September, so I’m slightly less than thrilled at my own timing, too. I’m going to try calling Apple to see if they can give me the cheaper price (which will be about $25, though, not $9.95—at least it was last time) anyway.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Well, you're both wrong. You can send text messages to your contacts in 10.4, but you can not send SMS directly to /any/ cell phone.
Sorry, you're wrong.

Launch iChat.
Select File > New Chat with Person.
Enter + followed by their full phone number (e.g. +12345678912 for a US number)
Vandelay Industries

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 01:10 PM

Ack. Who looks there?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Sorry, you're wrong.

Launch iChat.
Select File > New Chat with Person.
Enter + followed by their full phone number (e.g. +12345678912 for a US number)
That's nuts I never knew you could do that!

Yeah...this is a disturbing trend. Apple is slowly killing educational discounts it seems. There is zero discount for the new iPods. iWork and iLife get a very poor edu discount. And now Leopard!
This does suck, is there any reason in particular why they might be doing this? I am a college student myself and appreciate these discounts.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 01:35 PM

The only thing Leopard added to iChat's SMS capability is a menu item for it and a dialog box that spells out what to enter.
Vandelay Industries

gostan
Oct 16, 2007, 03:45 PM

Is October 26th the ship date from the Apple Store, or the delivery date if you preorder??
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 03:46 PM

Delivery.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2007, 04:03 PM

Been a student lately? That $35 or so is a big deal for some of us. And with the family pack going up to $199, it's going to hurt a little bit more (we have three Macs at home). It's a real problem to upgrade when the new version costs about 50% more than all (to my knowledge) of the previous OS X updates have.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 04:24 PM

luckily for me my school is apple based, and apple sends any os upgrades here for free. i've gotten tiger and soon to be leopard for free.

i'll have to echo the small student discount sucks part though.

Alex

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
luckily for me my school is apple based, and apple sends any os upgrades here for free. i've gotten tiger and soon to be leopard for free.
Not quite, your school paid for AMP. So, depending on when your AMP was in effect, you may have gotten one of the releases for free.

Apple Maintenance Plan provides you with three years of "free" updates for the cost of one release. So, for example, your school buys 100 licenses of Tiger and AMP for those 100 licenses at the release of Tiger. If each license costs $50, then your school paid $5000 for Tiger and $5000 for AMP. Now you're entitled to get 100 licenses of each new OS X release for the next three years.

This was a great deal when Apple was on a yearly upgrade cycle. However, now they're on a much slower cycle. In the above example, the school isn't getting anything for free, since the next upgrade won't happen before their AMP expires in March 2008. They basically just prepaid for Leopard. Unless Apple is raising the cost of Leopard licenses to schools, they didn't save anything.
Vandelay Industries

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 05:06 PM

Been a student lately? That $35 or so is a big deal for some of us. And with the family pack going up to $199, it's going to hurt a little bit more (we have three Macs at home). It's a real problem to upgrade when the new version costs about 50% more than all (to my knowledge) of the previous OS X updates have.
The family pack has always been $199, even for students.
(Well, for Tiger it was)

However, I do agree that $35 is a lot for many people, especially students.
Linkinus is king.

HazMacFan
Oct 16, 2007, 05:08 PM

When Tiger came out, my iBook was less then four weeks old. I put in my serial number on the Apple site and it said I qualified. I put all my info in and Apple shipped me the upgrade DVD. Doesn't hurt to try.

It is an Upgrade DVD so it will look for a qualified OS installed before it lets you install the new OS.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 05:20 PM

I’m going to try calling Apple
Where exactly do you call? I've never had any luck trying to contact them.

I called Apple (408.974.2042) and asked for Customer Relations and lodged a formal complaint about the narrow window for the OS upgrade. The lady took my info, serial # and phone number and said they take complaints seriously. Wait and see. Call them and see what happens.
( Last edited by stoneage; Oct 16, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: called Apple)
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 16, 2007, 06:29 PM

For what it's worth, you can join the Student Developer Program for $99 and get a free copy of OS X and a significant discount on a single hardware purchase (I think it's in the neighborhood of 15+%...MBP starts at $1600 instead of $2000). But you definitely have to prove that you're a student.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

nice...i got a mac mini JUST BEFORE the cutoff date (oct 1), so apple is giving me $50 credit towards 10.5.
impressive (and my mini is an amazing machine...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Gee4orce  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I sense a chip on someone's shoulder. Maybe it's just a case of xenophobia.
[off-topic]
Actually no - I've just spotted a trend that American's tend to be very negative, jumping on any excuse to put something down and criticise. I blame your media and education system - that's not to say that ours is any better, but we have more cause to whinge because most things cost twice what you pay and we still haven't got the iphone !

What I also find worrying is that (here in the UK) anti-Americanism is very common and socially acceptable, even though it amounts to racism. It'd be unthinkable to say " I can't stand Italians, they are all fat! ", but change that to 'Americans' and nobody would bat an eyelid.

[/off-topic]

Gee4orce  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No - not a single feature. Neither to Apple, that's why they roll it into 'New Appearance' feature

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 17, 2007, 06:41 AM

Actually no - I've just spotted a trend that American's tend to be very negative, jumping on any excuse to put something down and criticise.
That is a human condition. Not an American one. As we see many non-Americans that are very negative about American, jumping on any excuse to put it down about something and criticize.
I blame your media and education system - that's not to say that ours is any better, but we have more cause to whinge because most things cost twice what you pay and we still haven't got the iphone !
Now who is complaining? You know I had to pay MORE for my Amplifier that was made in England than someone in England had to pay for it? I didn't complain about that. And I am American.
What I also find worrying is that (here in the UK) anti-Americanism is very common and socially acceptable, even though it amounts to racism. It'd be unthinkable to say " I can't stand Italians, they are all fat! ", but change that to 'Americans' and nobody would bat an eyelid.
Agreed. It happens in this very forum. From a a lot of people that call themselves tolerant. Or open minded. They don't know how vile, or hate-filled they come off. Because they live in a society that deems it ok. A big slippery slope.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 17, 2007, 06:43 AM

No - not a single feature. Neither to Apple, that's why they roll it into 'New Appearance' feature
Exactly

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 09:00 AM

[off-topic]
Actually no - I've just spotted a trend that American's tend to be very negative, jumping on any excuse to put something down and criticise. I blame your media and education system - that's not to say that ours is any better, but we have more cause to whinge because most things cost twice what you pay and we still haven't got the iphone !

[/off-topic]
Brits are ugly and have big teeth. And don't even get me started on that accent...

Your post is so ironic... "Americans complain about everything...but we Brits actually have a real reason to complain!!! NO IPHONE!!! Yeah, and I blame your media and education system because 1) I am a qualified sociologist and know what I'm talking about and 2) I have thoroughly researched said systems and am not just regergitating information i've heard elsewhere." Nice try bud.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 03:51 PM

soooo...

Back on Topic.

Do you think Leopard will be leaked before release day? Was Tiger?
Linkinus is king.

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 03:58 PM

Why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules