Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 70)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
?
---
Gaming News & Discussion: I and 999,999 other people have a PS4

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Gaming News & Discussion: I and 999,999 other people have a PS4
Yeah, I don't understand the problem

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 AM

My thumb already hurts from using L3. For all of two games. Ugh. I think I recall this from the PS2 days.
Addendum to this, and I hope Jawbone can corroborate: The stick placement isn't the largest contributing factor to my thumb pain. It's the button hardness. I think I read about this in a preview, but Sony's DS controllers have L3 and R3 buttons that are harder to click than their MS counterparts. Now, the idea isn't without merit as I accidentally melee'd maybe 3 times last night, which is staggeringly low since my being out of practice would indicate a lot of panicked clicking, so I assume the button is to thank for this.

The problem is where melee (R3) is used only sparingly in day-to-day gaming, Sprint (L3) is used continuously. So, you know, tradeoffs. I don't think the awkward placement of the joystick where I have to stretch my left thumb helps, as I lose leverage when clicking. People think asymmetrical makes no sense but I just demonstrated that as far as ease of clicking is concerned, asymmetrical is the name of the game.

The other unexpected consequence of moving the D-Pad was I didn't realize I use my right thumb on it with some frequency in BF4. In the game the d-pad is used to deploy equipment and seeing as you spend a lot of tie running, taking my left thumb off the joystick slows me down. So on the 360 once I was running in the right direction I had picked up a habit of reaching over with the right thumb and triggering equipment, such as the defibrillator. So from that perspective, the PS layout is objectively worse for me.

All that said, I prelaunch I spoke of possibly buying a 3rd party controller if I didn't like the layout. But after less than a days play my appraisal of the DS4 quality is so high that I can't fathom the tradeoff in quality by picking up one manufactured by someone else being worth it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 12:04 PM

I know its early but I think I an give a verdict on the PS4: Don't buy one unless you have a game you really want for it. And if you do have a game you're dying to play, if its multi consider that a launch system is going to have drastically smaller player populations to draw upon for matchmaking.

Otherwise, the UI is good enough coming from XBOX. The hardware case is ugly, but far better than the XBOX One and arguably the prettiest non-Nintendo console since the PS2. The controller is great, though personally falls short of excellent. Reliability remains TBD.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 12:22 PM

Live gameplay streaming on Xbox One delayed until 2014 | Ars Technica
Just days ahead of the Xbox One's Friday North American launch, Microsoft has announced that the ability to stream live Xbox One gameplay through gaming-focused site Twitch.tv will not be available until early 2014.

---

In a related note, twitch doesn't appear to save past broadcasts (if it should). Looking at the recording feature the system does not save recordings when you broadcast. Further, when you look at recordings you did make, I didn't see a way to edit or trim them. So while its a great feature between that and youtube support, there's still some ways to go.

P
Nov 19, 2013, 12:34 PM

One thing that scarred the winding down of this gen is the press' apparent contrarianism.

Don’t read too much into the PS4’s million day-one sales | Ars Technica
That article has absolutely exploded in the comments thread. An entertaining read - bring popcorn. The Ars folk defend themselves vigorously from accusations of payola, but seem hard pressed to explain why on Earth they printed a published something like that in the first place.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That article has absolutely exploded in the comments thread. An entertaining read - bring popcorn. The Ars folk defend themselves vigorously from accusations of payola, but seem hard pressed to explain why on Earth they printed a published something like that in the first place.
This is where the asshats in the gaming press will usually make a comment about how horrible or entitled readers are.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Lee_Ars/status/402520836609146882 and there we are!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2013, 01:11 PM

I see the Futureshop flyer has the PS4 on the front page and the second page, and the Xbox on page 4. Apparently there are supposed to be 20 un-reserved Xbox One per store. I wonder how many Xbox One's were preordered (reserved).

I guess I could stop by Friday and try and pick one up and CoD Ghosts.

Strange it doesn't at least come with one game. Where is BF4? There's no mention of it in the flyer.

If I don't get one this Friday I'm not too worried. I'm still playing SR4.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 01:20 PM

Gamasutra - A look back at video game sales across a console generation

Dat kinect longevity

The Wii as a "dead" console still craps on the PS3 software sales. Guess its that install base.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 02:53 PM

So, the Wii 'won' last generation. (marketshare, profit generation)

As much as we like to deride the system, I must say, overall, I liked it. Obviously the first party titles were stellar. (Super Mario Galaxy, Zeldas, Metroid prime corruption, etc). And i realized that i really enjoyed playing the original Super Mario bros, Sonic 1 & 2,etc.... on a TV via virtual console, after a very long time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So, the Wii 'won' last generation. (marketshare, profit generation)

As much as we like to deride the system, I must say, overall, I liked it. Obviously the first party titles were stellar. (Super Mario Galaxy, Zeldas, Metroid prime corruption, etc). And i realized that i really enjoyed playing the original Super Mario bros, Sonic 1 & 2,etc.... on a TV via virtual console, after a very long time.
This is the hilarious part: No one remembers the Wii when picking last gen's winner. It was a fad that didn't interest mainstream gamers (or did so in passing). And it's the same now: Xbox vs. PS4. But what about the Wii U?!

P
Nov 19, 2013, 04:42 PM

The Wii pretty obviously won last generation, but since the 360 did so well in the US, it gets attention it doesn't really deserve based on its WW share.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 04:50 PM

The Wii pretty obviously won last generation, but since the 360 did so well in the US, it gets attention it doesn't really deserve based on its WW share.
The Wii beat the piss out of the 360 in US as well. It depends on your POV, but I think the defining feature of this gen is online play, not motion control. It got to the point where people were complaining about multiplayer being shoehorned into games, devs were so desperate to address it. Sure, the kinect and PS Move debuted in direct response to Nintendo's motion control dominance but one flopped and the other is wildly derided (while likely powering the 360s second wind).

Since the Wii's online infrastructure is basically regarded as basic if not hopeless, and many of its titles which could have been online weren't it falls to the wayside in the court of gamer opinion. The bad news is, the Wi U is doing nothing to remedy the situation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2013, 05:02 PM

Addendum to this, and I hope Jawbone can corroborate: The stick placement isn't the largest contributing factor to my thumb pain. It's the button hardness. I think I read about this in a preview, but Sony's DS controllers have L3 and R3 buttons that are harder to click than their MS counterparts. Now, the idea isn't without merit as I accidentally melee'd maybe 3 times last night, which is staggeringly low since my being out of practice would indicate a lot of panicked clicking, so I assume the button is to thank for this.
I had the same problem with the 360 controller during CoD sessions, but the pain was in a slightly different part of the thumb. I can't really offer a solid opinion as I've only played two short matches of BF4 so far, but yeah, the thumb pain is real. It's the tendon just above the first knuckle.

All that said, I prelaunch I spoke of possibly buying a 3rd party controller if I didn't like the layout. But after less than a days play my appraisal of the DS4 quality is so high that I can't fathom the tradeoff in quality by picking up one manufactured by someone else being worth it.
Right on. There's no way a third-party would match it. I'm stunned that the d-pad is even further improved from the DS3 though.

On another note, the marquee PS+ free game, Resogun...amazing. It might not resonate with everyone, but I'm having a hard time mustering up the desire to play the disc-based games because I'm just trying to up my scores.

The PS4 managed to add difficulty identifiers on trophies, indicating rarity with labels such as "Common" and "Ultra Rare," updated in real time based on the PSN community. A pretty nifty little feature for trophy whores.

Lastly, the UI responsiveness is vastly improved. The speed at which I'm able to switch from game to PSN to trophies and so on is a world apart from the PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 05:25 PM

Well, today's penny arcade is completely relevant

I guess since Jawbone is now following me I'll stream some more tonight.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2013, 05:27 PM

You know you're getting old when...

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
...the thumb pain is real.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 05:28 PM

ergonomics, son

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 05:37 PM

I can't really offer a solid opinion as I've only played two short matches of BF4 so far, but yeah, the thumb pain is real. It's the tendon just above the first knuckle.
"You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs

Lastly, the UI responsiveness is vastly improved. The speed at which I'm able to switch from game to PSN to trophies and so on is a world apart from the PS3.
How much faster is it compared to the xbox dashboard?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The dashboard is horrific. There's no comparison.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2013, 10:43 PM

ergonomics, son

I played the PS2 for hours on end with no pain, that said, I still think offset joysticks are better - almost as good as K/M.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 11:40 PM

Stream should be online in a few minutes

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post

I played the PS2 for hours on end with no pain, that said, I still think offset joysticks are better - almost as good as K/M.
You might be the only person who likes offset around here, other than me.

My thumb face is numb from clicking.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 11:09 AM

Xbox One review: More than a game console, less than a living room revolution | Ars Technica

No matter how much you look at the hardware specs on paper, the proof of a system's power is still measured by the hard-to-quantify visual impact that sets the system apart from the previous generation of consoles. Thus far that generational impact seems as muted on the Xbox One as it is on the PS4.
The most noticeable thing about the new controller when you first hold it is the new textured edges along the top of the analog sticks. The cross-hatch pattern etched into the tough rubber provides a very nice grip for when your thumb ends up pushing the stick from the side, rather than from the top, and this design gives an immediate and unconscious indication of where your thumb is in relation to the center of the stick.
The one other big, continuing con in Microsoft's controller line is the proprietary port for headsets. Not only does this port lock out the dozens of standardized single-plug and USB gaming headsets on the market, but it also locks out any headsets designed for the Xbox 360. Those work on a different proprietary standard (Microsoft is reportedly working on an adapter, but it won't be ready until next year at the earliest). The headset that's included with the Xbox One retail package is functional enough (if a little bare bones), but it shouldn't be the only option for someone who already has a number of headsets available.
After about a week using these voice commands every chance I could, I found them to be adequate but far from perfect. As evidenced by the above video, the voice commands were accurate about 80 to 90 percent of the time, depending on the command and the clarity and location of the speaker. The one significant exception to this rate was the "Xbox On" voice function, which only registered about 25 to 50 percent of the time when the system was in Instant-On mode. The system didn't do much worse than normal at picking up commands through crosstalk, occasional stutters, and mumbling, yet sometimes it refused to acknowledge slow, deliberate commands.
The only issue, and it's a big one, is that these video apps tend to get a little jumpy or desynchronized from the audio if the Xbox One is especially busy running a game. This is most noticeable during loading screens or gameplay situations where a lot of stuff is going on at once. Usually, the video app would re-synch itself after a few seconds, but in some situations, like watching Hulu Plus, the video remained jumpy and behind the audio seemingly for good. I actually got better performance running Netflix through my Wii U and passing that through the Xbox One's HDMI input as a snapped "TV" input.
If you can get your clips to record, Microsoft's Upload Studio provides a nice set of simple editing tools to mess with up to five minutes of recorded gameplay from the system before uploading it to Xbox Live and/or your SkyDrive online storage. Trimming clips, adding voiceovers, video intros, or even split screen video commentary are all handled with a quick and easy-to-use interface. It's a shame that the system doesn't have Twitch broadcasting support as of yet, but this app helps ease the pain a little.
In short, buy an Xbox One if and when there are enough exclusive games to convince you it's worth the expense. At that point, the extra media features that the Xbox One brings to the table will be nice fringe benefits, and these options may be more stable and usable than they are right now. If you can live without those platform exclusives, though, and if you can do without fancy picture-in-picture and voice commands, look into saving some money on a PlayStation 4 instead.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 11:21 AM

I'm hearing the X1 takes over a minute to cold boot. PS4 is less than 30 seconds.

I can't say I'm surprised. My 360 takes forever to boot, and most people attribute it to hanging while it loads the ads. I agree because I don't think it was as slow 3 years ago. Shame that loading ads I don't look at is negatively impacting my experience.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 11:43 AM

"You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs
Ha...

I don't seem to be having quite the same level of trouble as Dakar, though. I see it more as a problem with the running mechanics of FPS titles than the controllers themselves. Again, I had worse pain on the 360 controller playing CoD.

The dashboard is horrific. There's no comparison.
Agreed. I never really cared for the dashboard, particularly when it was split up into two dashboards, one being the initial interface and then the other "classic" dashboard that operated settings and such. Does that make sense? I don't remember the actual names for all of this.

Regardless, the new PS4 UI is easily the fastest I've seen. I especially love how quickly you can zap to the dash, message someone, and begin playing. We're talking about reducing the time by roughly 70%.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post

I've always found controllers somewhat painful to use...

NES - Hard edges were not made for hours of gameplay.
SNES - Living in the era without handles made every controller difficult to hold.
Genesis - Horrible D-pad.
PS/PS2/PS3 - Handles not long enough or shaped with the contour of your hands.
XBox - Ginormous controllers built for giants. Second batch was better, with some strange stretching for the black/white buttons.
360 - Something about the curvature of the handles caused my pinkies to go numb after 20-30 minutes. Also, the aforementioned thumb problem.
Wii U - The gamepad is tough to hold. The XYAB buttons are placed underneath the joystick, which defies all rational thought. There's no place for your hands to rest naturally. The pro controller is a lot better, and feels a little bit like the 360, but considering how many games force the first-player to use the gamepad, who cares?

I'm possibly going to get flack for saying this, but I loved the ergonomics of the N64 and GameCube controllers. They felt incredibly comfortable to hold. The analog sticks were locked into that weird Nintendo octagonal pattern, and the GCN had the strangely-placed Z-button, but I never felt like my hands were being stretched with either controller.

The PS4 controller doesn't affect my pinkies, and I haven't really experienced too much pain in the thumbs. I accidentally fell asleep too early last night, but I should get some extensive time in with BF4 tonight to see how it feels after extended play.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 11:46 AM

I'm hearing the X1 takes over a minute to cold boot. PS4 is less than 30 seconds.
The BMW X1? Did you mean Xbone?

On a last gen note, I was listening to the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack, and it definitely brought back some fond memories of playing the Wii. It's hard for me to imagine the last generation without the Wii having a very prominent place. The WiiU, however, is at the other end of the spectrum.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 11:46 AM

I can't say I'm surprised. My 360 takes forever to boot, and most people attribute it to hanging while it loads the ads. I agree because I don't think it was as slow 3 years ago. Shame that loading ads I don't look at is negatively impacting my experience.
Everything seems so snappy with the PS4. Also, Joystiq ran a breakdown of the differences between the standard hard drive, an SSD, and a hybrid. The results are predictable.

The ads are one of my biggest complaints with the XBox UI.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 11:47 AM

On a last gen note, I was listening to the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack, and it definitely brought back some fond memories of playing the Wii. It's hard for me to imagine the last generation without the Wii having a very prominent place. The WiiU, however, is at the other end of the spectrum.
Ooo...where did you get the soundtrack?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 11:49 AM

I'm possibly going to get flack for saying this, but I loved the ergonomics of the N64 and GameCube controllers. They felt incredibly comfortable to hold. The analog sticks were locked into that weird Nintendo octagonal pattern, and the GCN had the strangely-placed Z-button, but I never felt like my hands were being stretched with either controller.
The GCN controller was the best IMHO. Each button was unique in almost every way (color, size, etc). And the controller, at least for me, was just the right size.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 11:55 AM

Ooo...where did you get the soundtrack?

Super Mario Galaxy Soundtrack(CD) Amazon

I really enjoy listening to it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 11:55 AM

The Wavebird was the first ergonomic homerun. Was a little heavy, but ok. The button layout was a disaster, though.

P
Nov 20, 2013, 12:53 PM

NES MAX. All modern controllers are the NES MAX but with more buttons and joysticks and heavier.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 01:16 PM

You all are trippin'.

edit:
Holy shit, I gotta get this oven mitt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 01:35 PM

You all are trippin'.
Isn't the modern power glove kinect?

This is too absurd not to post. PS4 quickly becoming God's console of choice.
Does the Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 patch fix everything? • Articles • Eurogamer.net
One of the main issues surrounding the PS4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is the somewhat erratic frame-rate reported by reviewers. On playing the unpatched version of the PS4 code for the first time, the difference in smoothness between the mostly solid 60fps of the 360 game and the more inconsistent PS4 release is quite obvious - in many scenes we see the appearance of judder and what appears to be slowdown on the PS4, perhaps surprisingly in areas where performance isn't impacted upon in either the PS3 or 360 versions.

Taking the affected clips and running them through our performance analysis tools, we expected the results to show clear frame-rate drops and small bouts of tearing, but surprisingly this wasn't the case at all, with the results showing us a largely locked 60FPS bar one or two minor dips and a solitary torn frame. Furthermore, when seeking through the footage in performance-affected areas we were confronted with unique frames on a consistent basis, thus indicating a 60fps update that we just didn't feel when playing the game.

So just what is going on? Well, a close look at our captures reveals that Call of Duty: Ghosts actually runs at higher frame-rates than 60fps on a fairly frequent basis, despite the video output being limited to 60Hz. In scenes where we experienced judder and perceived frame-rate loss, what we are actually seeing is the appearance of skipped and incomplete frames - an effect that is arguably far more noticeable than a few prolonged drops down to 50fps or so seen the 360 version of the game.
PS4 - It's too good for CoD: Ghosts

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 02:50 PM

The GCN controller was the best IMHO. Each button was unique in almost every way (color, size, etc). And the controller, at least for me, was just the right size.
The triggers weren't perfect in application, but the com fort level was absolutely spot on.

Super Mario Galaxy Soundtrack(CD) Amazon

I really enjoy listening to it.
Thanks much! Added to my wish list.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 02:51 PM

NES MAX. All modern controllers are the NES MAX but with more buttons and joysticks and heavier.
I never used one, unfortunately.

This is too absurd not to post. PS4 quickly becoming God's console of choice.
Does the Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 patch fix everything? • Articles • Eurogamer.net

PS4 - It's too good for CoD: Ghosts
That's bizarre. I've never heard of such.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 02:53 PM

That's bizarre. I've never heard of such.
Honestly IW is so bad I figure thats why this happened, not that PS4 is so awesome.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 02:54 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 04:05 PM

Jawbone, do you officially have a PS4? I saw you have BF4 in my battlelog. We could commiserate together. Maybe.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 05:59 PM

Jawbone, do you officially have a PS4? I saw you have BF4 in my battlelog. We could commiserate together. Maybe.
Oh, yes indeed. I've been up and running since late Monday evening. I'll be on tonight, but it'll be late. I won't return home from work until 9:00-ish, CST.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 06:00 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that CoD: Ghosts is simply optimized like shit on both systems.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2013, 06:07 PM

I haven't tried Battlefield 4, yet online. I played the first level of the campaign and liked the feel of it, and will be going back to it for sure. I've just been stuck on Assassins Creed IV, the last few days. Much better game than I expected.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 06:20 PM

Oh, yes indeed. I've been up and running since late Monday evening. I'll be on tonight, but it'll be late. I won't return home from work until 9:00-ish, CST.
I'll keep an eye out for you. Maybe Crosbie can watch us dual fail.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that CoD: Ghosts is simply optimized like shit on both systems.
Very much the case.

I was thinking everyone was worried about the hardware at release but in the early going it looks like the software is the real issue (BF4, NBA Live, NFS Rivals, etc.)

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I haven't tried Battlefield 4, yet online. I played the first level of the campaign and liked the feel of it, and will be going back to it for sure. I've just been stuck on Assassins Creed IV, the last few days. Much better game than I expected.
What's you PSN?

Be warned campaign corruptions are fairly regular so I wouldn't put too much time into it until they resolve whatever the hell their issues are.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2013, 09:32 PM

PSN: Anarchy3

So far so good. I'm doing so much side stuff I need to pay attention to the missions to move the story ahead. lol

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 10:06 PM

Ah, PSN. 30 minutes for a 300 MB update.

Edit: Up to 40. Should have planned ahead, I guess

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 10:14 PM

Troll science

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2013, 04:29 AM

I assume that pic is referring to this video?

The Xbox One Plugged Into Itself is Art - YouTube

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 11:04 AM

...no

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2013, 11:37 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 11:41 AM

Ryse seems to be getting poor to middling reviews.

Forum Links
Forum Rules