Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Oh what a mess....

Oh what a mess....
zoobecca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 06:59 PM

I purchased my Macbook Pro in June, installed Boot Camp and then Win XP. I needed the Mac but also wanted to try gaming on the laptop. I play Everquest II with my grown sons.

Long story short: Everything was fine until a couple of days after Christmas. The Windows portion bombed on me. It would not boot so I tried booting from the disk with no result. I decided to just reinstall Windows but had to reformat that partition first. Since perusing the forums I have realized just how bad of an idea that is. There was nothing wrong with the Mac partion until I accidentally reformated it.

I needed the laptop for gaming over the holidays with the kids so I put Win XP back on one of the partitions. The graphics are awful and I need my Mac back. I would like to reformat the entire drive, intall OS X, Boot Camp, Win XP, and EverQuest.

When I put in the OS X disk it only wants to format the one partion. I guess that's all it sees? I went ahead and tried to format that part of the partion but it ends up failing in the end.

Now when I turn on my laptop I get a black screen telling me to insert a boot disk and hit any key.

I am now in the process of of trying to reformat with the Win cd so I can delete all partions. I hope then that I will be able to install Mac OS X on the whole system.

Does anyone have any suggestions or clues for me?

Zoo

zoobecca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 09:49 PM

Quick update. With the OS X disk in I was able to access disk utility and remove the partition. That was what was holding me up. I have now completed installation of OS X, burned all the drivers, and am now in the process of installing Win XP. The next step will be to reinstall EverQuest II and then wait 7 - 8 hours (and that's broadband DSL) for all the updates. I will be able to keep the weekend play day with my kids if all goes well.

Zoo

Forum Links
Forum Rules