Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Will george w bush pardon libby?

View Poll Results: Will george w bush pardon libby?
Poll Options:
yes 19 votes (76.00%)
no 6 votes (24.00%)
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
Will george w bush pardon libby?
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 10:15 PM

Will george w bush pardon libby?

Atomic Rooster
Mar 7, 2007, 10:27 PM

This says it for me...

Why Bush Will Pardon Libby If He Has To: Because Otherwise George and Dick Would Face Impeachment and Jail Time.

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/editorials/127

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
This says it for me...

Why Bush Will Pardon Libby If He Has To: Because Otherwise George and Dick Would Face Impeachment and Jail Time.

Why Bush Will Pardon Libby If He Has To: Because Otherwise George and Dick Would Face Impeachment and Jail Time | BuzzFlash
Here on Earth, we know that gossiping about your political enemies isn't an impeachable or indictable offense.

Bush will and should pardon him. Libby should no more have been indicted then Clinton should of...ah...wait, that's right - Clinton never was indicted or found guilty of doing precisely the same thing LIbby has and he was clearly guilty of. Okay..another reason to pardon him!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 11:00 PM

Libby is a convicted felon, but he he'll get pardoned. He broke the law, and he has the right to appeal. Some of the jurors had the sense there was nothing but a bunch of liars in the court room, and wondered where Cheney and Rove fit into this shameful exposure of America's dirty laundry.

Interesting read from an actual juror. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/docs/libby/

Of course, Clinton always has to be brought into this, which might not be a bad thing. I can use a similar tactic if I ever get stopped for speeding. I could say to the officer, "People speed all day long, and you know that, but they don't all get tickets, so why should I?"

Atomic Rooster
Mar 7, 2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Here on Earth, we know that gossiping about your political enemies isn't an impeachable or indictable offense.

Bush will and should pardon him. Libby should no more have been indicted then Clinton should of...ah...wait, that's right - Clinton never was indicted or found guilty of doing precisely the same thing LIbby has and he was clearly guilty of. Okay..another reason to pardon him!
Clinton lied about a blowjob. Get over it.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 12:13 AM

I got over it.

At worse, Libby lied about gossiping. Not even something that requires "consent". The left never got over it apparently.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Libby is a convicted felon, but he he'll get pardoned. He broke the law, and he has the right to appeal. Some of the jurors had the sense there was nothing but a bunch of liars in the court room, and wondered where Cheney and Rove fit into this shameful exposure of America's dirty laundry.
Yeah..why wasn't Plame or Wilson charged with anything? It was their lies that started the whole thing.

Of course, Clinton always has to be brought into this, which might not be a bad thing. I can use a similar tactic if I ever get stopped for speeding. I could say to the officer, "People speed all day long, and you know that, but they don't all get tickets, so why should I?"
People don't commit perjury every day, and if they do concerning something material to a crime, they should ALL be indicted. That would include Clinton too, if it also includes Libby.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:19 AM

I got over it.

At worse, Libby lied about gossiping. Not even something that requires "consent". The left never got over it apparently.
Let's get the real assholes. Libby is a scapegoat.

Didn't you read all the links that were posted?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

So when libby gets pardoned, it will be your turn to "get over it"

Atomic Rooster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
So when libby gets pardoned, it will be your turn to "get over it"
Duh...read the post above yours.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 02:11 AM

I don't think Libby should go to prison, not because I like Republicans, but because it will just be a total waste. He should just be banned from government or working with the government. He should live a private life working a private job where he can't hurt the country and I would be totally fine with that.

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 02:26 AM

macint., then what's to stop the next guy from lying, too?
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
macint., then what's to stop the next guy from lying, too?
Ending of a career. Ostracism by the media, possibly by your family/friends.

Why should lying put you in prison??

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 08:20 AM

Let's get the real assholes. Libby is a scapegoat.
A scapegoat for WHAT? No crime was committed.

Libby was a political pawn. The political anti-war left (respresented by Fitzgerald) couldn't find anything real to nail anyone on, so they simply made stuff up hoping someone would screw up and something would stick. This was a classic fishing expedition.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 08:38 AM

The jurors disagreed, and that's what the appeals process is for. As of this moment, Libby is a convicted felon, period. There's also a chance that he may not be pardoned. According to this article, Bush issues very few pardons, and has stated very recently that there is a process to go through that he follows.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17507199/site/newsweek/

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
The jurors disagreed, and that's what the appeals process is for.
The jurors where given instructions by the prosecutor. They followed the instructions. It isn't their fault if they are being given instructions by a guy who is on a political vendetta. Apparently, even the jurors don't think that Libby should be charged with anything (but that doesn't keep them from following the directions they were given)

DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2007�

As of this moment, Libby is a convicted felon, period.
True, but based on that same standard, Bill Clinton should be one as well. The fact that he isn't shows that there's a hugely unfair double standard at work here. Double standards do not equal "justice".

Trust me. Libby will get a pardon, and the whole thing will be viewed in the passing of time as an overreach by Democrats wanting to get the Bush administration on SOMETHING after years of seeing their guys get caught with their hands in the cookie jars time and time again.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Mar 8, 2007, 12:58 PM

As for the pardon… I think he should. No telling what he will do, though.

But, since somebody brought up Clinton and everyone wants to "armchair attorney" they might want to actually get educated on the Jones v. Clinton beyond the pop-culture version about getting one off in the Oval Office.

If Libby was convicted, so should have Clinton.

Personally, I find getting someone else to lie for you much worse than lying for yourself. Regardless of political affiliation.
( Last edited by :dragonflypro:; Mar 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo)

ROFF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 02:56 PM

I got over it.

As a CIA agent with foreign postings, any foreign national that she came into contact with could be subject to suspicion of having been turned into a spy for the CIA. Now, I don't know if she "turned" any foreign nationals (this would be a secret). But it is possible. If any of these have "disappeared" that would also be a secret. So the implication that this was a lie about "gossiping" is whistling in the dark.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
As a CIA agent with foreign postings, any foreign national that she came into contact with could be subject to suspicion of having been turned into a spy for the CIA. Now, I don't know if she "turned" any foreign nationals (this would be a secret). But it is possible. If any of these have "disappeared" that would also be a secret. So the implication that this was a lie about "gossiping" is whistling in the dark.
Not at all The law simply doesn't cover her. If it did, someone would have been charged. It's not rocket science.

Forum Links
Forum Rules