Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Collectiing Info for Switchers Sticky

Collectiing Info for Switchers Sticky
cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 09:36 AM

I am working on a sticky for those switching from Windows to Mac and possible switchers considering buying a mac. Here's what I have so far: (Please note that images and links don't show up. Will post PDF file on website later today)
Hi. We welcome new users to MacNN forums. This sticky is to give easy access to tips for those who are switching from the Windows Operating System to Mac OS X.

This sticky will also include tips for buying your first mac if you are thinking about switching but haven't yet. I am hoping that the moderators will keep this thread open so new members can ask general questions and experienced mac users can give helpful hints and the like.

Tips for changing from Windows to Mac OS X:

1. The dock is one of the most important elements of your mac. It is the bar on the bottom, left, or right of the screen (depending on what your preference settings are). The dock gives you easy access to your frequently used applications and documents. You can put just about anything into the dock. This also replaces the tabs at the bottom of the screen that are found in Windows operating systems. To switch between applications, just click on the icon for the application that you want to switch to.

Here, we are in Safari.

Just move your cursor to your dock. Position the cursor on the application that you want to switch to. In this case, Firefox.
BAM! With a click, we are viewing MacNN Forums in Firefox.
Now, just move your cursor away from the dock, and you're ready to continue with what you are doing!

3. Running applications for the windows platform is fairly simple. Many Windows applications (like Microsoft Office) exist for the mac as well. There are also several
applications available to run a windows operating system on your mac. These include Parallels Desktop, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, Boot Camp, and VMWare Fusion. You can find more detailed discussions about this at our Alternative Operating Systems Forum.

4. The System Preference application is a manager for all of your settings. From here, you can change your desktop, screensaver, networking settings, and lots of other things!

5. There are a couple of ways of installing applications. One is to download them from the internet. The other is to install them from a CD. There is however, little difference in the process. Usually, when you download an application, it will create either a .dmg or .zip file. Just open and unarchive the file. Now, you will be given a Software Licensing Agreement. Read it and then click the "Agree" button when you are finished. With many web applications, you will get a window with 2 icons. Just drag the top icon into the one below to install the program. Then you're done. Some applications have a quick installer (like many apple applications) but it's very simple to follow. The same principles apply when installing from a CD.

If you have not decided to switch to mac or not, here are some tips about how to decide what mac to buy:

1. Do you want the flexibility of a laptop? Or will a desktop be OK?
2. Do you need an intel mac? Or will a slower processor suite your needs.
3. What operating system do you want? There are several versions of OS X. You can check out our OS X forum for more information.

For information on Mac Laptops, click here.
There are a couple of desktop forums:
Mac Pro and Power Mac

iMac, eMac, and Mac Mini

Also, our Marketplace section, is a great place to buy macs and accessories. Note however, that members with a post count under 100 will not be able to post here.
Another resource for buying macs is directly from the manufacturer, Apple.
For lower prices on macs, check out eBay.
If you have anything to add, please post here.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

cwk: the problem is that people generally don't read instructional text unless there is some sort of motivation to do so. Off the bat we are already "expecting" that the users will read the rules, which I would be willing to bet doesn't happen very often. Chances are that people will just ignore this sticky and ask their switcher questions anyway. We see this all the time with the dozens of threads that are repeat questions of threads that already exist. If somebody couldn't be bothered to try the search tool, I doubt they would be willing to wade through a giant sticky like this looking for the answer they are looking for.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 07:37 PM

This is meant as an easily accessible switcher's guide. OreoCookie thinks it's a good idea, and he suggested I do this.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2009, 07:51 PM

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Provide a link to that and call it a day. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 08:12 PM

I think a troubleshooting FAQ based on the problems and solutions found on the forums would be a good idea to assemble, if someone were so inclined to do so.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Off the bat we are already "expecting" ...
No, we are not.

We are expectiing.

-t

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 10:26 PM

That whole post contradicts itself.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Forum Links
Forum Rules