Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 6C115 on Beige G3

6C115 on Beige G3
jdbon
Aug 8, 2002, 08:24 PM

I have installed Jaguar 6C115 on my iBook however I am unable to install it on my Beige G3. I have tried starting up with c pressed down, from the startup disk system preference panel, and dowble clicking the install app from 10.1. When I startup with c pressed it starts up and then restarts and then hangs without anything displayed on the screen. Suggestions?

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Aug 8, 2002, 08:30 PM

Hey, I am having the exact same problem!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 09:57 PM

Dunno; it installed without issue on my AIO G3. I'd suspect a bad burn. Wait for the store-bought CDs, I guess.

(By the way...forum guidelines explicitly state that this is not the place for pirated Jaguar troubleshooting. I personally don't care, but don't be surprised if the mods close this thread.)
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Aug 8, 2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Dunno; it installed without issue on my AIO G3. I'd suspect a bad burn. Wait for the store-bought CDs, I guess.

(By the way...forum guidelines explicitly state that this is not the place for pirated Jaguar troubleshooting. I personally don't care, but don't be surprised if the mods close this thread.)
I have a legit ADC build. Your computer and ours are very different.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:

I have a legit ADC build. Your computer and ours are very different.
LRB, I'm an ADC member (Select) and I've got the dmg files - but I haven't been able to successfully burn them using Finder and a QUE Firewire burner (I followed the ADC instructions to a tee). I contacted support at ADC and they basically told me tough luck and they will not send me CDs. Not a big deal as Jag will be out in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering what type of burner did you use, and did you have any issues burning the .dmg files?

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Aug 8, 2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

LRB, I'm an ADC member (Select) and I've got the dmg files - but I haven't been able to successfully burn them using Finder and a QUE Firewire burner (I followed the ADC instructions to a tee). I contacted support at ADC and they basically told me tough luck and they will not send me CDs. Not a big deal as Jag will be out in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering what type of burner did you use, and did you have any issues burning the .dmg files?
Use disk copy man. Also, I hear that if you mount the images before you burn them you can mess em up.

I also have a Que drive. The burn works fine and 10.2 installs on the iBook and Cube no problem.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 11:47 PM

hasn't x always been rather finicky with the beige g3's?

non-stock hardware like video cards and different internal cd drives. also somehing about the cd being the master or slave drive but i don't recall the exact detail since i got rid of 'ol beige last summer.

some people that had troubles got it working by returning the hardware to factory state, installing, then adding the different hardware in again. ymmv.\of course.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Aug 8, 2002, 11:49 PM

well mine is all as is from the day I got it from Apple and 10.1 installs and runs fine on it.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2002, 12:02 AM

well mine is all as is from the day I got it from Apple and 10.1 installs and runs fine on it.
hmm....next theory then.....anything on the scsi bus? if so, disconnect.

other than that all i can suggest is waiting for the retail cd and seeing if that makes a difference. or, i wonder if one of those utils for installing on "unsupported" machines might help (i iknow the beige is a supported machine but it might be worth a try)...

ah - just looked at version tracker and there is a new version of http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...1168&db=macosx XpostFacto and it mentions help in installing on Beige G3's.....

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Aug 9, 2002, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
[B]

hmm....next theory then.....anything on the scsi bus? if so, disconnect.

other than that all i can suggest is waiting for the retail cd and seeing if that makes a difference. or, i wonder if one of those utils for installing on "unsupported" machines might help (i iknow the beige is a supported machine but it might be worth a try)...
No nothing on SCSI. It is strange, the computer seems to go to sleep half way though the install.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 10:23 AM

Use disk copy man. Also, I hear that if you mount the images before you burn them you can mess em up.

I also have a Que drive. The burn works fine and 10.2 installs on the iBook and Cube no problem.
I meant to say I used DiskCopy. I've tried several times and DiskCopy quits burning after a minute or so, with an "unknown error". Anyone need some really shiny beer coasters?

beb
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 11:06 AM

6C115 is Final Candiate 1 for 10.2.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 12:47 PM

I've got it on a beige G3, no problems at all with the install. Working great so far, seems noticably better than 10.1.5

beb - what exactly is your point?

beb
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 01:33 PM

My point is that it does not take three weeks to get cds printed and pressed. So no, I do not believe that 6C115 is the shipping golden master. It is a final candidate for the shipping golden master. -Fine, I'm wrong then.

The manuals & boxes are probably already printed and ready to go. Duh.

Assuming that there are at least a million pre-orders for 10.2, getting multiple machines to insert a million CD-ROMs into already finished boxes with manuals then bubble wrapping it does not take three weeks.

I'd assume that the actual GM will be ready on Monday the 12th and the production run of at least a million + or - CD-ROMs will commence.

Steve could also come out and say on Tuesday when he supposedly intros newer G4s that these things are running 10.2 which went gold master yesterday. I'm not saying that it is likely, but it is possible.

reactor
Aug 9, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

I meant to say I used DiskCopy. I've tried several times and DiskCopy quits burning after a minute or so, with an "unknown error". Anyone need some really shiny beer coasters?
I had the same problems myself, but with Disk Copy 6.5b11 (supplied with the 5G48 build), converting it to a master CD-R and then burning it with Toast solved all issues.
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by reactor:

I had the same problems myself, but with Disk Copy 6.5b11 (supplied with the 5G48 build), converting it to a master CD-R and then burning it with Toast solved all issues.
Hmm... I think I've still got 5G48 still around somehwere. I'll give this a try - thanks for the suggestion.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 05:16 PM

beb - in case you hadn't noticed, but nobody on this thread was claiming that 115 was or wasn't the GM.

There are plenty of threads arguing this, take it to someone who cares. Otherwise, if you have advice for Beige G3 users, be our guest.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Aug 9, 2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by noisefloor:
I've got it on a beige G3, no problems at all with the install. Working great so far, seems noticably better than 10.1.5

beb - what exactly is your point?
What model?

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 05:33 PM

I'm running a G3/333 (overclocked), scsi burner and 3 internal drives, usb/firewire card, Epson printer, HP scanner (unsupported in X, runs in classic but I haven't checked it with 10.2). Also have a 3dfx voodoo 3 card sitting in the box with no monitor connected and a pro audio card that only runs under 9.

10.2 installed with no problems, running well so far.

jdbon  (op)
Aug 11, 2002, 05:50 PM

Well after further investigation, the problem is not limited to 6C115 but all versions of OSX. 0S9 boots fine from the CD but when try to startup a OSX disk it boots into open firmware (classic happy mac) then reboots and the screen goes blank.I've checked to see the CD drive is master and zapped the pram. I've removed the motherboard battery and reset the cuda button. OS 10.1 boots from the internal HD but OSX will not boot from cd. Any suggestions?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by jdbon:
Well after further investigation, the problem is not limited to 6C115 but all versions of OSX. 0S9 boots fine from the CD but when try to startup a OSX disk it boots into open firmware (classic happy mac) then reboots and the screen goes blank.I've checked to see the CD drive is master and zapped the pram. I've removed the motherboard battery and reset the cuda button. OS 10.1 boots from the internal HD but OSX will not boot from cd. Any suggestions?
Do you have password protection on your open firmware? It seems that this can cause problems (it did on my TiBook).

absmiths
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 05:59 PM

This is my experience with OS X installs on Beiege G3:

1 - I can't ever get the thing to boot from an OS X CD - either by selecting it from the preference pane or by holding 'C'.

2 - If I start the installer and it reboots the machine, it will start from the CD and installation commences without incident.

So, my solution was to disregard the startup from the CD stuff and let the installer do it. BTW, OS 9 did this to me as well.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 07:43 PM

Hey guys, I had the same problem trying to install Jag. however I destroyed my copy of 10.1 while trying to install it. It was stuck in the open firmware, the screen white with a horizontal bar on the upper left corner of the screen. The cd would not start spinning.

So I restarted pressing command-option OF
I was in the Firmware. Then I did something like load cd. The cd started spinning but could not boot from it using boot cd afterward (some error...)

anyway. Set the boot disk to the cd in os 9, shut down, then open your computer.

don't try to restart, it won't work, U have to start it from cold. And that did the job.

enjoy guys!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Bouba:
Set the boot disk to the cd in os 9, shut down, then open your computer.

don't try to restart, it won't work, U have to start it from cold. And that did the job.

enjoy guys!
Tried this, hoping it would work but alas, I still get an error when the CD tries to boot. I give up!

troy_goodson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 12:43 AM

I'm having a problem very similar to the original post in this thread.

I have a rev. C (aka rev 3?) Beige G3 266 MHz that is the stock Apple configuration except:
* added a 40 GB Maxtor hard drive
* disconnected the Zip drive
* added a PCI USB card
* added a PCI Firewire card
* added 256 MB memory

The OS X 10.2, Jaguar, 6C115 CD will simply not boot. I've tried selecting the startup disk from OS 9.2.2 and from OS X 10.1.5; I've also tried running the installation application on the CD from OS 9.2.2 and from OS X 10.1.5. There are only two outcomes: the machine doesn't boot at all (need to zap PRAM and then it comes back) or it boots into OS 9.2.2.

I filed a bug report at <http://bugreport.apple.com/> and I suggest everyone else with this problem do the same.

udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 03:35 AM

No nothing on SCSI. It is strange, the computer seems to go to sleep half way though the install.
Exact thing is happenning to me on my Beige G3. I have disconnected everything and am about to remove some of the RAM sticks to see if they are the problem.

After 10 installs with it going to sleep, now it just freezes with 7 minutes left. Jaguar Server and Client have this problem. I have removed all USB, Ethernet and Firewire cards.

It's about to drive me mad. Any suggestions?

-uD

udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 05:31 AM

Figured it out - BAD RAM STICK.

10.1 didn't seem to mind it that much. But when I removed it, the 10.2 install went along just fine.

Anyone with similar problems should try this fix.

-uD

Forum Links
Forum Rules