Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Wow!

Wow! (Page 6)
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
if they're both alike, it wouldn't matter what order they were in. the TRUTH is that XTender and SS do the exact same thing, so it doesn't matter what was first. and what are you saying XTender isn't at par with SS? can it not swap themes with out physically replacing files? can it not change text color? the only thing SS has over XTender is theme support.
Well, noone knows for sure about things like app skins. Which IMO is one of SS's best features.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Well, noone knows for sure about things like app skins. Which IMO is one of SS's best features.
Also, we don't REALLY know anything about Xtender yet ... I haven't seen it yet - have any of you? Arguing that Xtender is as good as SS is pointless - one exists, the other doesn't yet. No one seems to pay any attention to this simple point. Let's bring this thread back to life after Xtender is actually released. Then we can have SS fans vs Xtender fans duke it out. Right now it's fans of SS vs fans of a fictitious hypothetical app (we have to believe Colin that it works for now - I'd prefer to see the app itself)
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I didn't say that, I said I offered Smoothstripes and Aqua Extreme as dlta.
You said the ones that can be used without SS you would release.

"Themes that will look ok without SS, like Aqua Extreme and SmoothStripes are distributed as dlta files, which work with both ThemeChanger and SS."

There are others on your list that would look ok without SS right?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
It has become glaringly apparent that the majority of anti-Shapeshifter people do not understand what Panther theming would be like without Shapeshifter. Shapeshifter gives Panther theming features that it does not normally have. THAT is why it has been embraced by themers. There was a huge cloud of doubt hanging in the air before the release of Panther, from the theming community. They were unsure of where theming would go when it was discovered that Panther had abandoned shaped window shadows. Many themers were ready to abandon the hobby entirely, claiming that theming would be dead with Panther's release date.

Unsanity SAVED theming by making Shapeshifter, an application that overcomes these roadblocks. I have been watching this situation for a long time. You people think Shapeshifter came out of the blue for no reason at all? It came out of necessity. You forget quickly.
Heh I know all about the history of OS X theming kwy. I know why what was made.

I am speaking about the themes that don't require SS.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Wrong.
RIGHT. I have themed Panther without SS.

I MUST HAVE DONE THE IMPOSSIBLE!!1one11

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Also, we don't REALLY know anything about Xtender yet ... I haven't seen it yet - have any of you? Arguing that Xtender is as good as SS is pointless - one exists, the other doesn't yet. No one seems to pay any attention to this simple point. Let's bring this thread back to life after Xtender is actually released. Then we can have SS fans vs Xtender fans duke it out. Right now it's fans of SS vs fans of a fictitious hypothetical app (we have to believe Colin that it works for now - I'd prefer to see the app itself)
There was a public beta on this very forum.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
There was a public beta on this very forum.
If my memory serves me right, that beta did not do a whole lot, since the engine is still missing, like you yourself have stated many times ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
If my memory serves me right, that beta did not do a whole lot, since the engine is still missing, like you yourself have stated many times ...
The engine was in the beta and theme changing was working. People were running this beta until it expired last week.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 5, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You said the ones that can be used without SS you would release.

"Themes that will look ok without SS, like Aqua Extreme and SmoothStripes are distributed as dlta files, which work with both ThemeChanger and SS."

There are others on your list that would look ok without SS right?
I'm saying that Aqua Extreme and SmoothStripes look fine without SS, so they are distributed as dlta. The only other theme that would work is Milk, and I posted a dlta version of that in my forums.
All other themes would have glitches if not used with SS. Even SS and AE does though, if you use the squared variations the shadows will not adapt to the window shapes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules