Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook g4 and Final Cut Pro

ibook g4 and Final Cut Pro
Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 06:10 PM

hi. is there anyone out there using ibook and final cut pro? I was told that I should buy a powerbook. If there is problem with dropping frames on output is it still possible to a 'first cut' on a laptop like ibook g4 and then use the desktop g4 for video mastering. Thanks for any help.
mel

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 08:10 PM

I'm sure it's going to work pretty well.... Not that long ago, the top of the line PowerBook was a 800mhz G4 (true they had L3 cache, but it should work reasonnably well).

snowdropper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 09:37 AM

I have been editing on my ibook G4 in premiere 6.5 with no problems.

Max the RAM!! I have 640, can't imagine doing it with less.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by snowdropper:
I have been editing on my ibook G4 in premiere 6.5
I hate Premiere

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I hate Premiere
why?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
why?
Start using final cut. You'll hate it too.

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2004, 09:09 PM

I've been using FCP 4.1.1 on my ibook G4/800 with no problems. Definitely max out the RAM. I thought the slow hard drive might be an issue, but it seems to be working fine. Granted, I don't do *too* many layers and compositing, but render times are quick, I don't have any problems shuttling through my timeline, and I even manage a decent number of real-time previews. In fact, I think Apple's managed to lower the hardware requirements for RT since FCP 3.

Is a Powerbook or a PowerMac G5 better for video? Of course. But the iBook's doing me just fine right now.

I have a suspicion that if there's any bottleneck to my system, it's the HD. I think that when my year of warrany is up, I'm gonna replace the stock 30 gig/4200RPM drive with a 7200 RPM drive. That alone should boost FCP performance.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Mel Dada  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 01:29 PM

I have a suspicion that if there's any bottleneck to my system, it's the HD. I think that when my year of warrany is up, I'm gonna replace the stock 30 gig/4200RPM drive with a 7200 RPM drive. That alone should boost FCP performance. [/B]
thanks for the responses. this really helps. while we're on the subject-how is it working with final cut on a 12" monitor? on my desktop system I have (2) 21 inch monitors. Granted this is a laptop and I'm interested in editing while traveling- but 12" seems an awfully small workspace. but i'd love to get the 12" for price and portability issues.

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 03:47 PM

I edit big projects off a dual G4/1.25 at work with 2 19" monitors. The ibook is for small personal projects or editing smaller video segments if I happen to be on the road. Sounds like you'd be doing something similar.

The 12" screen isn't optimal, but it is totally adequate. I'm not spoiled tho. When I started editing video on Premiere years ago, it was on a 1024x768 screen (on a Pentium 200!) If you're at a desk, the spanning hack could give you considerably more real estate.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Mel Dada  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 08:40 PM

The ibook is for small personal projects or editing smaller video segments if I happen to be on the road. Sounds like you'd be doing something similar.

The 12" screen isn't optimal, but it is totally adequate.

thanks for the responses. that's correct, I would like to use the ibook for editing while on the road. and what you say makes sense as to using the ibook for smaller segements and use it almost as a cuts only system. bring it back to the mother ship(my double monitored desktop system) do all the fine cuts rendering and transitions there.

while we're on the subject of portable editing rooms- any recommendations for reliable portable hard drives to use in conjunction with the ibook?

mel
( Last edited by Mel Dada; Mar 3, 2004 at 12:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules