Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Alternative to Sidetrack?

Alternative to Sidetrack?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:08 AM

I know this is software related but it is also Powerbook related as well.

Since Sidetrack is no longer beta, and costs 15 dollars to register, is there a open source version floating around out there?

Please no flames "just buy it you cheap @ss!" ... Some actually have budgets (such as this college student ... I would prefer having a free program than paying 15 if I can help it) Those who can afford to support mac software developers SHOULD.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

darrick
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 08:28 AM

you could try uControl. (glancing at the Sidetrack entry at versiontracker, i think Sidetrack might have more features, but uControl lets you scroll with your trackpad).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 08:49 AM

Uhh, SideTrack allows you to scroll horizontally and vertically from the trackpad.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:30 PM

I never tried sidetrack cuz I always take an external where I go, you could find really cheap and small mice at best buy for under $10 which is a better deal IMHO.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I never tried sidetrack cuz I always take an external where I go, you could find really cheap and small mice at best buy for under $10 which is a better deal IMHO.
i have an external. it's just, sometimes, when u want to do something small / simple .. it's easier not needing the mouse.

i mainly like tapping the touchpad for click/clickdrag etc

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
I know this is software related but it is also Powerbook related as well.

Since Sidetrack is no longer beta, and costs 15 dollars to register, is there a open source version floating around out there?

Please no flames "just buy it you cheap @ss!" ... Some actually have budgets (such as this college student ... I would prefer having a free program than paying 15 if I can help it) Those who can afford to support mac software developers SHOULD.
I usually take a small optical mouse with me. I mean this as no flame but, really the developer put effort into the app, its well recieved. If your on a budget then save up. You may find it difficult to locate such a specialized utility for the Mac that they give away.

Mike

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2004, 02:04 AM

Stop drinking the grey goose and buy vlad... there you go... enough money saved for a poor college student to buy sidetrack .

Seriously though... it's a valid question that I thought about asking when I found out sidetrack required a small fee. However I bit the bullet and purchased it... and it's definitely worth it.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 02:14 AM

$15? I'm a college student, and I understand being poor as hell...but $15?

That's two to three meals, man. For a program that will make your computing experience so much more convenient!

Fast one day, eat the next day, and then fast the next day. There, you're even, and you have Sidetrack...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 02:43 AM

You don't have to buy Sidetrack.

You don't have to have a PowerBook.

You don't have to have a computer.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2004, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
You don't have to buy Sidetrack.

You don't have to have a PowerBook.

You don't have to have a computer.
If you could refrain from being an asshole and/or smart-ass for one day, the world just might be a better place (that also means resisting the obvious smart-ass reply to this).

As to the question asked (and actually contributing something useful, unlike some people *ahem*), I know with uControl you can setup a key to press that will then let you scroll with the trackpad while the button is pressed (like the function key or something), but I don't think it will place scroll areas on the trackpad like sideTrack does. At least the version I currently have installed will not.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 03:20 AM

Whatever. All I'm saying is people are asking for alternatives to shareware. And if you can't handle my saying that sidetrack is an option, despite how handy it is, then you need to grow up some.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 09:28 AM

I too was surprised when the Beta of Sidetrack expired.
It took me about 30 seconds to go and purchase the shareware version.
It is one of the best apps I have ever had on a Mac.
Sure they should come with this function as standard.
It seems the price is extremely reasonable for an app I do use every moment I have the PB on.

$15.00 just isn't a lot to consider vs. the advantages.
As others have said the computer is a lot more and somehow you afforded that,Bite the bullit and eat Ramen for a week.This seems like a case of getting more than we are used to paying for.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
And if you can't handle my saying that sidetrack is an option
Q: What is an alternative to SideTrack?

A: SideTrack

Ha, no it is you who needs to go back to school for reading comprehension.

Nothing is wrong with sidetrack. I love it myself, but when someone asks for an alternative to it, you don't suggest it back. That is being a smart-ass and acting like a child.

Also the author explicitly asked for people not to recommend just buying SideTrack (obviously he is an intelligent individual and has considered buying it, but that it is not feasible). Not only the fact that you disrespected this individual by doing exactly that, but also that you obviously did not even both to read or comprehend the original posting, but yet felt compelled to reply with a remark out of nowhere telling the poster what SideTrack is and does -- when if you had read you would have seen they know exactly what SideTrack is and does -- That, is what one might call being an asshole.
( Last edited by madmacgames; Dec 12, 2004 at 12:46 PM. )
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 09:40 PM

Uhhh...

SideTrack is nagware. Even if you can't afford to pay the $15 registration fee, you can still use it.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
$15? I'm a college student, and I understand being poor as hell...but $15?

That's two to three meals, man. For a program that will make your computing experience so much more convenient!

Fast one day, eat the next day, and then fast the next day. There, you're even, and you have Sidetrack...

tavi ... 15 bucks is two or three meals for you, it's 15 meals for me. I eat plain steamed buns in chinatown during my breaks when i work. I prefer spending the 15 bucks when i can. Btw, how are you paying your way through college if you arent working?

I have to pay my own tuition. Please with the dumbass comments. you do NOT understand being poor as hell. i do not understand being poor as hell. i never got birthday/christmas gifts from my parents. i never got money for clothes. for the better part of my life, i wore hand me down jeans and t shirts that say "San Francisco" on them. they cost 4 for 10 dollars. I dont know what it means to be poor. but i'm poor enough to know that i should save that 15 bucks if need be.

*sigh*

btw guys, read that post on "perspectives" and a 17 year old named "Rick" who work at a walmarts.

madmacgames = Thanks for being defensive in my absence. While I dont think it's worth arguing, I appreciate the gesture.

Randman = You are right. You dont have to post either, but you do, and you arent being helpful. I appreciate any/all help you've given me in the past (i think a sig image) but ... If you are just going to bait/tease/mock .. why bother?

anyways .. I guess I expected flames when I put that up. Sidetrack is great and all .. too bad the beta's over. I didnt know it's nagware, because I just saw it say shareware, and a price. I didnt have time to check. I will investigate. I'll also check out those free ones suggested here. Thanks again for your suggestions everyone . Some people have better things to do with that 15 bucks. This also explains why I dont go to movies much, eat out very often, or play much in the way of video/computer games.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 06:56 PM

tavi ... 15 bucks is two or three meals for you, it's 15 meals for me. I eat plain steamed buns in chinatown during my breaks when i work. I prefer spending the 15 bucks when i can. Btw, how are you paying your way through college if you arent working?

I have to pay my own tuition. Please with the dumbass comments. you do NOT understand being poor as hell. i do not understand being poor as hell. i never got birthday/christmas gifts from my parents. i never got money for clothes. for the better part of my life, i wore hand me down jeans and t shirts that say "San Francisco" on them. they cost 4 for 10 dollars. I dont know what it means to be poor. but i'm poor enough to know that i should save that 15 bucks if need be.

*sigh*

btw guys, read that post on "perspectives" and a 17 year old named "Rick" who work at a walmarts.

madmacgames = Thanks for being defensive in my absence. While I dont think it's worth arguing, I appreciate the gesture.

Randman = You are right. You dont have to post either, but you do, and you arent being helpful. I appreciate any/all help you've given me in the past (i think a sig image) but ... If you are just going to bait/tease/mock .. why bother?

anyways .. I guess I expected flames when I put that up. Sidetrack is great and all .. too bad the beta's over. I didnt know it's nagware, because I just saw it say shareware, and a price. I didnt have time to check. I will investigate. I'll also check out those free ones suggested here. Thanks again for your suggestions everyone . Some people have better things to do with that 15 bucks. This also explains why I dont go to movies much, eat out very often, or play much in the way of video/computer games.
My apologies, Lancer. Most "poor college students" do have a few bucks to spare, and I now see that you don't. Please don't use what I said against me...I simply misinterpretted. Again, I apologize.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by MountainMac:
Uhhh...

SideTrack is nagware. Even if you can't afford to pay the $15 registration fee, you can still use it.
Wrong. It used to be like that but now it stops working completly until you register.

PowerTower Fan
Dec 20, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
Wrong. It used to be like that but now it stops working completly until you register.
How long do you have to use it till it stops working? I've been using it for almost a month now and it hasn't done that to me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2004, 02:12 AM

You're about due.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 07:17 PM

SideTrack stopped working with me too, I just downloaded it again, and it's just nagging me right now to register, so I guess it qualifies as nagware. Try downloading it again, Lancer.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
My apologies, Lancer. Most "poor college students" do have a few bucks to spare, and I now see that you don't. Please don't use what I said against me...I simply misinterpretted. Again, I apologize.
I dont mean it that way, it's just... Sidetrack isnt neccessary, but it is a sweet program. I know it seems funny that I prefer to save my cash when I own a powerbook... I just spent over 260 bucks 200 in cash, 60 for heat packs/hand warmers to give out to some homeless people in San Francisco so it looks like applecare will have to wait til sometime before the april 05 deadline. If i can sock away that 15 dollars, I'd prefer to. Btw, I'm not kidding about 15 bucks lasting 15 meals. I spent about $1.00 to @1.10 on buns in chinatown when I need to eat. If you think that's something, I'm wasteful compared to my parents. They dont eat until they get home, and can cook up some rice. The Powerbook and ipod was my splurge purchase of the past couple of years.

beeba123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 12:14 AM

so... uControl. nothing else?

apple should buy out the guy and charge everyone an extra $1.50.

--

in my experience many college students have more disposable income than us working stiffs -- i have 2 kids

but bravo to you.

SF has a lot of homeless. c older here in boston though-- 4F right now.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 06:03 PM

Side track got bloody irritating last time I tested it, it nagged me like every hour. For that reason alone I'd never register it... not to mention I rarely buy shareware.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2004, 10:19 AM

You could always steal it.

*ducks*
I have Mac

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 11:26 AM

I fail to understand how someone can be dirt poor and afford to buy a powerbook and ipod and then not want to spend an extra 15 bucks on sidetrack. And ibook plus sidetrack plus eating better would've been my choice in that sitiation. And yes, i know what it's like to be a poor college student as well.

I've looked, but Sidetrack and the other one UControl are all I found.

Adopt-A-Yankee

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 11:38 AM

About 5 minutes ago I didn't know what Sidetrack was. Now, I don't see why it costs $15. Lancer, see if anyone you know could write a similar app for you (or maybe even you yourself). I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. It's just translating input from a simple input device. Finding open-source mouse drivers for OS X (or maybe even BSD/Linux now that I think about it) would probably go a long way in helping you. You would also feel a huge sense of accomplishment resulting from this.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. It's just translating input from a simple input device.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 12:07 PM

Lancer409,

Since it is Christmas, I am willing to register it for you as a gift. However, looking at the esellerate registration page, it would appear that I would have to use my own name in order to do this. If it doesn't matter to you that your would have to enter my name in the registration field box, let me know and I will proceed.

Merry Christmas.
Agent69

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2004, 12:14 PM

Wow. that's really nice.

donniedarko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Lancer409,

Since it is Christmas, I am willing to register it for you as a gift. However, looking at the esellerate registration page, it would appear that I would have to use my own name in order to do this. If it doesn't matter to you that your would have to enter my name in the registration field box, let me know and I will proceed.

Merry Christmas.
That was the nicest thing I've seen in a long time. It makes me happy to see there are still some nice people.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Lancer409,

Merry Christmas.
=) Thank you, but dont worry about it. I am touched that you would offer to pay for a shareware program for a complete stranger (that some on these forums believe to be a total fool *eyes Randman* (j/k) but it's ok. If nothing else, I'll scrape together the cash. i'm sure you can put it to good use (considering how it's something nice to have, but not a necessity) you are the second person to offer registering it for me. Thanks again, and I am touched, but I'll decline. Merry Christmas Agent69! Merry Christmas to everyone. Stay warm and enjoy company. Family .. Friends ... Forum mates =)

Thanks again. Tuck that $15 into your rainy day fund. I appreciate the thought, and it's the thought that counts.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2004, 12:31 PM

(that some on these forums believe to be a total fool *eyes Randman* (j/k)
I think a few fools do inhabit these parts, but you're not on the list.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2004, 12:52 PM

The best alternative to SideTrack would be for Apple to build it into the next version of OS X.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
The best alternative to SideTrack would be for Apple to build it into the next version of OS X.
agreed. but, i hope they pay the sidetrack folks (or person if it's a 1 person operation) so we can avoid all the dashboard-like threads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules