Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > video proof that winxp boots on intel imac

video proof that winxp boots on intel imac
uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 12:12 PM

it's done. there is video proof of winxp in the process of being installed and already installed.

for those who want to reply: "who cares?" please find the old threads on this topic and spread your negativity there. you've already

for those who think that it is just a fake using an G5 imac, there is proof further in the video when they go into the hardware profile and show that winxp is running on a multiprocessor intel processor.

the $12900+ prize seems like it has been spoken for, except that the video did not show the abllity to dual boot on powering up. it doesn't mean that they can't do it, they just haven't showed it.

i'm sure conspiracy theorists will still find an "explanation" as to how this is still a fake

anyways, a torrent to download the video can be found here:

http://exe64.com:6969/

if you just want to view without downloading

http://www.vimeo.com.nyud.net:8090/clip=54706
( Last edited by uicandrew; Mar 15, 2006 at 12:18 PM. )
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
for those who think that it is just a fake using an G5 imac, there is proof further in the video when they go into the hardware profile and show that winxp is running on a multiprocessor intel processor.
Not to sound like a skeptic... *but* one can buy Core Duo CPUs from Newegg, today, for $250 - $300. I could easily take a movie of my desktop, and play back on a mac...

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by elvis2000
Not to sound like a skeptic... *but* one can buy Core Duo CPUs from Newegg, today, for $250 - $300. I could easily take a movie of my desktop, and play back on a mac...
while not definitive proof, in the second part of the video where they boot the iMac after installation, the sleep light is on on the front of the computer, and then turns off as it boots up. Certainly could have been superimposed on there, but it looks reasonably real enough that I wouldn't assume it's fake.

edit: better proof that it's not a G5 running a video would've been to turn the computer around and zoom in on the mini-DVI port on the back, which only the intels have. he almost does that, but then moves the camera back when it finishes booting.

"I start fires!"

mr breaker
Mar 15, 2006, 03:26 PM

http://www.onmac.net/

Page is updated...says a solution has been submitted and is being tested.

I would be very excited if I can dual boot my mac mini with XP. I do a lot of .NET development and it would be great just to have one machine.

quiklee
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 04:50 PM

so what exactly are the advantages of dual booting?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
so what exactly are the advantages of dual booting?
1 computer instead of 2. save deskspace.

ultimate compatibility with anything on one box

Jerk_circus
Mar 15, 2006, 05:45 PM

What's the deal with everyone saying "what's the point of dual booting?" Isnt it obvious? You get the benefits of 2 systems all in one. Whether its developing and testing software, or using apps unavailable for mac.

I know for everyone who owns a mac and likes playing video games, its something we've had to give up somewhat. Its not a problem for me, but I have a friend who just switched and says he misses playing games. With dual booting, he wont be missing anything.
Jerk_circus | Toronto Web Development

samslaves
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 07:41 PM

NOT REALLY.

Stop the movie at the partition screen and read:

F: Partition (EFI) [FAT32] 200MB

Then go and read this articles

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13965
http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/legacyboot/

Then if it is a fake the full screen movie was made on an Itanium machine.

Sam

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2006, 07:57 PM

It will be a dark day when Windows booting is accomplished on Mactels. At that point a great virus will be unleashed that will wreak unprecedented havoc and destruction on our platform.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
It will be a dark day when Windows booting is accomplished on Mactels. At that point a great virus will be unleashed that will wreak unprecedented havoc and destruction on our platform.
Oddly enough I've been dual-booting Windows XP and OS X for well over 6 months now, and I've yet to see this plague decend upon the mac platform.

Face it, your hardware innards are now no different than any other PC out there, and your platform can and will run on most modern PC's.

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 08:25 PM

Who cares?

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 08:25 PM

Big Mac cares. he's been heralding the death of the Mac ever since Job's announced Apple was going Intel.

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 16, 2006, 01:44 AM

The contest site has been updated.

Contest has been won - updates to follow shortly. All further donations will go into an account to sustain the open source project that will be launched with the initial solution.
Yay!?

mr breaker
Mar 16, 2006, 10:51 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mr breaker
I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this.
I'm excited...now I'm just waiting for someone to get XP running inside a VM. Maybe VMWare (most likely) or even Virtual PC.

That, and if Apple can hurry up and get a MBP in a 12" or 13" form factor. My credit card is ready
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Maybe you should just stick with your PPC mac for ever and let people who like progress enjoy having options available to them.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 06:13 PM

The camera man could of at least used a tripod! This is almost like watching UFO video tapes on
television. I wonder if this person has used a video camera before. I'm curious, why is there a Windows symbol with a gray screen? I don't remember seeing that when I installed Windows XP on a PC.

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
I'm curious, why is there a Windows symbol with a gray screen? I don't remember seeing that when I installed Windows XP on a PC.
since it is a dual boot system, the windows symbol signifies that the winxp partition is booting instead of the mac osX partition

kick52
Baninated
Mar 17, 2006, 09:44 AM

the video (no download) link doesnt work, well on this boxp anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules