Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best Mac OS antivirus software?

Best Mac OS antivirus software?
fuzzball963
Banned
Aug 16, 2006, 10:20 PM

I know that this isn't a topic discussed in relation to Mac OSX much, but I'm looking for opinions on a virus protection program for my Macbook Pro that won't hit system resources like Norton and Mcafee do. I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin for my Windows machines but the sysadmin at my local college insists that I have to have it even on a mac or I don't get on the campus network .

Anyone have any suggestions?

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 10:24 PM

"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 12:11 AM

^ Seconded.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 02:08 PM

best protection ="fuzzball963"
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 08:27 PM

Actually this is a topic often discussed. Please do a search next time, and post in the correct forum.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2006, 12:23 PM

...but be prepared for a lot of controversy. A lot of Mac users steadfastly think that their Macs are invulnerable, armor plated computing monsters that nothing can hurt. They're wrong; the Mac platform and OS are both vulnerable, just not nearly as vulnerable as the PC platform and Windows OS.

And there are people who have had bad experiences with some AV software on the Mac platform, particularly Norton Antivirus for Mac. I don't know how they've had such bad experiences, since we've been running that software (always the current version) on my wife's G4 800MHz iBook since we got it and never had a bobble. (That's the kind of statement that starts arguments here, by the way-"I've always had it crash my Mac because..." or "it destroyed my Mac for no reason..." are the typical responses.)

But free is very good, so Clam, in concert with the OS X firewall, is a good choice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules