Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BBEdit 8.5 - is this a joke?

BBEdit 8.5 - is this a joke?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 10:12 PM

What's going on here Bare Bones? You brag about the new interface and when I go and look, it's even worse? I thought you were going to do a real revamp, but no. And how do I make those huge icons in the toolbar smaller? The prefs are just as cluttered as before. The only good thing I see is code folding.

Come on. It's time to rewrite it, don't you think? Perhaps with v9.. is that coming out soon?

OreoCookie
Sep 8, 2006, 04:29 AM

I also quickly tried it out. They advertise code folding as a feature …�but it seems to be `manual' code folding, i. e. you select something and then select Fold

After using TextMate for quite some time now, I'm underwhelmed
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 05:37 AM

BBEdit and TextWrangler should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, preferably in the same casket with OS 9.

There are already enough text editors in OS X. Apple even gave them to you for free as part of the installation.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 03:41 PM

its fast.
Besides that, it blows. Its so out dated and a nice example of how old and crappy Carbon really is.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
BBEdit and TextWrangler should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, preferably in the same casket with OS 9.

There are already enough text editors in OS X. Apple even gave them to you for free as part of the installation.
Not really. There's emacs (lol), pico (rofl), vi (wtf?) and TextEdit (uh…yeah). None of these provide a decent combination of user-friendliness and power.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 04:48 PM

The only people that can truly appreciate BBEdit, sadly, are users who explore, and have a need for, it's advanced features. It is still an indispensable tool to many...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
its fast.
Besides that, it blows. Its so out dated and a nice example of how old and crappy Carbon really is.
Care to elaborate, or is this just a Cocoa-troll?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I also quickly tried it out. They advertise code folding as a feature …but it seems to be `manual' code folding, i. e. you select something and then select Fold
It may depend on the language you're working with, with Objective-C files BBEdit places disclosure triangles next to each funtion...here's a screenshot.

http://eagle.he.net/~sjwood/misc/folding.jpg
Lots of older Macs

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2006, 05:06 PM

Ah, ok, then that's similar to TextMate's code folding. However, it didn't work out of the box with my LaTeX sample document.

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:25 PM

Yeah, besides some web stuff I use BBEdit a lot for ObjC files, wasn't sure about it's behavior with other languages.
Lots of older Macs

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2006, 06:37 PM

@techtrucker
I'm curious, have you tried TextMate?

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:40 PM

No, I haven't. Not for any particular reason, I guess I've been content with the tools I've been using. But now you've got me intrigued, and I will have to download it and check it out!
Lots of older Macs

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 08:59 PM

Yeah, I'm probably going to ditch BBEdit too... Textmate looks far nicer, and is also far cheaper.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 11:12 PM

BBEdit has no replacement for me, I didn't care for Textmate when I tried it.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2006, 06:38 AM

To everyone who tries TextMate, take a look at the webcasts if you can. The editor itself looks quite spartan at first, but once you get the hang of it, there is no editor I have tried which comes even close to it.

Projects are a nice way to manage your work. They don't have to reflect the actual file structure, but they can.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur
BBEdit has no replacement for me, I didn't care for Textmate when I tried it.

Just out of curiosity, what features does BBEdit have that are deal breakers for you? What keeps you using BBEdit?

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 12:04 PM

For me it's just plain old familiarity, I've used it since v 2.x and know every keyboard shortcut, etc.

I will admit it's not as indispensable as it once was, back in the day there wasn't anything that could touch it.
Lots of older Macs

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 02:29 PM

For me, mainly, the system wide GREP, multiple files anywhere, not just projects. I do GREP across folders, multiple open files, and sometimes servers. I dont have to create a project to manage these files I can manage them as I want myself, faster.

FTP browse now, was a big one for me since I open several files per server, very often.

The shell script integration.

The ASCII/HEX pallete comes in handy since I work with a lot of XML/HTML/XSL/XSLT/CSS files, and have to move back and forth often.

I LIKE the interface

I know the shortcuts.

File compare comes in handy as well.

Textmate felt more tooled towards people familiar with XCode, seeing how the projects are approached. For me thats not efficent on my workflow. I deal with PHP, SQL, Javascript, HTML, XML, XSL, and CSS mostly. BBedit fills that workflow for me better, not to say Textmate is a bad app, I can see why some people like it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules