Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Canonical Thinking of Dumping Ubuntu PPC

Canonical Thinking of Dumping Ubuntu PPC
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 07:34 AM

For those who are using or thinking about trying out Ubuntu on their PowerPC Macs and haven't heard the news, I want to direct your attention to the movement in the Ubuntu PPC community to have Canonical reconsider.

Ubuntu Wiki: Power PC Review

PowerPC, already a significantly less mainstream architecture than x86(-64), has seen its visibility further reduced by the fact that Apple, the primary source of consumer PowerPC hardware, has moved away from the platform. Ubuntu needs to decide whether PowerPC should continue as a fully supported platform for the feisty release.
Ubuntu Forums: PPC users need to wake up and let your voices be heard now!

Originally Posted by stream303
I almost have the feeling that we are getting labeled as Commodore-64 holdouts who should just open their wallets and replace their systems with X86 every 2 years.
Ubuntu Wiki: Petition to Save PPC (Launchpad account required to edit Wiki entry)

Fedora has also entertained the idea of dumping PPC support but that wiki page in question was edited to read x86-64 instead of PowerPC.

I myself have contributed both to the Ubuntu forums thread discussion and the Save PPC petition, and I urge other PPC Ubuntu users to do the same. Personally between my girlfriend and myself we have 3 older PPC Macs running Ubuntu (2 of them dual-booting with Tiger) and it would be a real shame if those who are looking to hold onto their PPC hardware but want to stay current have to either turn to Gentoo or Debian, both of which are certainly not friendly to Linux newbies. There is also YDL, but they seem more focused on the PS3.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 12:45 PM

No! This is the worst possible news for older Mac users who still want an update, robust and secure operating system. I was just going to update my mothers new to her 400 MHz iMac with Ubuntu (I wish there was a Mac Xubuntu). I will sign the petition, but imagine at this point it won't do a whole lot of good. Maybe we can make a donation or something to show our support?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
I wish there was a Mac Xubuntu.
There is. You can also get XFCE by doing an apt-get install xubuntu-desktop from any Gnome or KDE install. The problem is that the version of XFCE in the repositories (at least for Dapper) is older. There is a How To in the HowTo's forum which will tell you how to compile the latest release (RC2).
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules